Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AH-D7000 - Page 433

post #6481 of 7185

I can't even find my own cans at the moment... ph34r.gif none of 'em! (currently in storage).

post #6482 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

I can't even find my own cans at the moment... ph34r.gif none of 'em! (currently in storage).

frown.gif

post #6483 of 7185

i once had hd800, ed8, T1, T5p n D7k all together...

sold all n kept d7k. 

i use the high gain on my amp to push the mids forward if i want to...

depends on the music i am listening to.

Nvr had issues of sibilance or sloppybass...

might be due to the jmoneypad, and the amp matching..or both..n my old pair of ears. lol.

darthsmile.gif

 

(LCD too heavy...He6 too troublesome...stax no money....sigpro i hv pro900....he500 hmmmm maybe )

edit...left out fostex900 too fearful of scratching the cups..:P


Edited by Lorspeaker - 5/19/13 at 5:25pm
post #6484 of 7185

Had they been at my fingertips during this down-time for a couple of months, I'd have dropped 'em on your porch for a listen.

post #6485 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldson View Post

i am in the market for an open set of cans to compare  against my D7K.
my shortlist,based only on reading forums, is Lcd-2 r2, he-500 & he-6.

as i love the sound sig of my denons, would i be right in thinking the audeze would be the closest too them?
please note , auditioning options are severely limited in my part of the uk.

I enjoy my Hd600.for open usage.
post #6486 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I think that I am ready to explore some angled pads for my D7000. The bass bloat is fine in isolation, but when compared to my other rig/cans it's a hard transition sometimes. Plus I would like to see how the stock Denon pads perform on my HE6, as I have read some interesting impressions (and I like the Denon pads over all the HifiMAN ones).

 

Evidently I have two choices, Lawton and J-Money; Pros and Cons?

popcorn.gif

 

Have you tried the lawton mod? It definitely reduced bloat by quite a bit, and you can fine-tune the bloat/strength by adding and removing dynamat.

post #6487 of 7185

I don't usually mod headphones unless it's easily reversible, like swapping out the pads...

post #6488 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I don't usually mod headphones unless it's easily reversible, like swapping out the pads...

Same here
post #6489 of 7185

Me? I just acquire similar and/or different cans on loan and go deep and quietly into the night... with D7000 intact.

post #6490 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Plus I would like to see how the stock Denon pads perform on my HE6, as I have read some interesting impressions (and I like the Denon pads over all the HifiMAN ones).

 

Evidently I have two choices, Lawton and J-Money; Pros and Cons?

popcorn.gif

 

I now put the stock Denon Dx000 pads on every headphone they will fit on except the D7000 - I use the Lawton pads for those.  J$ and Lawton pads are to think for me with any other headphone.  Although - I may try them on the TH-900 and the W3000.  For now I have the L3000 pads on the W3000 - works great.

post #6491 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I think that I am ready to explore some angled pads for my D7000. The bass bloat is fine in isolation, but when compared to my other rig/cans it's a hard transition sometimes. Plus I would like to see how the stock Denon pads perform on my HE6, as I have read some interesting impressions (and I like the Denon pads over all the HifiMAN ones).

 

Evidently I have two choices, Lawton and J-Money; Pros and Cons?

popcorn.gif

i read some "not too flattering things" about the J pads/company which put me off.

i went the Lawton route, stage one, but only fitted the angle pads . have kept the damping material for possible future experiment.

very happy with the angle pads, and Mark was great to deal with.

 

have had some open cans in the past (hd-600 and ath-ad2000) but sold them due to too noisy environment.

as i have relocated my rig to a quieter area , i thought i would dip my toe back in the open can arena.

however the D7Ks are going nowhere. purely have to re-scratch an old itch

post #6492 of 7185

Got my D7000 today, and have only listened to it for a little bit, but thought I'd comment on some of my observations. Note: My D2000 is a 2012 production model.

