New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blue Pill or Red Pill? - Page 3

post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotjen View Post
So if I say, "In my opinion, the Senn 650's are the best headphones available today," this isn't really an opinion. But if I said, "Of all the headphones I have heard, I like the 650's the best." Then this would be an opinion, correct?
Yep, more or less. The word "best" can be a gray area at times because it comes down to intent in a way: if by "best headphones today," you mean it beats out every other headphone, then yeah that's a claim. But if by best you're using some sort of subjective criteria (comfort, signature, etc) it would be an opinion. In those shaky instances I would default to looking at the broader context (though the way you worded it would make it a claim more often than not). But yeah, the second statement would always pretty much be an opinion.
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

It's all about enjoying the music, and when the equipment becomes a priority above the music then you've wandered off the path somewhere down the line.
LOL, is that so... I'm afraid, it's all about the equipment over here.

USG

d-_-b
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Talent View Post
You can take that to the bank, IMHO.

Gotta fight fire with fire, speak truth to power, fight the good fight, etc. etc. I don't have the personality for it, but thank goodness for people who do.

The truth has gotten slaughtered in recent years because there are not nearly enough like him. Sound and Vision has now gone to the dark side despite the proud tradition of Hi Fidelity and Stereo Review, so sad. I replaced it with a subscription to PC World Magazine, which is based in reality.
post #34 of 63
either way, good kit makes me forget i have kit. Bad kit makes me go - where the fudge has my music gone?!?!?!? then the music stops. So bad kit gets in the way, just as much as the search for better kit.

Precisely why i had pretty much stopped listening to music on the go - because of gaps between tracks. drove me nuts during operas.
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ah1 View Post
Precisely why i had pretty much stopped listening to music on the go - because of gaps between tracks. drove me nuts during operas.
Just encode entire Acts or Scenes as one track, that is how I deal with opera. There is more effort in tagging but it preserves the flow. You can always insert bookmarks if you need random access. Or get a player that supports gapless playback, mine does not hence the jiggery-pokery...
post #36 of 63
well now i have ipod classic so no gaps.

no gaps on foobar2000 either or amarok.

but yes, that is definitely the best way to get rid of gaps. but with 16days worth of music a daunting task. Admittedly, not all opera, but still :S

My last player didn't support bookmarks well either sadly
post #37 of 63
Thread Starter 
read and de-program yourself of the cable propaganda

No matter how many mushrooms you eat, there is still no such thing as smurfs or underpants gnomes...
post #38 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
There is no spoon.................
no "SPOON" you say? huh....

post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Talent View Post
no "SPOON" you say? huh....

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reference.

USG

d-_-b
post #40 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reference.

USG

d-_-b
The Tick's battlecry was "SPOON!"...
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Talent View Post
The Tick's battlecry was "SPOON!"...
OIC
post #42 of 63
post #43 of 63
These guys, "The Audio Critic", are obviously a mixed bag.

I respect the fact that they have gone where many audio review sites and audio reviews won't go in that they give you the cold hard numbers instead of being like a site like Stereophile where most everything gets a positive review and supposedly sounds amazing. The Audio Critics obviously know EE way better than I'll ever know it and can explain things the real way. Their articles on why cables and the various audio snake oils are bogus are mostly true and expose the lies in audio that I love to hate (like cables and cable elevators, etc).

Still, I have a severe problem with how much they overanalyze everything. Clearly, they have completely gone off the path and gotten lost in and obsessed with the 0's, 1's, and electrons flying around to the point where honestly, I don't care quite as much. With all the money they spent on testing these things to 6 decimal places, they could have bought more CD's.

My chief complaint is with their total disregard to the music. They have CD reviews that couldn't possibly be more useless, telling you almost nothing about the music, which is at the core of EVERYTHING we talk about here. The recording quality is absolutely a noteworthly aspect of a CD recording, but honestly, you cannot write a review based on it, and realistically, I wouldn't listen to Virgil Fox's old distorted mono recordings if the playing wasn't ten times better than E.P. Biggs's high-fidelity recordings. The music is what matters in the end. Clearly, these audio critics are not musicians...Granted, that isn't a problem at all. I have many non-musician friends who have just as deep an appreciation for music as I do. But for example, they blatantly spelled "Gustav Holst" wrong in one review multiple times, then pretended to talk about the CD as if they were great international music connoisseurs. Another review was a double review of a Poulenc CD and a Rachmaninoff CD. The editor claimed they were lumping it into one review because "everything about these two CD's is the same besides the music". Seriously??

I definitely respect these guys for what they do, it's just all too rare these days when Best Buy employees are trained to regularly sell poor quality Monster Cables. Still, they're not going to get a subscription from me anytime soon.
post #44 of 63
I dont agree 100% with the article.
I hear differences in cables when theres enough length for the characteristics of the cable to be brought out.
I have a Tara Research cable here thats muddy as heck, and when hooked up directly after a Synergistic Research cable to the same system, you can definately without a doubt hear a difference. The Synergistic Research cable is very thin and tinny sounding, and the Tara is muddy. Everyone in the audio room in the store that day agreed there was a difference.

Im not saying a $10,000 fancy cable is better than all $50 cables, no not at all........just different.

I buy quality made cables, but i dont spend crazy money on them.

In this case, with the two cables mentioned....i believe anyone can hear a difference.

I still have the Tara cable. I dont own a Synergistic Research cable, but if anyone lived close by that wants to try it, id bring it to their listening room to give it a go.
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1032 View Post
My chief complaint is with their total disregard to the music.
High end gear heads rarely know much about music.

See ya
Steve
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: