New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bicycle-Fi! - Page 175

post #2611 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by headfeedfeed View Post

can you tell me a bit about the spec on the white one? massive looking tyres there im building up an aggressive downhill hardtail at the moment.

that is a surly pugsley, 26x4.0 tires.  there are only a few bikes that can fit these tires (they now make a 5")

 

although it descends like a monster for a rigid bike, it's not a DH bike...it's more like a jeep...it'll go anywhere but get there slowly.  i use it primarily on snow, sand, and trackless backcountry, where the massive tires float over anything and the traction is beyond anything words can describe.  it's also 37 lbs!

post #2612 of 3475

LL

 

Rack 'em!

beerchug.gif

post #2613 of 3475
I wish I could rationalize having so many bikes to the wife. I consider myself pretty lucky to have the two in the stable as things are. One mountain, one road.
Edited by J.Pocalypse - 8/15/13 at 9:46pm
post #2614 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post

might as well post a few of my rides LOL.  i'm mostly into MTB, seeing as i live in mountains i guess that makes sense.  picture missing my carbon singlespeed and my crown jewel, an intense t29 which is brand new, no pictures yet

 


I thought having four was excessive? You beat me.

post #2615 of 3475

Bought a new bike because my road bike got stolen while I was shopping.  Couldn't find a cheap road bike on Craigslist, but found a cheap foldable mountain bike.  I talked the seller down to $100 :)  I really wanted it just for the frame because I do a lot of traveling.  It fit in the back seat of my 2door Subaru and I'll attempt to take this on a plane with me overseas.

 

I'm going to convert it to a singlespeed though because I hate riding bikes with gears.  I'm much faster on a singlespeed, but I think it's because my previous bike was half the weight.

Plan to also change the tires to something with less rolling resistance.  Taking off the shifters and cables may drop a few pounds ;/

 


Edited by PFULMTL - 8/20/13 at 1:39am
post #2616 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post

I'm going to convert it to a singlespeed though because I hate riding bikes with gears.

 confused.gif

 

Cool bike though !

post #2617 of 3475

I'm confused as well.  I thought a geared bike would be faster.

I got to work and back 10 minutes later than usual the first try.  Then the second try I got home close to the same time, but I was pedaling the whole time.  On the single speed I'm coasting at full speed and only pedaling past green lights, bottom of hills, and up hills.  The thing is I can get close to full speed going uphill on a singlespeed.  I know I'm going slower uphill on a geared bike because ride the same way home everyday.

 

Which uses less energy?  The person who pedals less or the person who pedals more, but easier?

 

If I can beat my Single Speed record getting home with a geared bike, I will become a believer.  Right now that's 20minutes behind with this bike.

My initial acceleration on a singlespeed is so fast from a stop light that it takes a while for cars to pass me, and often times, I often catch up to the same cars to the next stop light.  That's how fast I can go.


Edited by PFULMTL - 8/21/13 at 12:30am
post #2618 of 3475
What kind of pedals are you using? 
 
The idea behind geared bikes is not to use less energy to reach a given speed in a given situation, but to keep a given speed using more or less the same amount of energy in different situations. 
 
With that said keep in mind that you're comparing two different bikes here. The problem's maybe coming from the bike itself, not its gearing system.
post #2619 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post

 confused.gif

 

Cool bike though !

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post

What kind of pedals are you using? 
 
The idea behind geared bikes is not to use less energy to reach a given speed in a given situation, but to keep a given speed using more or less the same amount of energy in different situations. 
 
With that said keep in mind that you're comparing two different bikes here. The problem's maybe coming from the bike itself, not its gearing system.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post

I'm confused as well.  I thought a geared bike would be faster.

I got to work and back 10 minutes later than usual the first try.  Then the second try I got home close to the same time, but I was pedaling the whole time.  On the single speed I'm coasting at full speed and only pedaling past green lights, bottom of hills, and up hills.  The thing is I can get close to full speed going uphill on a singlespeed.  I know I'm going slower uphill on a geared bike because ride the same way home everyday.

 

Which uses less energy?  The person who pedals less or the person who pedals more, but easier?

 

If I can beat my Single Speed record getting home with a geared bike, I will become a believer.  Right now that's 20minutes behind with this bike.

