Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AH-D7000 - Page 427

post #6391 of 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee inthe Attic View Post

 

I've read this a few times now where people mention a new sealed D7000.

 

Mine came in the Denon box, with the plastic cover slid over it, but nothing was sealed. Is this how others' were packaged, or did I get an open box? (Note; I bought them new from an authorized dealer)

 

Yes. Several years ago, when I got mine new, they were in a plastic 'bag', slipped over the Denon box, and taped closed.

post #6392 of 7186
Mine had a stiff clear plastic sleeve slipped over the box. I dont remember any tape seals being present.

When i sold mine a few months ago, I shipped them with the original clear sleeve over the box (as new). The sleeve did show a little wear though so that might be a good indicator.

BTW, I got to hear the TH900 last weekend (finally!!!) and I was less than impressed. A very bassy fun headphone for sure, but not significantly different to my recollection of my D7000. No side-by-side comparo though so memory isnt reliable. I will say with my bassy test tracks that used to bother me with the D7000, the TH900 bothered me too.

Not worth the added cost over the D7000 IMHO.
post #6393 of 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Mine had a stiff clear plastic sleeve slipped over the box. I dont remember any tape seals being present.

When i sold mine a few months ago, I shipped them with the original clear sleeve over the box (as new). The sleeve did show a little wear though so that might be a good indicator.

BTW, I got to hear the TH900 last weekend (finally!!!) and I was less than impressed. A very bassy fun headphone for sure, but not significantly different to my recollection of my D7000. No side-by-side comparo though so memory isnt reliable. I will say with my bassy test tracks that used to bother me with the D7000, the TH900 bothered me too.

Not worth the added cost over the D7000 IMHO.

 

Ya, this is how I received mine as well. There was a piece of tape over the headband slider to show that they weren't adjusted, but this and the cable twist tie could easily be put back on without much evidence of tampering.

 

I've used these cans for over a year and it's still in mint condition; I'm sure I could pass them off as brand new in the box if I were so inclined (which I wouldn't do if I ever sold them). For such expensive headphones, they really should be sealed in a way that one could tell they are brand new.

post #6394 of 7186

Mine were refurbished, supposedly by Denon with full warranty from an authorized dealer. I remember that the packaging was perfect, but not sealed.

post #6395 of 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post


BTW, I got to hear the TH900 last weekend (finally!!!) and I was less than impressed. A very bassy fun headphone for sure, but not significantly different to my recollection of my D7000. No side-by-side comparo though so memory isnt reliable. I will say with my bassy test tracks that used to bother me with the D7000, the TH900 bothered me too.

Not worth the added cost over the D7000 IMHO.

Woah.... Are you sure? I saw many threads saying the LCD-2 triumphs the d7ks and someone on the th-900 thread says the th-900 triumphs the LCD-2s but hey, everyone hears thing differently! smily_headphones1.gif
post #6396 of 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post


Woah.... Are you sure? I saw many threads saying the LCD-2 triumphs the d7ks and someone on the th-900 thread says the th-900 triumphs the LCD-2s but hey, everyone hears thing differently! smily_headphones1.gif

 

What does the LCD-2 have to do with the Denon and Fostex headphones?

 

It's really a matter of taste. Saying the LCD-2 "trumps" the D7000 is like saying a Range Rover "trumps" a Corvette.


Edited by palmfish - 5/11/13 at 5:23pm
post #6397 of 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

What does the LCD-2 have to do with the Denon and Fostex headphones?

The D7000 and TH900 are brothers sharing much DNA (and parts). The LCD-2 is a completely different headphone with a different design, driver technology, and sound.

Well okay. I know they are two pretty different headphones by I am a guy who can compare anything side by side, iem to headphone, dynamic and planar, etc.

I have been researching, comparing the LCD-2 and d7000, and asking some d7000s owners that have tried the LCD-2s, many threads and they said the LCD-2s is just better. And when I refer you to the th-900 thread, muppetface, i think, says the th-900 and LCD-2 no competition.

