Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Desktop or Laptop Person ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Desktop or Laptop Person ? - Page 3

post #31 of 46
desktop user here

...unfortunately my laptop is on permanent loan to my sister (it was nice to have handy for living room use though)
post #32 of 46
Main home use, desktop self built:

C2D 2.4Ghz
8800GTX
8GB ram
3 TB's of storage and growing
Vista 64 ultimate
42" 1080P widescreen


But I am away from home alot on deployments and ready crew duties, so I use my laptop just about as much:

Big laptop : Gateway 6860FX Gateway - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - P-6860FX , but I changed the CPU to a T9300 and addd a second 320GB HDD....so, T9300, 4GB ram, 640GB storage, Vista ultimate 64, 17" widescreen

Ultra portable : Fujitsu U810 800MHz cpu, 1gb ram, 120GB HDD, Vista home premium x86, 5.6" widescreen





Generally, I find my small laptops alot more useful...not my ultraportable though. I made a mistake getting that. It is too small. I had a 12.1" laptop before and that was my favorite thing to use for everything computer related. When it failed, I went for the U810, but after owning it, I think something @10" would have been best.
post #33 of 46
desklap person
post #34 of 46
Using a basic HP desktop with 2 ghz duo core. The 22" widescreen monitor that came with it is just fabulous though. I want to switch to a Thinkpad someday with the docking station.
post #35 of 46
Desktop, never have any laptop, ever even though I've finish my diploma. My father never bother to lend me or buy me a laptop, even my entire desktop history I bought it by my pocket money
post #36 of 46
w/ my macbook, I use it 80% of the time since it's very portable. Mostly I use it for internet browsing and IM'ing

For serious works such as: photo editing, word processing. I still prefer to use my desktop.
post #37 of 46
Definitely a laptop person.

Apple Macbook Pro (15")
2.4 GHz Penryn
2 GB RAM
200 GB HD
Dual-boot Mac OS X 10.5.3 and Windows XP Pro SP3 (for gaming only)
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
Main home use, desktop self built:

C2D 2.4Ghz
8800GTX
8GB ram
3 TB's of storage and growing
Vista 64 ultimate
42" 1080P widescreen


But I am away from home alot on deployments and ready crew duties, so I use my laptop just about as much:

Big laptop : Gateway 6860FX Gateway - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - P-6860FX , but I changed the CPU to a T9300 and addd a second 320GB HDD....so, T9300, 4GB ram, 640GB storage, Vista ultimate 64, 17" widescreen

Ultra portable : Fujitsu U810 800MHz cpu, 1gb ram, 120GB HDD, Vista home premium x86, 5.6" widescreen





Generally, I find my small laptops alot more useful...not my ultraportable though. I made a mistake getting that. It is too small. I had a 12.1" laptop before and that was my favorite thing to use for everything computer related. When it failed, I went for the U810, but after owning it, I think something @10" would have been best.
thats spmw good work do you fit the 2nd hdd in the optical bay like me?
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al4x View Post
thats spmw good work do you fit the 2nd hdd in the optical bay like me?
No, the P-6860FX has a 2nd hard drive bay.
post #40 of 46
MACBOOK PRO 15
2GHZ Duo Core
2GB 667 MHz ram
80 GB HD
External 300GB Lacie hd
post #41 of 46
Since I'm a college student, definitely a laptop person. I'm still chugging along on a 12" Powerbook G4. I carry it between home and work every day and it's perfect. It just fits into my messenger bag during the school year, too. The small screen is never a problem for me, but occasionally I do use my family's small form factor PC with a 20" monitor for heavy Excel work. The G4 processor does get me down sometimes, usually with poorly optimized stuff like Flash and Office 2008.

Even though I have enough money for a fancy new laptop, I can't bring myself to replace the Powerbook. This thing has been with me on trips all through mainland China, Tibet, Mexico, and soon Europe. Just about every paper and project I've done in the last four years have been on it. I think, to say I am attached to my laptop would be an understatement
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncookiecutter View Post
No, the P-6860FX has a 2nd hard drive bay.
ah, the dual bay once ive seen are huge
post #43 of 46
Desktop person myself.

My rig is kinda old though, and I game much less than I used to, so haven't had the urge to upgrade it:

Case: NZXT Lexa
Mobo: DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR eXpert
CPU: AMD Opteron 165 1.8GHz Dual Core @ 2.7GHz (1.45v)
RAM: 2x1GB G.Skill Extreme HZ PC4000
GPU: EVGA 7900GT CO SuperClocked @ 650/1750 MHz (1.5v vmod)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Platinum
HDDs: (1) 200GB Maxtor Diamondmax 10 7200RPM 16MB Cache IDE
(1) 500GB Seagate 7200.10 Perpendicular 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA
(1) 120GB Seagate 7200.9 5400RPM 8MB Cache IDE
Monitor: Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen LCD
Speakers: Swans M200 Multimedia Bookshelf Speakers
post #44 of 46
Desktop right now, considering a laptop for my next purchase-

Currently, home built PC:
Athlon 3200
1.5 GB RAM
X800 Video card
Creative X-Fi, digital out to HD DAC
2x15 gb raptors 10000 RPM, RAID 0
320 gb media drive
24" HP monitor
Vista ultimate
post #45 of 46

Both!

I have a desktop upstairs with a 19" monitor that I use when I need a bigger screen (photo editing etc) or for burning CDs/DVDs etc, and a laptop just for sheer convenience. I've had desktops since 2000 and laptops since 2004. But I look upon my laptop the same way I do my mobile/cell phone - as extras, whereas my desktop and landline are my absolute staples!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Desktop or Laptop Person ?