Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best audiophile metal and rock albums
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best audiophile metal and rock albums - Page 12

post #166 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy1969 View Post

 

I'd maybe try "In Absentia", "Deadwing" or "The Incident". It took me a little while to really "get" them, until I watched the "Arriving Somewhere..." live DVD and everything clicked!

I tried "The Incident"  and didn't like it.  I think the drumming is awesome for most of the tracks the guy has a great sound for sure.  But the lyrics and his singing make me want to take a power drill to my head. 

post #167 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhat201 View Post

I tried "The Incident"  and didn't like it.  I think the drumming is awesome for most of the tracks the guy has a great sound for sure.  But the lyrics and his singing make me want to take a power drill to my head. 

 

Fair enough - you may just never like them then. Your experience mirrors mine with Dream Theater!

post #168 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy1969 View Post

 

Fair enough - you may just never like them then. Your experience mirrors mine with Dream Theater!

Yeah it must!  I love Dream Theater.  Though his voice does irritate me after a while.  It's just so high and predictable. But both bands in my opinion have to notch drummers... Well Dream Theater used to not so sure now. 

post #169 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhat201 View Post

Yeah it must!  I love Dream Theater.  Though his voice does irritate me after a while.  It's just so high and predictable. But both bands in my opinion have to notch drummers... Well Dream Theater used to not so sure now. 

 

Understood. The most obvious point of any band is generally the singer, and if that's a point we can't get along with then we won't get along with the band, no matter how talented the musicians.

 

Usually.

 

Why do I love Rush????? (maybe because I've had 25 years or so of listening to them to get used to Geddy's whine)

post #170 of 346

As long as Rudess is in DT, I will be into them. That dude is insanely talented.

post #171 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

As long as Rudess is in DT, I will be into them. That dude is insanely talented.

I agree.  He's the guy that showed me that keyboards could be cool. His work in Liquid Tension Experiment is amazing as well. 

post #172 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhat201 View Post

Yeah it must!  I love Dream Theater.  Though his voice does irritate me after a while.  It's just so high and predictable. But both bands in my opinion have to notch drummers... Well Dream Theater used to not so sure now. 

 

You're not sure about Mike Mangini being top notch?

post #173 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongol View Post

 

You're not sure about Mike Mangini being top notch?

Actually I haven't listened to anything with out Portnoy.  I'm behind the curve on DT right now.

post #174 of 346

There's really only been 1 album without Portnoy so far, and all the fan boys were whining about it...but I think they're full of crap. Dramatic Turn of Events is a great album, IMO.

 

I do think the 'golden years' will be with Rudess and Portnoy though. 2000-2010.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhat201 View Post

Actually I haven't listened to anything with out Portnoy.  I'm behind the curve on DT right now.

post #175 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

There's really only been 1 album without Portnoy so far, and all the fan boys were whining about it...but I think they're full of crap. Dramatic Turn of Events is a great album, IMO.

 

I do think the 'golden years' will be with Rudess and Portnoy though. 2000-2010.

 

I saw that came out.  I'm gonna wait until I'm back stateside before I pick it up. My only other option right now is iTunes and I don't want to do that.

post #176 of 346

Honestly it's a pretty good sounding album. I personally think 256AAC is fine, but it's up to you. I bought the CD and really want to pick up the LPs as they're getting a bit harder to find.

 

I've stood by it since release. It's definitely not their worst album to date, and it flows quite nicely in general. Overall I really liked it.

 

All this talk reminds me I need to listen to my RSD Liquid Tension Experiment LPs tonight.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhat201 View Post

I saw that came out.  I'm gonna wait until I'm back stateside before I pick it up. My only other option right now is iTunes and I don't want to do that.

post #177 of 346
I saw Mangini play with DT just after the album dropped in NY and I think he's great. I'm a long time DT fan and even grew up near their hometown. The fact that Portnoy was fired bothered me since it was his HS band. But music is business for recording artists and I understand what happened. I felt the same when Kevin Moore left especially in exchange for Sherinian which I really didn't like. And then they got Rudess and there aren't words for how awesome he is. I'll continue to follow them no matter their roster change.
post #178 of 346
The Van Halen HDTracks releases sound great. VH1 is even a good upgrade over the DCC. One of the few HDTracks releases that is better than the best CD version.
post #179 of 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrho View Post

The Van Halen HDTracks releases sound great. VH1 is even a good upgrade over the DCC. One of the few HDTracks releases that is better than the best CD version.

Just a heads up on those van haven remasters, davebsc put some investigative work in on them here http://www.metal-fi.com/hdtracks-everybody-wants-some/ and here http://www.metal-fi.com/hdtracks-fair-warning/
post #180 of 346

Vinyl may have higher dynamics, but I 'm not able to get used to the clicks and pops... A high DR isn't everything, DR12 can sound better than DR14...

 

The HDTracks versions sound more detailed than the CD versions (first pressings or DCC).

The 24/96 and 24/192 is unnecessary as always...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Best audiophile metal and rock albums