Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Thinking about a K1000 amp around $200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking about a K1000 amp around $200

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Sorry if this was posted before, but I am looking for a good bang/buck amp for the K1000. I had my eyes on the big joe but I want to see other suggestions.
post #2 of 15
Some suggestions in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/pri...-k1000-221804/
post #3 of 15
I'm running mine through a glite while I wait for a GS-X. It works in a pinch...
post #4 of 15
A vintage Marantz speaker amplifier (from the 1970 era) will compete with any uber-expensive headphone amp for the K1000.

And there is an explanation to this.

a) those Marantz amps were the best speaker amps (reasonable) money could buy at that time (and at anytime, I would say).

b) the K1000 were designed not for being used with a dedicated headphone amp, but to be connected to the terminals of a SPEAKER amp.

a & b => QED
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Crap, where do I get a pigtail cable for cheap?!
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymadison View Post
Crap, where do I get a pigtail cable for cheap?!
Er I mean, banana plugs....
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsborken View Post
I'm running mine through a glite while I wait for a GS-X. It works in a pinch...
How's the sound with the gilmore lite? Since that's the amp I will be using for the time being
post #8 of 15
Run it off a vintage receiver or an older power amp. Sometimes, you can find a Carver, NAD, Bryston, or others under $200. The K-1000 was designed to run off a power amp, after all.

Currently, I run them from a Conrad-Johnson MV-52, and (sooner or later) will turn a pile of parts into Millett's ECC99 amp he designed for the K-1000. I have the parts but not the time. Sigh.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
I guess I am unoriginal, but I just went with the Big Joe.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymadison View Post
I guess I am unoriginal, but I just went with the Big Joe.
Thats probably not a bad choice.
Let us know what you think of the combination..
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
A vintage Marantz speaker amplifier (from the 1970 era) will compete with any uber-expensive headphone amp for the K1000.

And there is an explanation to this.

a) those Marantz amps were the best speaker amps (reasonable) money could buy at that time (and at anytime, I would say).

b) the K1000 were designed not for being used with a dedicated headphone amp, but to be connected to the terminals of a SPEAKER amp.

a & b => QED
Some things are difficult for me to find in Japan, but inexpensive manufacturer-refurbished vintage amps (Marantz, Luxman) can easily be found. Any specific suggestions? I am using a Leben CS300 at the moment and it sounds fabulous but I would be curious to try it with something else.
post #12 of 15
sony str-de835 or similar..you can find one for 100-150 on ebay...lots of power.k1000 sounds very dynamic with this amp.
Unfortunately ,every time you improve your frontend you'll hear it thru the k1000's.....it gets addicting.That's why I'm using the CARY 805c amp with mine.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gu Sensei View Post
Some things are difficult for me to find in Japan, but inexpensive manufacturer-refurbished vintage amps (Marantz, Luxman) can easily be found. Any specific suggestions? I am using a Leben CS300 at the moment and it sounds fabulous but I would be curious to try it with something else.
Check this: Marantz's Legendary Audio Classics - The Collector's Pages

I myself have a 2285 receiver, it sounds fabulous with the K1000.

I would say you can't go wrong with any model of integrated amp or receiver listed there.
post #14 of 15
The Big Joe does a decent job with the K1000, not optimal of course but it's a good little amp.
post #15 of 15
Check Marantz PM80 MKII 2 x 20W pure A class
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Thinking about a K1000 amp around $200