My initial acceleration on a singlespeed is so fast from a stop light that it takes a while for cars to pass me, and often times, I often catch up to the same cars to the next stop light.  That's how fast I can go.

 

 

Most likely the track bike would be considered the only single gear used in competitive racing. Yes BMX are technically single geared too. I have a range of different bikes and really single gear bikes are fastest on a flat area like a BMX track or Velodrome. The main magic now being seen in the biking industry maybe comes from the fact that single gear bikes have a more direct drive-train, you don't have as much weight either. Being in the wrong gear no matter how in-shape you are will always be slow on a steep down-hill or heavy climb. Most single speed bikes are set in a middle gear.

 

The thing is though is this red bike will need a tension making chain cog wheel to remove a small amount of slack in the chain, if made single-speed. Track bikes have the best rear drop-out channels so rim axle distance can be shortened or stretched to create a nice chain tension.

post #2620 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

Most likely the track bike would be considered the only single gear used in competitive racing. Yes BMX are technically single geared too. I have a range of different bikes and really single gear bikes are fastest on a flat area like a BMX track or Velodrome. The main magic now being seen in the biking industry maybe comes from the fact that single gear bikes have a more direct drive-train, you don't have as much weight either. Being in the wrong gear no matter how in-shape you are will always be slow on a steep down-hill or heavy climb. Most single speed bikes are set in a middle gear.

The thing is though is this red bike will need a tension making chain cog wheel to remove a small amount of slack in the chain, if made single-speed. Track bikes have the best rear drop-out channels so rim axle distance can be shortened or stretched to create a nice chain tension.

The acceleration capabilities of ss and fixies are very different, in fact it's incredible how a freewheel (or lack thereof) can change a bike's behaviour...
post #2621 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post


The acceleration capabilities of ss and fixies are very different, in fact it's incredible how a freewheel (or lack thereof) can change a bike's behaviour...

So your saying if I flip my single speed rim and make it a fixie I'll go faster? Interesting. I'll try it.

post #2622 of 3475

I love riding the velodrome! I was a track member at the 7-11 Olympic velo held over from the '84 LA Olympics - banked @ 33*. Have not yet joined the new indoor track at the same site yet (Home Depot Center). From pix it looks like the banks are lower. May go have a look this Friday...

post #2623 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

I love riding the velodrome! I was a track member at the 7-11 Olympic velo held over from the '84 LA Olympics - banked @ 33*. Have not yet joined the new indoor track at the same site yet (Home Depot Center). From pix it looks like the banks are lower. May go have a look this Friday...

I used to ride the cement outdoor velodrome in Bellevue WA. Never did try a track bike on one. It was actually a little scary to put my road bike on one for the first time, as I remember. There are a ton of old photographs of people riding the old wood ones. Truly a big part of bike history, and future.

 

I used to watch the training there. Just really cool bikes and folks getting leg massages on tables in the center. The sport is in many ways different from road biking. Still it has nudging and sprinting and finish-lines. Indoor velodomes in places like England (where it rains a ton) would a great way to enjoy bikes on a rainy day.

post #2624 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I used to ride the cement outdoor velodrome in Bellevue WA. Never did try a track bike on one. It was actually a little scary to put my road bike on one for the first time, as I remember. There are a ton of old photographs of people riding the old wood ones. Truly a big part of bike history, and future.

 

I used to watch the training there. Just really cool bikes and folks getting leg massages on tables in the center. The sport is in many ways different from road biking. Still it has nudging and sprinting and finish-lines. Indoor velodomes in places like England (where it rains a ton) would a great way to enjoy bikes on a rainy day.

 

 

 

I remember the very first time I got up to speed, left the bottom and climbed. In that moment, perception and reality began to mess with me as I looked on... thentongue_smile.gif looked down. But what a thrill!!!


Edited by Silent One - 8/21/13 at 1:34pm
post #2625 of 3475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

I remember the very first time I got up to speed, left the bottom and climbed. In that moment, perception and reality began to mess with me as I looked on... thentongue_smile.gif looked down. But what a thrill!!!

Well, all I remember is that after years on a bike the ground below you is equal distance on both sides, if not something is about to go wrong.basshead.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home