New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bicycle-Fi! - Page 260

post #3886 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

 

Lovely ride !

 

What's that crankset ?

Thank you! Digging your Synapse, too :) Who's making your wheels, and what will they be?

 

Cranks on mine are SRAM Force, which was spec'd with the bike that year. I've replaced the original 50/34 Rival chain rings with a set of 52/38 Red chain rings (2012 model, I think), which was the largest size I could get in a 110mm BCD.

post #3887 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podster View Post
 

So I was out and about buying new tubes and tires for my son's Felt and I never thought I would see the day when a consumer grade bike would cost 4 times what I paid for my first car:blink: This little jewel right here had an $8200.00 tag on it:eek: It's official, I'm not getting old I am OLD:o

 

An odd statement coming from and audio guy! Look at the price of audio gear now! BTW........nice bike.

post #3888 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by C38368 View Post
 

Thank you! Digging your Synapse, too :) Who's making your wheels, and what will they be?

 

Cranks on mine are SRAM Force, which was spec'd with the bike that year. I've replaced the original 50/34 Rival chain rings with a set of 52/38 Red chain rings (2012 model, I think), which was the largest size I could get in a 110mm BCD.

 

It's a lovely ride, the more I'm on it the more I like it. Smooth and quick. DI2 is pretty fantastic too. 

 

The wheels will be based around hope(deep blue)  RS4 hubs (originally wanted to build them around White Industries hubs, but they too much of a financial stretch) and feature assymetrical alu rims designed by my wheelbuilder and made in Asia, the wheel builder being local to me (literally a mile away). 

 

Sapim CX-Rays and alu nipples will complete a lovely, if reasonable, wheelset. 

 

They look pretty on this one, matched paint really brings them up. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post
 

An odd statement coming from and audio guy! Look at the price of audio gear now! BTW........nice bike.

 

One of the reasons why I got off this hobby of ours for the most part. At least, cycling gets you somewhere ;-) 

 

But I guess that a parrallel could be drawn, as the avarage road cyclist seems to be about as anally retentive as the folks here may be. 

post #3889 of 3899

I bought a BRAND NEW BMW 2002 in 1974 for $7,000!?!? 

post #3890 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

 

It's a lovely ride, the more I'm on it the more I like it. Smooth and quick. DI2 is pretty fantastic too. 

 

The wheels will be based around hope(deep blue)  RS4 hubs (originally wanted to build them around White Industries hubs, but they too much of a financial stretch) and feature assymetrical alu rims designed by my wheelbuilder and made in Asia, the wheel builder being local to me (literally a mile away). 

 

Sapim CX-Rays and alu nipples will complete a lovely, if reasonable, wheelset. 

 

They look pretty on this one, matched paint really brings them up. 

 

 

One of the reasons why I got off this hobby of ours for the most part. At least, cycling gets you somewhere ;-) 

 

But I guess that a parrallel could be drawn, as the avarage road cyclist seems to be about as anally retentive as the folks here may be. 


Or in other words Lance accidentally got it all right when he used the phrase "It's NOT about the bike".:D

post #3891 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post
 

An odd statement coming from and audio guy! Look at the price of audio gear now! BTW........nice bike.


Well I'm a ChiFi guys these days, instead of working my way up I work my way back now and I really find it hard to believe some of the esoteric companies can even stay afloat any more:rolleyes: I always used to think in home audio circles there were a bunch of Golden Ears until I joined Head-Fi:blink: I mean there must be minimum 200 Michael Fremer's out here alone:wink_face:

post #3892 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post
 

I bought a BRAND NEW BMW 2002 in 1974 for $7,000!?!? 

 

$7,000 in 1974 would have been equal to $34,609.18 in 2016.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post

 

I'm not actually that offended by the price of high-end bikes, what worries me is the relentless rise of mid and entry level prices.

