or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail? - Page 78

post #1156 of 1953
I specifically didn't bring up the other builder. I just said that for all the problems with singlepower, I don't recall anyone defending him with burnin. That's the other batch of fanboys.
post #1157 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
OK, I stand corrected. It seemed quite coincidental that each time a new name was added to the list, after the original list had started, that they had just purchased a SP amp.
Perhaps it was just coincidence.
That is plain not true Aaron there was no coincidence. From the beginning, most of the people I added were people I had good dealings with in the for sale forum or DIYers who I admired for their knowledge and cool builds .... like Beefy. Furthermore, this back handed character assasination is in evidence here why? What difference would it have made if my list was a SP owners club? Did you resent SP in some way?
post #1158 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
But why bring it up except to throw chaos and mayhem into an already "Armageddon-like" thread?
This whole mess proves that we need to be skeptical of the people who are selling us stuff. As I said earlier, we need to constantly scrutiny commercial designs to ensure that they are providing value for money.

There is so much crap out there, and so much fanboyism on here, that it makes it difficult to separate out what the *real* gems are. Criticism and transparency are important to keep everyone in check, to stop any other manufacturer developing into the situation we have now with Singlepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover View Post
DIYers who I admired for their knowledge and cool builds .... like Beefy
That's kind..... but I'm just a good example of monkey see, monkey do.
post #1159 of 1953

CanFEST 2009 and Mikhail update

Clearly, I am aware of the issues along with the horrible situations resulting from the actions or inactions of Mikhail. It brings me much sadness to see these terrible things happening to good people who are only guilty of wanting a headphone amp to enjoy our hobby and then being bilked out of their/your money.

When I originally asked Mikhail if he would like to attend CanFEST these issues were not all in the open as they are now. I have made multiple attempts to contact Mikhail to confirm whether he will attend or not. I have heard nothing from him.

As a result I have sent an Email to Mikhail making it clear that I am assuming he will not attend and there will not be any table space available to him. He has been removed from the exhibitor list. Thus, I think it would be reasonable to conclude that the matter of his attending CanFEST 2009 is closed.

What is important is that CanFEST be a successful and fun event for all with no hesitation on anyone's part to attend. CanFEST is an event to help us escape and forget our daily problems, if even for only a few hours. I am hopeful that my handling of this situation, in this way, will give everyone the confidence, opportunity, and comfort level to attend and enjoy what will be a wonderful day with great equipment and even greater friends. Please, make the effort to join us and be a part of the Head-Fi community in Charlotte on 2/21/09. I look forward to seeing as many of you here as possible.
Danny
Organizer--CanFEST 2009

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/of...2009-a-360873/
post #1160 of 1953
Hey, thanks Danny, showing us what really matters! CanFEST for sure.
post #1161 of 1953
Last year I purchased an used MPX3 from Tyrion for a very good price. Then I foolishly (perhaps) decided to have it upgraded by Mikhail.

We decided upfront what was to be done and I foolishly (looking back now) paid in advance the +/-$1,500 to do the mods. He was late and missed a couple of deadlines but I got my amp at CanJam09 after "only" 6 weeks in Mikhail's hands. Being anal I opened the amp and found that one of the mods I had paid had not been done, I called him on his cell phone and was told it was a mistake because although I had paid the full amount only some on the items had been written in the ticket. Well I drove back to the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale and gave him the amp back which he returned in another 3-4 weeks.

My point is that if I had not opened the amp I would have never found out the mods were not done. BTW, I opened it up again when he returned it the second time and found all the mods had been done.

So in closing I feel so bad for what some of you are going on and I sure hope you have closing to your satisfaction soon. I have had my MPX3 for sale and I may just remove it because it just does not seem right.
post #1162 of 1953
Mikhail has really screwed up in a serious way, that's for sure. But it's sort of disturbing to read so many posts suggesting that other forum members are also somehow to blame for what happened, e.g., repeated references to "fanboys" and what they supposedly did or did not do in response to criticism of SP amps. I have to confess I have no detailed knowledge about what went on before with criticism of SP or who was right and wrong, and frankly I don't really care or think it's relevant. But this thread does remind me somewhat of one of those shark feeding frenzies where the sharks get so crazy they start biting things that aren't food, i.e., other members of this forum.
post #1163 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover View Post
Furthermore, this back handed character assasination is in evidence here why? What difference would it have made if my list was a SP owners club? Did you resent SP in some way?
Earl, I have a great deal of respect for you and your knowledge and your contributions to Head-Fi.
No, it wouldn't make a difference if your list was a SP owners club, I was merely pointing out that it seemed like it was (no back handed character assassinations here). I saw that each time you added someone to your list, they (for the most part) had just bought an SP amp and was posting a lot about it.
That is my observation and I wondered why you were going down that path. If I am mistaken, then my apologies.

It is not a personal resentment for SP. Mikhail and I used to be friends and I owned 2 of his amps. What I do resent is, anyone that does anything that hurts a member here on Head-Fi. Whether it is deception, false advertising or one member ripping off someone in the FS forums.

None of my intentions come from a personal standpoint.
post #1164 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
I don't think it's fair or accurate to suggest Mikhail has always had these problems, or that his customers have always been duped. I bought a Singlepower Supra in 2004, and I still listen to it regularly. I still haven't found an amp that sounds as good, and it's worked perfectly since the day I bought it (and it hasn't blown up like some folks suggested in the 2003 threads all the SP amps would). Although I haven't spoken or dealt with Mikhail in a few years, he was always very helpful to me, and his service was good, including sending me things I ordered very quickly and sending me additional tubes and adapters, sometimes for free.

