New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bicycle-Fi! - Page 197

post #2941 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post

Here's a black sheep ti 36, this is the one I'd want Lol

We made mountain bikes in 1974 out of Schwinn paper-rout bikes. In 74 I also had my own Schwinn Moto-X bike. Nothing was available to buy but Moto-X handle bars and super-strong(Heavy) goose-necks. Could not find a picture but they were just paper-rout bikes with upgraded bars and goose-necks. They also had small mud-flaps made from tin and rubber.

 

Schwinn made these paper-rout bikes for about 20 years as far as I know. They never changed (except for some brighter colors introduced in the 70s) and had 26 inch rims, as far as I can remember. This is why Mountain bikes have 26 inch rims. Schwinn home made BMX bikes were smaller and lighter, for sprints and turns on small home made tracks we would make in lots. I read once that our track in Bixby Knolls Southern California was the first documented BMX track in history. A race every Saturday.

 

 

These were $100.00 in 1974. In 74 $100 was a lot of money, maybe something like $300-$400. The fenders were the first things to come off for mountain rides. Next the chain guard. They were heavy but strong. They were called "clunkers".

 

My bike weights 31.5 pounds now. I feel like I'm ridding one.....lol.


Edited by Redcarmoose - 10/24/13 at 12:43am
post #2942 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

We made mountain bikes in 1974 out of Schwinn paper-rout bikes. In 74 I also had my own Schwinn Moto-X bike. Nothing was available to buy but Moto-X handle bars and super-strong(Heavy) goose-necks. Could not find a picture but they were just paper-rout bikes with upgraded bars and goose-necks. They also had small mud-flaps made from tin and rubber.

Schwinn made these paper-rout bikes for about 20 years as far as I know. They never changed (except for some brighter colors introduced in the 70s) and had 26 inch rims, as far as I can remember. This is why Mountain bikes have 26 inch rims. Schwinn home made BMX bikes were smaller and lighter, for sprints and turns on small home made tracks we would make in lots. I read once that our track in Bixby Knolls Southern California was the first documented BMX track in history. A race every Saturday.




These were $100.00 in 1974. In 74 $100 was a lot of money, maybe something like $300-$400. The fenders were the first things to come off for mountain rides. Next the chain guard. They were heavy but strong. They were called "clunkers".

My bike weights 31.5 pounds now. I feel like I'm ridding one.....lol.

Cool story moose thanks for sharing!
I missed the klunker stage of riding but I've rebuilt a few, they've always found a new home I haven't found the right one to keep. Now I'm searching for a penny farthing!
For those interested, transition bikes make a modern klunker with modern parts and weight but coaster brake etc
Edited by ferday - 10/24/13 at 4:36am
post #2943 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

 

Schwinn made these paper-rout bikes for about 20 years as far as I know. They never changed (except for some brighter colors introduced in the 70s) and had 26 inch rims, as far as I can remember. This is why Mountain bikes have 26 inch rims. Schwinn home made BMX bikes were smaller and lighter, for sprints and turns on small home made tracks we would make in lots. I read once that our track in Bixby Knolls Southern California was the first documented BMX track in history. A race every Saturday.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

These were $100.00 in 1974. In 74 $100 was a lot of money, maybe something like $300-$400. The fenders were the first things to come off for mountain rides. Next the chain guard. They were heavy but strong. They were called "clunkers".

 

My bike weights 31.5 pounds now. I feel like I'm ridding one.....lol.

 

 

:thumb: Was in Bixby Knolls yesterday... welcome SoCal'er!

post #2944 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

smiley_thumb.gif Was in Bixby Knolls yesterday... welcome SoCal'er!






Yes, if you know where the fountain is at the center of Naples Long Beach? We used to put planks of wood against the cement benches. You would ride across those red tiles then jump about forty feet onto the grass.

Great times.
post #2945 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

Yes, if you know where the fountain is at the center of Naples Long Beach? We used to put planks of wood against the cement benches. You would ride across those red tiles then jump about forty feet onto the grass.

Great times.



edit.....maybe it was 20 feet? Seemed like 40 though.cool.gif
post #2946 of 3448

:dt880smile: As kids, everything seems bigger, brighter, bolder and longer!

post #2947 of 3448

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/23/pov-video-red-bull-mountain-biker-clears-72-foot-canyon-backflipping/

 

 

Same Redbull jump as before only this time with back flip and POV head cam.

post #2948 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/23/pov-video-red-bull-mountain-biker-clears-72-foot-canyon-backflipping/

 

 

Same Redbull jump as before only this time with back flip and POV head cam.

 

Holy chit 0_0

post #2949 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post
 

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/23/pov-video-red-bull-mountain-biker-clears-72-foot-canyon-backflipping/

 

 

Same Redbull jump as before only this time with back flip and POV head cam.

OMG, I have a new HERO of the dirt:eek:

post #2950 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by treal512 View Post

Holy chit 0_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podster View Post

OMG, I have a new HERO of the dirt:eek:




That vid gives me tension, I wonder if it's the wide perspective? Looks like a long way down.tongue.gif
post #2951 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post



That vid gives me tension, I wonder if it's the wide perspective? Looks like a long way down.tongue.gif

He looked a little weary by the end of the ride as he was going off trail the last 100 yards or so but it was his breathing that got me tense you could hear his heart rate through his breathing! Would have loved to watch that run first hand as it was awesome:cool:

post #2952 of 3448

WOWZA! thumbsup.gif

post #2953 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podster View Post
 

I get what you mean Redcar, I'm still thinking a 36" will have something taller than my 32" inseam! Which means at 6' tall I have a long fuselage or as my buddy once said picture the guys in the hot dog race at the ballgame:eek: My concern on a 36" wheel bike would be the overall weight and especially the wheel weight as far a bunny hoping something 28lbs +:blink:

 

Yes Jpoc, Hesitation Marks is a double LP and very sweet and clean sounding. Speaking of electronic music on vinyl I was recently playing some killer Kraftwerk (Computerland I believe) and it sounded awesome, you would think digitized music would be more suited for digital media and not analog but I have found Electronica on vinyl to be excellent.  


The 36" posted earlier claims to weigh 22.3kg on their site.. that's around 49 pounds.. I think it would be a rather different kind of riding to conventional mountain biking.

I think this is a great image of it, shows off how huge it really is next to a normal bike

 

 

 

They *can* be built lighter. There's a thread on MTBR about a 30lb-er.

 

I'm thinking great urban/gravel runabout. Hope to jump on one of these if the bandwagon gets rolling fast enough.

post #2954 of 3448

Can anyone recommend me a portable tire pump that is reliable?  I bought a cheap one from Bell, and it really was a one time use pump haha.

post #2955 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post
 

Can anyone recommend me a portable tire pump that is reliable?  I bought a cheap one from Bell, and it really was a one time use pump haha.

Tough one. Portable pumps vary from market to market, even from LBS to LBS in availability. I have one telescopic model that I absolutely DREAD the day I will loose it or it gets stolen - because it does work really well, is built to last (almost) a lifetime, can not be Weight Weenies darling because of few grams more that make all of the above possible, cost me like 10 Euros , made of course in PRC - but is unfortunately no longer available. I will post a pic during the day or two.

 

General guideline for reliability - metal. Plastic and to a lesser degree carbon can leave you stranded on the road

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLw0FPyFGM

when and where you will curse any weight saved in a pump.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home