Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best audiophile metal and rock albums
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best audiophile metal and rock albums - Page 17

post #241 of 352

17 pages and the question is still open ended, any sub genre preferences in both metal and rock?

post #242 of 352

I find Tool - Lateralus and Aenima to have a very good sound, Opeth as well. My problem is that the bands I really enjoy for the music itself, don't have a good sound quality :D I also like how Poets of the Fall sound in general. Pink Floyd are very good as well, especially if you consider the year when the albums were recorded, the quality is very good (for instance the dark side of the moon is from 1973). And finally I think I could go with Metallica's Black Album despite my overall disappointment from the quality of their records... i mean, they could afford better...

post #243 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMB1 View Post

I find Tool - Lateralus and Aenima to have a very good sound, Opeth as well. My problem is that the bands I really enjoy for the music itself, don't have a good sound quality :D I also like how Poets of the Fall sound in general. Pink Floyd are very good as well, especially if you consider the year when the albums were recorded, the quality is very good (for instance the dark side of the moon is from 1973). And finally I think I could go with Metallica's Black Album despite my overall disappointment from the quality of their records... i mean, they could afford better...


Deicide's latest is quite excellent in overall tonality. In the Minds of Evil.

If you like something a little more harmonic and less technical, almost any of Draconian's albums of the past few years are positively majestic.

Personally I'm particularly enjoying Deathspell Omega's Paracletus. Enslaved's RIITIR also.

So much good metal out this past year.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #244 of 352

Just discovered a little gemm. Worth listening to every second.

 

 


Edited by spitf1r3 - 12/19/13 at 11:31pm
post #245 of 352

Rammstein - Herzeleid (A little Bright but very detailed)

Rammstein - Mutter (Warm and has a lot of ambiance to the drums and electric guitars. has depth)

Rammstein - Reise, Reise (Very Warm and has the "acoustic sound" to it)

Deftones - White Pony (Warm and laid-back feeling)

Godsmack - The Other Side (Warm-ish and detailed)

Godsmack - Godsmack (Detailed, Has a little ambiance to guitars) 

Apocalyptica - Reflections (Warm)

Apocalyptica - Apocalyptica (Neutral. No instrument over powers others)

Metallica - Load (Strong Acoustics, and semi-warm)

System of a Down - Toxicity (Very Warm and detailed)

System of a Down - Steal This Album! (Same as Toxicity)

post #246 of 352

Cynic - Focus

Cynic - Traced in Air

Soen - Cognitive

Marty Friedman - Scenes

Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah

Death - Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic, Sound of Perseverance (the remastered ones)

Hall & Oates - Abandoned Luncheonette (this album is insanely good)

post #247 of 352

Wow this that David Maxim Micic album^^^ is really ****** good. Thanks!

 

Also, can anyone recommend something similar to this? It kind of reminds me of early Dream Theater

post #248 of 352

Totally agree on David Maxim Micic.  Went over to bandcamp and immediately followed him.  Will have to pick this up soon. :D

post #249 of 352

Wintersun Time I appears to be a very well recorded album. It receives a 10 on the dynamic range chart which is better than the vast majority of my metal which resides around 5-6 on the DR scale. Cannibal Corpse the Bleeding and Metallica Black album also scored around the same.

 

Anyways, I have been playing around with testing the quality of recorded tracks and was wondering which programs can you test/see the clipping of tracks?

post #250 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak054 View Post

Wintersun Time I appears to be a very well recorded album. It receives a 10 on the dynamic range chart which is better than the vast majority of my metal which resides around 5-6 on the DR scale. Cannibal Corpse the Bleeding and Metallica Black album also scored around the same.

Anyways, I have been playing around with testing the quality of recorded tracks and was wondering which programs can you test/see the clipping of tracks?

Audacity has a 'show clipping' option. You can also generally get an idea how brickwalled something is with it, too.
post #251 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliboeus View Post

along with what has already been posted...i find most Dream Theater stuff to be very well produced, with a balanced mix of the instruments, no one is overpowering

I agree wholeheartedly! Special props go to Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory. Fantastic album that sounds divine through a good setup. As we speak I'm actually ripping their newest album to foobar and am pretty excited to give it a listen.

post #252 of 352

Erra - Augment

Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth

Darkest Hour - Deliver Us

All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals

Killswitch Engage - The End Of Heartache / As Daylight Dies

Unearth - Darkness In The Light

This or the Apocalypse - Dead Years

Underoath - Define The Great Line / Lost In The Sound Of Separation

Times Of Grace - The Hymn Of A Broken Man

The Contortionist - Exoplanet

August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore

Counterparts - The Current Will Carry Us / The Difference Between Hell & Home

Misery Signals - Controller

 

Funeral for a Friend - Hours

Saosin - Saosin

Blink-182 - Blink-182

The Story So Far - What You Don't See / Under Soil And Dirt

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

The Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness / Siamese Dream

post #253 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnidae View Post
 

Erra - Augment

Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth

Darkest Hour - Deliver Us

All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals

Killswitch Engage - The End Of Heartache / As Daylight Dies

Unearth - Darkness In The Light

This or the Apocalypse - Dead Years

Underoath - Define The Great Line / Lost In The Sound Of Separation

Times Of Grace - The Hymn Of A Broken Man

The Contortionist - Exoplanet

August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore

Counterparts - The Current Will Carry Us / The Difference Between Hell & Home

Misery Signals - Controller

 

Funeral for a Friend - Hours

Saosin - Saosin

Blink-182 - Blink-182

The Story So Far - What You Don't See / Under Soil And Dirt

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

The Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness / Siamese Dream

 

Haven't listened to saosin since 2004.. I should still have their cd buried somewhere too.

post #254 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelbelow View Post
 

 

Haven't listened to saosin since 2004.. I should still have their cd buried somewhere too.

 

Ha nice. Translating the Name is still one of the best EPs around in my books. You should consider giving it a spin some time - even if it's just for the sake of nostalgia.

 

Means you probably haven't heard the self-titled though in that case. Different vocalist to Translating's Anthony Green, but Cove absolutely knocks it out of the park as far as I'm concerned & the melodies & guitar work are simply stellar. There's a reason it's one of my favourite albums ever. Definitely worth checking out mate.

post #255 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnidae View Post
 

 

Ha nice. Translating the Name is still one of the best EPs around in my books. You should consider giving it a spin some time - even if it's just for the sake of nostalgia.

 

Means you probably haven't heard the self-titled though in that case. Different vocalist to Translating's Anthony Green, but Cove absolutely knocks it out of the park as far as I'm concerned & the melodies & guitar work are simply stellar. There's a reason it's one of my favourite albums ever. Definitely worth checking out mate.

 

Will do!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best audiophile metal and rock albums