Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AH-D7000 - Page 406

post #6076 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

i don't really need the massive bass quantity of the d7000, but i want a headphone that has that similar sub-woofer style of bass. the LCD-2 don't do it right since its too tight and controlled. slightly more loose bass would be just perfect for me! (The Beyerdynamic T1 do this very well, if the bass was slightly more, just a bit, it would be perfect for anything!)

 

can the HE-500 do drum and bass decent?


I've got absolutely zero drum and bass tunes. :(

 

Did toss on Dre Day just now and prefer the sound on the D7000's over the HE-500's.  That bass hits like a hatchback with two twelves.  D7000's bass is bass I can 'feel', while HE-500's I hear.

 

edit: The LCD2v2's I had on loan for 2 months had more bass presence than my HE-500's.  If the LCD2's didn't scratch the itch, I can't see the HE-500's doing it either :(

 

What's the thing your D7000's don't do that you want to improve on?  Sounds to me like you've found your headphone already.


Edited by rezolver - 2/18/13 at 6:04pm
post #6077 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post


I've got absolutely zero drum and bass tunes. :(

 

Did toss on Dre Day just now and prefer the sound on the D7000's over the HE-500's.  That bass hits like a hatchback with two twelves.  D7000's bass is bass I can 'feel', while HE-500's I hear.

 

edit: The LCD2v2's I had on loan for 2 months had more bass presence than my HE-500's.  If the LCD2's didn't scratch the itch, I can't see the HE-500's doing it either :(

 

What's the thing your D7000's don't do that you want to improve on?  Sounds to me like you've found your headphone already.

 

i just wish the D7000s had the same transparency/detail as my other headphones, while having a similar bass, a little impact loss would be ok. perhaps the TH-900 are the ones im looking for?

 

Another option would be a headphone that sounds like the Beyerdynamic T1, but was a little smoother with a bit more bass (I thought the HE-500 might do this since they're supposed to be similar in sound). Cause tbh, I use the T1 even for really bass heavy music, because everything else sounds soooo good on it, of course, if they had just a bit more bass and maybe slightly less treble for those poorer recordings, these would be the perfect headphones. Thats why i'm really interested in the HE-500. the LCD-2 would be near perfect, but are too dark for me, and the bass is a little too tight to be good for everything.

 

Ive tried using the LCD-2 in place of the D7000, but they are a little too dark for me, and they're too flat. I think the LCD-2 are the best for techno and house and stuff like that though.

 

 

Try these songs on the D7k and HE-500

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 2/18/13 at 6:16pm
post #6078 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

i just wish the D7000s had the same transparency/detail as my other headphones, while having a similar bass, a little impact loss would be ok. perhaps the TH-900 are the ones im looking for?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you're looking for the D7000s with more transparency, speed, detail, imaging and control, then the TH-900s would be right up your alley IMO.

post #6079 of 7185

exactly what im looking for, i want the D7000s to have that same sound, but to have sound quality on the same level as my other headphones (T1, HD 800, LCD-2)


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 2/18/13 at 6:28pm
post #6080 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

exactly what im looking for, i want the D7000s to have that same sound, but to have sound quality on the same level as my other headphones (T1, HD 800, LCD-2)

The TH-900s are truly the first closed headphones I've owned where I don't feel that I'm sacrificing sound quality for listening to closed headphones. They are that darn good. smile.gif

post #6081 of 7185

Tao, I'd be worried sending a pair of D7000's for someone to mod who doesn't provide any pre/post measurements of what actually is taking place and then charges an exuberant amount of money to do it.  The people who did get them moded, did that thought ever cross your mind?  I mean, you're going into it blindly. For all you know, the mod could royally mess up the sound.

 

Your MarkL moded D7000 will definitely sound different from these stock D7000's.  Hopefully one day I'll have a chance to hear a moded pair of D7000's.

 

I should really clarify my original statement about this being a bass-head's headphone.  Out of the flag-ships that are out there in the 700$-1000$ and $1000+ range, the D7000's are the only one's I've heard with this type of bass.  An atypical sound signature for a 1000$ pair of headphones.  For that reason, I'd call them a HiFi-bass head headphone and one that shouldn't be confused with something like Dre Beats.  Typically headphones in the low to Mid-fi market are built to exaggerate the bass to make the sound more appealing.

