Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AH-D7000 - Page 428

post #6406 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Owned the D7k and LCD2. My two faves. However, I still preferred the D7K overall.

It's a matter of preference, and what you want. If I could afford both, I'd have owned both.

 

This ^. Although the D7K was a bit to sibilant and harsh for me on certain tracks, but still a great closed back headphone.


Edited by Greed - 5/11/13 at 10:22pm
post #6407 of 7185
I really like the LCD-2 and has been considering the d7ks for a really long time. Been comparing between these two but it seems previously everyone says the lcd-2 is better, guess the tides has change. I have heard about the d7ks supposedly amazing bass response. Well, I compared the d5s to the hd650 and felt the d5ks were veiled or muffled and have slightly fatiguing highs.
post #6408 of 7185

I know the D7000 isn't the best of the best, but it is a very enjoyable headphone. When I compare it to other top tier cans, the obvious problem is the bass. It can come across as quite loose, or even flabby in comparison to the top planars and electrostatics, even some dynamic headphones that I have heard. Other than that, some consider the fact it's FR is on the fun side of neutral to be an issue.

 

For myself, the mids are quite available, the highs sparkle and the bass goes deep. I think that last part is what gives the D7000 their unique charm, the fact that the bass is deep enough to get out of the way of the mids while the headphones maintain a fun U-shaped signature overall.


Edited by grokit - 5/11/13 at 10:16pm
post #6409 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Owned the D7k and LCD2. My two faves. However, I still preferred the D7K overall.

It's a matter of preference, and what you want. If I could afford both, I'd have owned both.

 

You just painted my picture! biggrin.gif

post #6410 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Owned the D7k and LCD2. My two faves. However, I still preferred the D7K overall.

It's a matter of preference, and what you want. If I could afford both, I'd have owned both.

 

This ^. Although the D7K was a bit to sibilant and harsh for me on certain tracks, but still a great closed back headphone.

 

 

+1

 

i got rid of my D7k because mine where MarkL mod and the sibilance was too much for me at times. also, they didn't get much listening time with my other headphones around (especially the T1). I am looking at buying TH-/600900 sometime in the future though.

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

I have extensively auditioned the LCD-2 and have owned the HE-400 (twice!), HE-500, and HE-5LE. In my opinion, they all have their appeal (lush, refined sound with black background and zero grain), but are flawed with a thick, muddy-sounding mid-range (to varying degrees.
 
the zero grain and black background is very nice. also all these planars have some pretty good bass, which is the thing i really like about them.

Edited by Dubstep Girl - 5/11/13 at 10:35pm
post #6411 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I know the D7000 isn't the best of the best, but it is a very enjoyable headphone. When I compare it to other top tier cans, the obvious problem is the bass. It can come across as quite loose, or even flabby in comparison to the top planars and electrostatics, even some dynamic headphones that I have heard. Other than that, some consider the fact it's FR is on the fun side of neutral to be an issue.

For myself, the mids are quite available, the highs sparkle and the bass goes deep. I think that last part is what gives the D7000 their unique charm, the fact that the bass is deep enough to get out of the way of the mids while the headphones maintain a fun U-shaped signature overall.

Yes, exactly.
post #6412 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post


+1

i got rid of my D7k because mine where MarkL mod and the sibilance was too much for me at times. also, they didn't get much listening time with my other headphones around (especially the T1). I am looking at buying TH-/600900 sometime in the future though.

Yup, I noticed the same sibilance with mine. It wasnt very pronounced, but I noticed it often enough to bother me.

I personally am not crazy about the planar bass. I find it to be on the bloated, slow side. I know most comment on the detail and speed of planars, but I just dont hear it.
post #6413 of 7185

i like the planar bass as well as their sound, but i agree, i wouldn't call them fast or detailed. they just can't compare to my HD 800 and T1 in that regard. 

 

i find myself enjoying the T1 bass the most btw. i don't know why but i just do.

post #6414 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

i got rid of my D7k because mine where MarkL mod and the sibilance was too much for me at times

 

Did they happen to have any earpad mods, or just dynamat?

post #6415 of 7185
For me, the sibilance is subtle with the dampening mod alone. Add the angle pads and the sibilance is significant.

If I could do it all over again, I would not have done the mod. The D7000 is better stock. Its a terrific fun headphone (beautiful too) and I'll always have a special place in my heart for it.
Edited by palmfish - 5/11/13 at 11:05pm
post #6416 of 7185
That's why I prefer to listen to headphones in it's stock form first. Stock D7000 was perfect to me.
post #6417 of 7185

not sure, i bought them used and lawton audio had already modded them. never opened them up to see what they did inside, all i saw was the stuffed pads.

post #6418 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

not sure, i bought them used and lawton audio had already modded them. never opened them up to see what they did inside, all i saw was the stuffed pads.

 

It was probably the pads, then. It seems some people notice a fairly significant increase in sibilance with stuffed pads.

post #6419 of 7185

hmmm, maybe i would of liked the d7ks even more if they where stock. i did enjoy the bass and smooth mids, but the treble was definitely bothersome, especially since the d7k where only used for pop, rap, hiphop, some electronic, many of which are poorly recordings

post #6420 of 7185

Well... if the HE-6 came as a 'closed' model, with the same sound... and easier to drive, I'd snap it up in a minute.

I prefer it to the LCD-2, HD-800 (which are very good), T1, and others.

I really did not like the LCD-2. Aside from being ridiculously uncomfortable, I found them dull.

But the HE-6 has a near perfect sound to my ears.

 

So... the next best thing to that, in a closed can... the D7000. I couldn't live without them. wink_face.gif  I have them on my head every day, and just love the sound.

They are my second to the HE-6.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000