So wouldn't it be effectively:
Th-900>LCD-2>D7ks

But this is just in my own way of looking at things and like I said people hear things differently, was just intrigued cos you were the first guy whom I came across that said the upgrade was not worth the price. Just curious.
post #6398 of 7186

So wouldn't it be effectively:
Th-900>LCD-2>D7ks

 

Maybe that makes sense to you, but not to me. It's like saying that a Range Rover>Porsche 911>Volvo Truck

 

To me, the LCD-2 sounds thick, muddy and dull while the D7000/TH900 is fun, energetic, and dynamic. There's just no comparison - apples and oranges. In fact, for me the D2000 sounds better than the LCD-2. Hell, my $90 Sennheiser HD558's easily trump the LCD-2!

 

Now, if you like smooth forward lush midrange (and a lot of headphone enthusiasts seem to), then the LCD-2 is the clear winner - better than both the D7000 and TH900. Better than HD 800. Better than Stax SR-009...

 

Depends on what you like.


Edited by palmfish - 5/11/13 at 5:40pm
post #6399 of 7186

I listened to the LCD-2 (not r1 or 2) at length - could not place them ahead of my D7000. The Audez'e did some things wonderfully, as did the Denon. Equally, both showed limitations on my way to enjoyment. 

 

Best Roles for these cans inside my listening room:

 

D7000 - as sole headphone; as compliment to the LCD-2.

LCD-2 - as compliment to the D7000.

post #6400 of 7186

I'm glad you said this, I enjoyed my recabled D2000 better than my LCD-2..D2000 was just so much more punchy and fun sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

So wouldn't it be effectively:
Th-900>LCD-2>D7ks

 

Maybe that makes sense to you, but not to me. It's like saying that a Range Rover>Porsche 911>Volvo Truck

 

To me, the LCD-2 sounds thick, muddy and dull while the D7000/TH900 is fun, energetic, and dynamic. There's just no comparison - apples and oranges. In fact, for me the D2000 sounds better than the LCD-2. Hell, my $90 Sennheiser HD558's easily trump the LCD-2!

 

Now, if you like smooth forward lush midrange (and a lot of headphone enthusiasts seem to), then the LCD-2 is the clear winner - better than both the D7000 and TH900. Better than HD 800. Better than Stax SR-009...

 

Depends on what you like.

post #6401 of 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimChee View Post

I'm glad you said this, I enjoyed my recabled D2000 better than my LCD-2..D2000 was just so much more punchy and fun sounding.

Deciding to sell my D7000's wasnt easy, but having a D2000 in the house definitely eased the pain. The D2000 is a terrific headphone and has the best price/performance ratio of the entire Denon lineup - old and new.

In fact, I set my HD800's aside and Im enjoying the D2000 right now biggrin.gif
Edited by palmfish - 5/11/13 at 6:47pm
post #6402 of 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Deciding to sell my D7000's wasnt easy, but having a D2000 in the house definitely eased the pain. The D2000 is a terrific headphone and has the best price/performance ratio of the entire Denon lineup - old and new.

In fact, I set my HD800's aside and Im enjoying the D2000 right now biggrin.gif

Yeah, you are right. They are two different headphones, like how two cars serve different purposes. But apparently, I know this the d7ks appreciation thread, so.... but apparently I see tons compare the LCD-2 and d7ks together by too darn many people and because I don't get to compare them side by side I can only rely on those things. But I can see the d7ks being more v-shaped/fun and more appealing in terms of signature to some but it seems that tons of people agree the LCD-2s are superior. But as always and I stress this YMMV
post #6403 of 7186
I think part of the "superior" thing is simply the current love affair with planar magnetic drivers. You see this in the huge popularity of Audeze and HiFiMan headphones, and also in speakers from GoldenEar and Emotiva, to name two.

I have extensively auditioned the LCD-2 and have owned the HE-400 (twice!), HE-500, and HE-5LE. In my opinion, they all have their appeal (lush, refined sound with black background and zero grain), but are flawed with a thick, muddy-sounding mid-range (to varying degrees.

If someone likes a lush, laid back, rich character, they are sure to please, but in my opinion they are definitely not "superior" to their dynamic driver counterparts.
post #6404 of 7186

Waitblink.gif... our mileage is fine, your wink_face.gif mileage may vary. Especially if you're both unable to audition and do not understand better tech specs don't always translate into a better experience. Cars anyone?

post #6405 of 7186
Owned the D7k and LCD2. My two faves. However, I still preferred the D7K overall.

It's a matter of preference, and what you want. If I could afford both, I'd have owned both.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000