 

I've noticed this. Bike technology has always had a trickle-down effect, the lower end bikes are only getting better while the high-end bikes remain largely esoteric with a consumer base that doesn't really change. The odd man out is the mid-range. Features that used to be reserved only for the top end of the market like disc brakes and carbon fibre frames are becoming common sights on mid-range ~$1000 bikes. The same features that previously demanded a high premium. The line between these sections of the market is gradually getting blurred.

post #3893 of 3899

Hey Greyson. Side-step here. Going to see King Crimson this Summer (your Avatar)? I'm seeing them in Chicago.

post #3894 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post
 

Hey Greyson. Side-step here. Going to see King Crimson this Summer (your Avatar)? I'm seeing them in Chicago.


Nice, you'll be in the Court:beerchug:

post #3895 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post

 

I've noticed this. Bike technology has always had a trickle-down effect, the lower end bikes are only getting better while the high-end bikes remain largely esoteric with a consumer base that doesn't really change. The odd man out is the mid-range. Features that used to be reserved only for the top end of the market like disc brakes and carbon fibre frames are becoming common sights on mid-range ~$1000 bikes. The same features that previously demanded a high premium. The line between these sections of the market is gradually getting blurred.

 

Well I believe that the main problem, so to speak, is about how the industry is going to cope with the performance gap closing between components tiers. 

 

We now have 3K carbon road bikes running 105, and that's absolutely fine, but then how does one justify buying an Ultegra ?

 

Sure, Dura Ace will naturally find buyers who are willing to shell out some outrageous money for marginal gains and the prestige associated with buying the best out there, but the middle groups will eventually suffer. I wouldn't upgrade from 105 to Ultegra on the same bike, I'd go straight to DA. 

 

That's why I'm dubious of the entry of mid-tier electronic groupsets. Ultegra has to have something going for it in to remain attractive.

 

But then, I could be entirely wrong. 

post #3896 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

 

Well I believe that the main problem, so to speak, is about how the industry is going to cope with the performance gap closing between components tiers. 

 

We now have 3K carbon road bikes running 105, and that's absolutely fine, but then how does one justify buying an Ultegra ?

 

Sure, Dura Ace will naturally find buyers who are willing to shell out some outrageous money for marginal gains and the prestige associated with buying the best out there, but the middle groups will eventually suffer. I wouldn't upgrade from 105 to Ultegra on the same bike, I'd go straight to DA. 

 

That's why I'm dubious of the entry of mid-tier electronic groupsets. Ultegra has to have something going for it in to remain attractive.

 

But then, I could be entirely wrong. 

Weight.

 

The casual rider likely won't (and shouldn't) care less about this, but cycling is like headphones... most that are "into it" aren't of the casual variety, and won't think twice about spending an extra $100 on shifters that weigh 100g less. But, even that doesn't justify the continued existence of the mid-tier group. Or the top tier, sometimes. Take SRAM Red, for example: unless you're stumping up for eTap, there is basically no difference, now, between the mechanical Red and Force groupsets. The one reason I ever considered (mechanical) Red for my bike was the Zero Loss right shifter. Now that's available on Force, which I think is more aesthetically pleasing to boot. Yaw is now on the Force front derailleur, as well. All of this, in my opinion, basically prices SRAM Red out of the mechanical market. I bet the same is true for mechanical Shimano DuraAce, as well. As for Campy... well, those riders are cultists; nothing will dissuade them from buying more, even if it brings nothing to the table.

 

But in the end, I think it will always be weight that drives the move upward. And when we hit a point where material science no longer supports weight reductions at higher ends, we'll see new "features" again being limited to only the high end, in an effort to save the idea of "low," "mid," and "high" end groupsets.

post #3897 of 3899

I just saw this guy in Osaka Japan. He's not too worried about weight!
post #3898 of 3899

I just saw this guy in Osaka Japan. He's not too worried about weight!

 

Or rolling resistance, apparently:eek:

post #3899 of 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 

 

Or rolling resistance, apparently:eek:


Now that is truly a Fat Tire bike:rolleyes:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home