 

First, I thought I was getting a 2012 production model D7000. It is in fact not a 2012 production model, so there's that. There are actually some interesting differences in build construction between the 2012 and pre-2012 models. The first difference I noticed immediately was the pads. The 2012 production pads on my D2000 are noticeably softer. It's not a large difference, but big enough that it was the first thing I noticed. I always felt my D2000's pads were so soft they merited the term "luxurious." The pre-2012 pads don't quite measure up to the same sense of luxury. And, one other thing I have noticed is that the newer, softer pads actually seem to stay cooler than the D7000 pads. This is even probably a greater boon than the improved softness. Secondly, my D2000 actually has a thicker cable than the pre-2012 D7000. That doesn't bother me nor excite me, but I thought I'd make a note of it. Thirdly, the Y-splitter has a different size and shape on each model. The 2012 Y-Splitter is shorter and wider than the skinnier, longer looking pre-2012 Y-Splitter. Again, it doesn't really matter, but I mention it as a way to identify pre-2012 and 2012 models.

 

As for sound differences - pretty much what has been said before. The D7000's bass is tighter than the D2000. The highs sound very similar on both to me. The mids are a very interesting comparison, however. The D7000's vocals are indeed more forward and more present than the D2000's. But, they sound a bit dryer. The D2000's mids, though more recessed, sound a bit more lush and "wet." It makes the D2000 sound a bit more romantic, really. The recessed mids actually work to make the D2000's sound more spacious or distant than the D7000. So which you prefer would depend if you like more of a on-stage sound or a 10-row sound. I haven't decided yet. Another thing about the bass, though - I actually really like the D2000 because its bass is loose and has reverb. The D7000 tightens things up a bit, so time will tell which I ultimately prefer.

 

Make no mistake, the D7000 has a higher fidelity sound quality than the D2000, but there are just certain aspects to consider when someone is considering making the jump from D2000 to D7000. I learned to be cautiously optimistic when going up a product line after moving up the Grado lineup - ultimately I ended up preferring the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads to the upper models in the Prestige Series. So I'm still not sure if I prefer the more forward, clearer, tighter presentation of the D7000 or the more distant, laid back, lusher / bassier presentation of the D2000. I may have to pay a visit to the D5000, as it might bridge the qualities of the two headphones in a manner I might prefer.

post #6493 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

Got my D7000 today, and have only listened to it for a little bit, but thought I'd comment on some of my observations. Note: My D2000 is a 2012 production model.

 

First, I thought I was getting a 2012 production model D7000. It is in fact not a 2012 production model, so there's that. There are actually some interesting differences in build construction between the 2012 and pre-2012 models. The first difference I noticed immediately was the pads. The 2012 production pads on my D2000 are noticeably softer. It's not a large difference, but big enough that it was the first thing I noticed. I always felt my D2000's pads were so soft they merited the term "luxurious." The pre-2012 pads don't quite measure up to the same sense of luxury. And, one other thing I have noticed is that the newer, softer pads actually seem to stay cooler than the D7000 pads. This is even probably a greater boon than the improved softness. Secondly, my D2000 actually has a thicker cable than the pre-2012 D7000. That doesn't bother me nor excite me, but I thought I'd make a note of it. Thirdly, the Y-splitter has a different size and shape on each model. The 2012 Y-Splitter is shorter and wider than the skinnier, longer looking pre-2012 Y-Splitter. Again, it doesn't really matter, but I mention it as a way to identify pre-2012 and 2012 models.

 

As for sound differences - pretty much what has been said before. The D7000's bass is tighter than the D2000. The highs sound very similar on both to me. The mids are a very interesting comparison, however. The D7000's vocals are indeed more forward and more present than the D2000's. But, they sound a bit dryer. The D2000's mids, though more recessed, sound a bit more lush and "wet." It makes the D2000 sound a bit more romantic, really. The recessed mids actually work to make the D2000's sound more spacious or distant than the D7000. So which you prefer would depend if you like more of a on-stage sound or a 10-row sound. I haven't decided yet. Another thing about the bass, though - I actually really like the D2000 because its bass is loose and has reverb. The D7000 tightens things up a bit, so time will tell which I ultimately prefer.

