or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › 4th & 5th Gen ipod DAC's superior to 3rd Gen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4th & 5th Gen ipod DAC's superior to 3rd Gen? - Page 2  

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
It's the same as What did you do to ensure your opinion that HD650 and HD600 sound different is sound? and What did you do to ensure your opinion that Lisa and PRII sound different is sound? I hope I don't need to make anymore useless explanation to this. Just use the same system and swap around things you want to test, normally headphone but this time DAP...and listen to it with everyone in there then discuss.....
The differences between transducers are entirely different from the differences between sources and amps. The same standard applies to your iPod comparisons as would apply to a comparison of the amps you mentioned. Without at least level matching, any comparison is largely worthless.
post #17 of 42
difference? prove it. I'm tired of seeing no-proof statement acting as it's de facto standard fact.
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
difference? prove it. I'm tired of seeing no-proof statement acting as it's de facto standard fact.
...what? Which difference? Everything I've said has been common sense thusfar.
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
ummm.....I meant to say bs for bigshot since its easier to type...
I own seven iPods which I use on a daily basis... 3G, 4G photo, 5.5G and Classic. I've carefully compared all of them in level balanced A/B tests with both headphones and speakers. No difference. I can't speak for the iPhone, Mini or Touch because I don't own those. I haven't bothered to compare the iPhone because I don't use it for music.

You can feel free to try it yourself. The results you achieve will depend on how controlled your comparisons are. Good luck determining a difference in a carefully conducted blind test with any degree of accuracy.

See ya
Steve
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
My friend use stock grade mini to rca cable to connect to his speaker with iPod as source to play.
No mention of a dock. I bet that's the problem. The output of the headphone jack varies from iPod to iPod. The line out doesn't. (Also, it would help to connect the iPod to a preamp rather than patching it directly into a speaker!)

See ya
Steve
post #21 of 42
Too bad, I own all iPods since gen3 too and I never found anything the same from lineout. Maybe you should mail to apple support for this matter.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
Too bad, I own all iPods since gen3 too and I never found anything the same from lineout. Maybe you should mail to apple support for this matter.
This goes back to my original question, for the fourth time. To what measures did you go to ensure your conclusions are sound? Steve explained that hey used very carefully level matched A/B tests, while the closest you've come to giving a coherant answer is that you connected them to a speaker (??), not mentioning anything of the levels or any other methodology.
post #23 of 42
How many iPods do you own WindowsX? Your sig says you only own one.

See ya
Steve
post #24 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
Too bad, I own all iPods since gen3 too and I never found anything the same from lineout. Maybe you should mail to apple support for this matter.

It looks like he owns all ipods since the 3rd.....

Hey WindowsX,

Where do you live in Thailand? I'd love to have a real Papaya Salad made in Thailand....I love the stuff.
post #25 of 42
It's hella delicious . I think I shold ignore those two ppl.....I told them many times I used the same speaker system with iPod's lineout which are identical to all iPods in testing for A/B test with speaker (g3, Photo, Touch, Classic). I don't care anymore if it's different from very carefully level matched A/B tests Also, I also did another comparison by myself with g3, g4 and Photo with Lisa III at the same volume in the same time (A/B test with Lisa)

iPods I owned: g3, RWA iMod Photox2, Photox2, g4 (sold), video (sold), classic (sold). Video 5.0 also sucks for SQ so Apple launched 5.5 to fix SQ problem.
post #26 of 42
You're right, WindowsX. If you don't want to listen, it probably would be best to ignore.

I know a few great places here in LA for Som Tom, ratdog. (I don't care for the mashed up crab shells myself- I get it "mai ow poo".)

See ya
Steve
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
It's hella delicious . I think I shold ignore those two ppl.....I told them many times I used the same speaker system with iPod's lineout which are identical to all iPods in testing for A/B test with speaker (g3, Photo, Touch, Classic). I don't care anymore if it's different from very carefully level matched A/B tests Also, I also did another comparison by myself with g3, g4 and Photo with Lisa III at the same volume in the same time (A/B test with Lisa)

iPods I owned: g3, RWA iMod Photox2, Photox2, g4 (sold), video (sold), classic (sold). Video 5.0 also sucks for SQ so Apple launched 5.5 to fix SQ problem.
All I'm (we're?) trying to do is make your comments more useful to anyone who may be reading. Without level matching properly, you in fact don't have any idea which one sounded better or worse. Connecting them to the same speaker system simply isn't good enough to come to such a conclusion.

Anyway, this is probably going nowhere. You seem like the type who won't except reason.
post #28 of 42
its you who have no reason. lineout doesn't have volume control so if volume and sound signature doesn't come out right the same, it means each iPod has different volume and signature. And you just keep being...errr....to believe that it's all the same still just because volume isn't exactly the same. sigh.....
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
its you who have no reason. lineout doesn't have volume control so if volume and sound signature doesn't come out right the same, it means each iPod has different volume and signature. And you just keep being...errr....to believe that it's all the same still just because volume isn't exactly the same. sigh.....
I know a lineout doesn't have volume control, that's why you have to level match. How do you think people compare CD players or turntables? The fact that they all have different volumes (if that's the case) is exactly why you can't comment on their sound signatures without matching volumes first.

I don't believe anything about the relative sound quality of iPods, as I've already said in this thread. All I'm trying to do is make what you're saying useful. We have one person who's done a proper comparison and come to the conclusion that they sound the same. On the other hand, we have one person who says they're all different but hasn't compared them in a way that allows him to make that statement with any level of certainty. I'm totally open to the possibility that they all sound different, it's just that you haven't presented any reason that's the case.

Now please, make an effort to understand what I'm saying.
post #30 of 42
Alright alright.....you don't even know its my sarcasm. All iPods before classic series down to gen3 has the same volume (2vrms output). There's no need to make volume matching at all since it's sounding at the same level output current and voltage. But for classic, it has 0.75vrms output for lineout. Anyone who sound them the same to classic should reconsider your ears. I won't reply to lazy ass people who can't do own comparison anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › 4th & 5th Gen ipod DAC's superior to 3rd Gen?