New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bicycle-Fi! - Page 157

post #2341 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

biggrin.gif

 

It was 1 lap. 5 miles out, 5 miles back.

dang! that's one big place. All that fresh air and you living life. fjeioajfewoifjaoe. And seeing deer. 

post #2342 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

biggrin.gif

 

It was 1 lap. 5 miles out, 5 miles back.

dang! that's one big place. All that fresh air and you living life. fjeioajfewoifjaoe. And seeing deer. 

It was farther too, but it was more uphill(there was a little stop place there and I stopped for a minute) and I had already done .5 mile of uphill before that so I just went down and did the 5 miles back. It was great, I'm trying to find my next spot. Thing is, there is another trail right next to it that allows bikers toobiggrin.gif


Edited by wolfetan44 - 3/24/13 at 11:59am
post #2343 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

It was farther too, but it was more uphill(there was a little stop place there and I stopped for a minute) and I had already done .5 mile of uphill before that so I just went down and did the 5 miles back. It was great, I'm trying to find my next spot. Thing is, there is another trail right next to it that allows bikers toobiggrin.gif

you glorious ___ person you. 

post #2344 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

The first time I saw an assist being ridden was this gal going up a hill that I know. She was going like 19 mph up the hill. Needless to say my jaw dropped open.eek.gif

 

Wow, they are much more powerful than the ones I'm thinking of from years ago then!  I can see more of the appeal if that's the case; commuting to work and avoiding sweating but getting to actually pedal home for example.  

 

Still seems boring as heck to me though...

post #2345 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

It was farther too, but it was more uphill(there was a little stop place there and I stopped for a minute) and I had already done .5 mile of uphill before that so I just went down and did the 5 miles back. It was great, I'm trying to find my next spot. Thing is, there is another trail right next to it that allows bikers toobiggrin.gif

you glorious ___ person you. 

biggrin.gif

post #2346 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeinatedX42 View Post

 

Wow, they are much more powerful than the ones I'm thinking of from years ago then!  I can see more of the appeal if that's the case; commuting to work and avoiding sweating but getting to actually pedal home for example.  

 

Still seems boring as heck to me though...

There are a bunch  of electric bikes now. They can be super expensive. I would rather get winded going up a hill and get great exercise. I even saw an electric scooter with a motor as fast as a regular scooter.

 

It seems there is going to be a bunch of electric powered bikes in the future.

 

I would rather have peddle power though. More fun!

post #2347 of 3448

Don't think music on bicycles (or electric-powered bicycles or motorbikes) is smart. A cyclist is much more exposed to injury from larger motorized vehicles, road hazards, pedestrians, etc. and needs to have all their senses available unfettered by distractions and/or devices that reduce their awareness of potential dangers. Don't get me wrong I love music as much or more than the next person (I am an audiophile nut after all), but forty years on cycles of all kinds (motorized, diamond frame road/mountain bicycles and recumbents) has convinced me that when riding a bike (or engaged in other outdoor form of exercise)  - one should concentrate on the task at hand san distractions. Not far from my Venice Beach apartment/pedestrian path I witnessed more than a few accidents of cyclists/skaters who had been rolling along listening to music and crash, crack and here comes the ambulance.


Edited by satir - 3/24/13 at 1:20pm
post #2348 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by satir View Post

Don't think music on bicycles (or electric-powered bicycles or motorbikes) is smart. A cyclist is much more exposed to injury from larger motorized vehicles, road hazards, pedestrians, etc. and needs to have all their senses available unfettered by distractions and/or devices that reduce their awareness of potential dangers. Don't get me wrong I love music as much or more than the next person (I am an audiophile nut after all), but forty years on cycles of all kinds (motorized, diamond frame road/mountain bicycles and recumbents) has convinced me that when riding a bike (or engaged in other outdoor form of exercise)  - one should concentrate on the task at hand san distractions. Not far from my Venice Beach apartment/pedestrian path I witnessed more than a few accidents of cyclists/skaters who had been rolling along listening to music and crash, crack and here comes the ambulance.

^having phones on while in a car/biking is a nono. Car you can still be saved b/c the car protects you. Bike = hasta la vista.

post #2349 of 3448

ok guys, what are your favourite flats for mtbing?

post #2350 of 3448

sorry to be double posting... but today I hit up my local trail for a few laps, and there are an alarming number of blackberry brambles on the edges of the track.. how much or a hazard are these for punctures? I hit a few and got away with it, but I don't think they can do any good for the tires and tubes...

post #2351 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post

sorry to be double posting... but today I hit up my local trail for a few laps, and there are an alarming number of blackberry brambles on the edges of the track.. how much or a hazard are these for punctures? I hit a few and got away with it, but I don't think they can do any good for the tires and tubes...

I wouldn't think so. My tires were fine until they were hit sideways. Only then did the inner tubing bust (had to get a new one

post #2352 of 3448

 

Purchased the 0900 Oakley Jackets for cycling! They really do work well.

post #2353 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post

sorry to be double posting... but today I hit up my local trail for a few laps, and there are an alarming number of blackberry brambles on the edges of the track.. how much or a hazard are these for punctures? I hit a few and got away with it, but I don't think they can do any good for the tires and tubes...

 

I agree with Mr. Violin.

 

However, it's always a good idea to at least carry a patch kit and pump.  A whole extra tube is even better.  Just throw them in you camelback and forget about them; or add a saddlebag that you leave on the bike with all this stuff, plus an emergency energy bar.

 

To take it up a notch you can "slime" your tires.  There are several liquid products designed to be squirted into your tube that will self heal it for minor punctures like blackberries or goatheads.  They can be a pain to squirt in yourself so I pay my local bike shop to do it for me (most good locally owned shops likely both sell these products and be willing to do this for you). 

 

To take it to the ultimate level go tubeless.  Its not cheap and requires special wheels to do right, but in my experience its worth it.  Since doing this several years ago on both my mountain and road bike I've never gotten a flat.  Having the peace of mind that I won't get a flat when 50 miles out of town on a desert road in 99 degree heat is priceless to me; even though I can fix pretty much any flat it's hugely annoying to do so in the sun on a hot day.

post #2354 of 3448

Does anyone here have prescription riding glasses?  I've just been using my regular Rx sunglasses but would like something better.

post #2355 of 3448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icenine2 View Post

Does anyone here have prescription riding glasses?  I've just been using my regular Rx sunglasses but would like something better.

I always wonder what would be the best thing there. That is what my Wife needs. I would guess plastic tinted perscription-sun-glasses would work. Or those sunglasses you clip on? How would something else be better and more clear? Do you mean because of sweat or panoramic visibility?

 

 

The 0090 would work only if they made distance glasses to fit where the reading glasses go. Still though you would not have distance panoramic visibility due to the glasses not being wide enough. I would check on pro racing forums? You know they take everything super serious on em.

 

 

I wonder if they make really wide distance glasses?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home