 

Make no mistake, the D7000 has a higher fidelity sound quality than the D2000, but there are just certain aspects to consider when someone is considering making the jump from D2000 to D7000. I learned to be cautiously optimistic when going up a product line after moving up the Grado lineup - ultimately I ended up preferring the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads to the upper models in the Prestige Series. So I'm still not sure if I prefer the more forward, clearer, tighter presentation of the D7000 or the more distant, laid back, lusher / bassier presentation of the D2000. I may have to pay a visit to the D5000, as it might bridge the qualities of the two headphones in a manner I might prefer.

 

 

Hmmm... Your statement on the D2000 being lusher is interesting. After extensive auditioning of warm lush cans like the hd650 and lcd-2, the d2000s sounded drier for my tastes. But mind you, it was a side-by-side comparison so YMMV. But Tyll at innerfidelity has also mentioned the D5ks have a much lusher and warmer sound, and the d2ks being the driest of the trio. I think you are the first to mention the D2ks are warmer than the D7ks. Btw, I only did a D5k vs D2k. 

 

EDIT: Get it now, it was the pre-2012 model. Tyll was comparing the 2012 Model of the D7ks and D2ks.

post #6494 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

Got my D7000 today, and have only listened to it for a little bit, but thought I'd comment on some of my observations. Note: My D2000 is a 2012 production model.

 

First, I thought I was getting a 2012 production model D7000. It is in fact not a 2012 production model, so there's that. There are actually some interesting differences in build construction between the 2012 and pre-2012 models. The first difference I noticed immediately was the pads. The 2012 production pads on my D2000 are noticeably softer. It's not a large difference, but big enough that it was the first thing I noticed. I always felt my D2000's pads were so soft they merited the term "luxurious." The pre-2012 pads don't quite measure up to the same sense of luxury. And, one other thing I have noticed is that the newer, softer pads actually seem to stay cooler than the D7000 pads. This is even probably a greater boon than the improved softness. Secondly, my D2000 actually has a thicker cable than the pre-2012 D7000. That doesn't bother me nor excite me, but I thought I'd make a note of it. Thirdly, the Y-splitter has a different size and shape on each model. The 2012 Y-Splitter is shorter and wider than the skinnier, longer looking pre-2012 Y-Splitter. Again, it doesn't really matter, but I mention it as a way to identify pre-2012 and 2012 models.

 

As for sound differences - pretty much what has been said before. The D7000's bass is tighter than the D2000. The highs sound very similar on both to me. The mids are a very interesting comparison, however. The D7000's vocals are indeed more forward and more present than the D2000's. But, they sound a bit dryer. The D2000's mids, though more recessed, sound a bit more lush and "wet." It makes the D2000 sound a bit more romantic, really. The recessed mids actually work to make the D2000's sound more spacious or distant than the D7000. So which you prefer would depend if you like more of a on-stage sound or a 10-row sound. I haven't decided yet. Another thing about the bass, though - I actually really like the D2000 because its bass is loose and has reverb. The D7000 tightens things up a bit, so time will tell which I ultimately prefer.

 

Make no mistake, the D7000 has a higher fidelity sound quality than the D2000, but there are just certain aspects to consider when someone is considering making the jump from D2000 to D7000. I learned to be cautiously optimistic when going up a product line after moving up the Grado lineup - ultimately I ended up preferring the SR60i w/ L-Cush pads to the upper models in the Prestige Series. So I'm still not sure if I prefer the more forward, clearer, tighter presentation of the D7000 or the more distant, laid back, lusher / bassier presentation of the D2000. I may have to pay a visit to the D5000, as it might bridge the qualities of the two headphones in a manner I might prefer.

 

Could you include some comparison pictures that show the difference between the 2012 and non-2012 models? I have no idea which model D7000 I have.

post #6495 of 7185

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000-page-2

 

Only a picture from the two D5000 models (last picture on the review), but it should be the same on the D7000.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000