 

Out of the following; HD650's, HD600's, HE-500's, LCD2's, HD700's, RS1i's, GS1000's, etc, the D7000's would be considered the most bassy, hence my comment.

 

To make it clear, a 'bass-head's headphone' statement was in no way meant to be demeaning.  On the contrary.  The D7000's were the first HiFi headphone I've ever heard. They still sound HiFi and tilt their sound sig towards the bass more than other frequency's is all :)  Although, having them again, I wish the high's were smoother, while keeping extension like an Ortho.

post #6082 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

Tao, I'd be worried sending a pair of D7000's for someone to mod who doesn't provide any pre/post measurements of what actually is taking place and then charges an exuberant amount of money to do it.  The people who did get them moded, did that thought ever cross your mind?  I mean, you're going into it blindly. For all you know, the mod could royally mess up the sound.

 

Your MarkL moded D7000 will definitely sound different from these stock D7000's.  Hopefully one day I'll have a chance to hear a moded pair of D7000's.

 

I should really clarify my original statement about this being a bass-head's headphone.  Out of the flag-ships that are out there in the 700$-1000$ and $1000+ range, the D7000's are the only one's I've heard with this type of bass.  An atypical sound signature for a 1000$ pair of headphones.  For that reason, I'd call them a HiFi-bass head headphone and one that shouldn't be confused with something like Dre Beats.  Typically headphones in the low to Mid-fi market are built to exaggerate the bass to make the sound more appealing.

 

Out of the following; HD650's, HD600's, HE-500's, LCD2's, HD700's, RS1i's, GS1000's, etc, the D7000's would be considered the most bassy, hence my comment.

 

To make it clear, a 'bass-head's headphone' statement was in no way meant to be demeaning.  On the contrary.  The D7000's were the first HiFi headphone I've ever heard. They still sound HiFi and tilt their sound sig towards the bass more than other frequency's is all :)  Although, having them again, I wish the high's were smoother, while keeping extension like an Ortho.

 

I did them myself, so the mod cost me about $20 in dynamat with a *ton* left over. It's also why it's a full MarkL mod, Mark doesn't do the full mod on the D7000's now, but a reduced mod. I thought about it for a long time, and I don't think I would have done it if the mod wasn't so overwhelmingly highly regarded. It was a pretty big jump for me, though, and I was really nervous putting them on for the first time after doing the mod.

 

I understand now, that makes a lot more sense than what I thought you meant. What you say is true, if you want to spend $1000 on a headphone and like bass, your options are mostly in that Fostex/Denon series (D5000/D7000/TH600/TH900). I was thinking you were comparing the bass quantity to the mid-fi basshead headphones, which have a *crazy* amount of bass.


Edited by Taowolf51 - 2/18/13 at 6:45pm
post #6083 of 7185

Dubstep Girl, the bass has that subwoofer bass you're looking for on the D7000s but without the texture.  HE-500's don't have that rolling bass but they have texture which surpasses the D7000's.  The sound is more 'fun' on the D7000's for sure.  It more suit and tie fun on the HE500's.  hahha.

 

For comparison sake, the HE-500's allow you to analyze the bass, while the D7000's just let you enjoy it while throwing it all at you.

 

Siding with MH on this one.  The TH-900's are the next logical stepping stone for you. Without having heard them (have read a tons though), I'd buy them up in a heartbeat if not for the $2000 price tag *gulp*, and aesthetic reasons... the horrendous (personal preference) 'Fostex' logo on what is a beautiful looking finish.  A total slap in the face to the artist team from the marketing team.

post #6084 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolver View Post

Dubstep Girl, the bass has that subwoofer bass you're looking for on the D7000s but without the texture.  HE-500's don't have that rolling bass but they have texture which surpasses the D7000's.  The sound is more 'fun' on the D7000's for sure.  It more suit and tie fun on the HE500's.  hahha.

 

For comparison sake, the HE-500's allow you to analyze the bass, while the D7000's just let you enjoy it while throwing it all at you.

 

Siding with MH on this one.  The TH-900's are the next logical stepping stone for you. Without having heard them (have read a tons though), I'd buy them up in a heartbeat if not for the $2000 price tag *gulp*, and aesthetic reasons... the horrendous (personal preference) 'Fostex' logo on what is a beautiful looking finish.  A total slap in the face to the artist team from the marketing team.

LOL, thats a funny way to put it. 

 

umm, well if they have that subwoofer style bass thats fine with me. I know the HE-500 will have less bass for sure, but as long as its like that, i'll be happy with them, Also, i know the HE-500 will have smoother treble than the MarkL modded D7000, which seem to be a little too sibilant for me. Another reason why i wanna sell them.

 

Thanks.

 

 

and yeah, the TH-900 are out of my price range for now, but they're on my to-buy list for the future! 


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 2/18/13 at 6:58pm
post #6085 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

LOL, thats a funny way to put it. 

 

umm, well if they have that subwoofer style bass thats fine with me. I know the HE-500 will have less bass for sure, but as long as its like that, i'll be happy with them, Also, i know the HE-500 will have smoother treble than the MarkL modded D7000, which seem to be a little too sibilant for me. Another reason why i wanna sell them.

 

Thanks.

 

 

and yeah, the TH-900 are out of my price range for now, but they're on my to-buy list for the future! 

There's always the TH600. wink.gif

post #6086 of 7185
DG, you're basically in the same position I have been in for like ever. I regret selling both my D7000s, and I'd get them again (the 2012 version, which is the one I'm used to and sonically superior to the older ones) if someone sold them for around the $650 range. Stock D7000. I really loved the LCD2 and HE400 which have impressive and very textured bass, but I prefer sub bass bloom just like the stock D7000.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/19/13 at 3:25am
post #6087 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

LOL, thats a funny way to put it. 

 

umm, well if they have that subwoofer style bass thats fine with me. I know the HE-500 will have less bass for sure, but as long as its like that, i'll be happy with them, Also, i know the HE-500 will have smoother treble than the MarkL modded D7000, which seem to be a little too sibilant for me. Another reason why i wanna sell them.

 

Thanks.

 

 

and yeah, the TH-900 are out of my price range for now, but they're on my to-buy list for the future! 

 

You could get on the loaner list Headamp has for both the He-500s and the He-400s.  This is a perfect way to try both before you sell your Denons

post #6088 of 7185
Girl, you will rue the day you replace your lovely, gorgeous Denons with the He-500s (oh, I'm sure the Hifimans sound lovely ... rolleyes.gif ).

There will come a time when you realize you spend almost every evening just looking at them, sitting there on your desk, thinking accusingly "why don't you have wooden cups and oversized leather pads?" And "why do you have to take everything so seriously?" mad.gif

Soon you'll find yourself flirting with the DX2000 in an understandable, but ultimately doomed attempt to recapture some of the excitement and joy of young love, now lost. After that it's never the same for you and the 500's - the feel of velour against your cheek makes your skin crawl, the little gold connectors you once thought were so 'bling' now look cheap and tawdry. To escape, you throw yourself into a brief, torrid affair with an electrostat - rich, flash, and utterly bereft of character.

In the end, realizing you can never regain what you once, so carelessly, threw away, you trade it all in and spend your time sitting in the basement in an overstuffed leather lazyboy, drinking applejack from a wooden cup, singing 'O sole mio in a despondent, slurred baritone.
post #6089 of 7185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

Girl, you will rue the day you replace your lovely, gorgeous Denons with the He-500s (oh, I'm sure the Hifimans sound lovely ... rolleyes.gif ).

There will come a time when you realize you spend almost every evening just looking at them, sitting there on your desk, thinking accusingly "why don't you have wooden cups and oversized leather pads?" And "why do you have to take everything so seriously?" mad.gif

Soon you'll find yourself flirting with the DX2000 in an understandable, but ultimately doomed attempt to recapture some of the excitement and joy of young love, now lost. After that it's never the same for you and the 500's - the feel of velour against your cheek makes your skin crawl, the little gold connectors you once thought were so 'bling' now look cheap and tawdry. To escape, you throw yourself into a brief, torrid affair with an electrostat - rich, flash, and utterly bereft of character.

In the end, realizing you can never regain what you once, so carelessly, threw away, you trade it all in and spend your time sitting in the basement in an overstuffed leather lazyboy, drinking applejack from a wooden cup, singing 'O sole mio in a despondent, slurred baritone.

a headphone love story confused_face.gif


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 2/19/13 at 1:31pm
post #6090 of 7185

It's raining outside and enjoyed the warm tales that audio can bring...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon AH-D7000