I don't know what happened since then, and I am not making any justification for what he is doing now. Like others, I am very saddened to hear about what is happening. It's not too much of an exaggeration to say this is a tragedy. But I think it's a little overstated to act like Mikhail is the anti-Christ of the headphone amp world, that he has always made krap, and that his intent all along was to dupe people. There are many instances in business where people who start out with good products and the best intentions end up, for whatever reason, engaging in conduct that is reprehensible. Sometimes this is the result of addictions, sometimes it is the result of financial difficulties, sometimes marital difficulties are the cause, or there may be other causes.

Again, I'm not being an apologist for what Mikhail is doing now. It is inexcusable. But my take on the situation is that some set of circumstances or something else has changed the way he does business, and what started out as good thing (although not without some issues) has turned into a disaster. It's really too bad.

Just my $.02.
I must post my own 2 cents here as well. I purchased an mpx3 from Mikhail several years ago, kept it for a few months, then sent it back to him in exchange for a nearly 'maxed out' supra xlr. I subsequently purchased a mid to high end es-1 a few months later. All amps but the mpx3 were delayed a few months, none ran over original cost estimate and all three amps sound(ed) fantastic. I still use the es-1 (to drive he90's) and the supra xlr. Both amps work flawlessly. Per PhilS post, I have no excuses for what has happened other than one possible explanation, no matter how far fetched. I have a battery powered pre-amp for my speaker system (the Dodd battery preamp) and it uses a wall wart to charge. The system runs off of dc power exclusively and only charges when not powered on. The only defense I can think of for SP is that the wall warts in the power supply as pictured are there for charging the DC battery (which, if present, must be beneath the wall warts). Anyway, that's my 2 cents and despite all the recent controversy, unless my SP amps stop working, I will enjoy them for many years to come. Having said that, I find very unfortunate the recent turn of events unless there is a logical resolution, which I hope comes about, as my past experiences w/ Mikhail have only been positive.

woodcans
post #1165 of 1953
Yeah definitely... I feel like at some point he has made a solid product. I've seen and heard examples of this. My SDS that I sold recently sounded great and was rock solid for its previous owner and me and I believe the new owner as well.

I didn't spend the money that I spent purely on hype and Mikhail's charisma though both may have played some part in my decisions... but I do urge owners even loyal ones to take a look at what they have inside the sooner the better.

I should have looked inside this amp (The SS-1) the day I was thinking about buying and if I had I probably would have saved myself a lot of grief and money. I should have looked in it after I had bought it. I should have looked in it after I fried it. Now I only have regrets and a two big sexy chassis with a few hundred dollars worth of parts in them that don't work.

I urge you all to do your due diligence and learn from my mistakes. Do not let fear and/or laziness keep you in ignorance.

Even a layman like myself can tell that power supply is NOT acceptable.
post #1166 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post
Per PhilS post, I have no excuses for what has happened other than one possible explanation, no matter how far fetched. I have a battery powered pre-amp for my speaker system (the Dodd battery preamp) and it uses a wall wart to charge. The system runs off of dc power exclusively and only charges when not powered on. The only defense I can think of for SP is that the wall warts in the power supply as pictured are there for charging the DC battery (which, if present, must be beneath the wall warts).
The problem with this idea is the fact that the rest of the boards in the PSU were so obviously ripped out of wallwarts themselves; it really is just a big case full of cheap wallwart parts.
post #1167 of 1953
Has anyone with issues filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

That should help expedite the process.
post #1168 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
The problem with this idea is the fact that the rest of the boards in the PSU were so obviously ripped out of wallwarts themselves; it really is just a big case full of cheap wallwart parts.

I cannot confirm nor deny this. I have no idea what the inside of a wall wart looks like.
post #1169 of 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
Clearly, I am aware of the issues along with the horrible situations resulting from the actions or inactions of Mikhail. It brings me much sadness to see these terrible things happening to good people who are only guilty of wanting a headphone amp to enjoy our hobby and then being bilked out of their/your money.

When I originally asked Mikhail if he would like to attend CanFEST these issues were not all in the open as they are now. I have made multiple attempts to contact Mikhail to confirm whether he will attend or not. I have heard nothing from him.

As a result I have sent an Email to Mikhail making it clear that I am assuming he will not attend and there will not be any table space available to him. He has been removed from the exhibitor list. Thus, I think it would be reasonable to conclude that the matter of his attending CanFEST 2009 is closed.

What is important is that CanFEST be a successful and fun event for all with no hesitation on anyone's part to attend. CanFEST is an event to help us escape and forget our daily problems, if even for only a few hours. I am hopeful that my handling of this situation, in this way, will give everyone the confidence, opportunity, and comfort level to attend and enjoy what will be a wonderful day with great equipment and even greater friends. Please, make the effort to join us and be a part of the Head-Fi community in Charlotte on 2/21/09. I look forward to seeing as many of you here as possible.
Danny
Organizer--CanFEST 2009

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/of...2009-a-360873/

This seems wrong to me. Had everyone else who planned to show their wares responded, indicating they would attend? Was Mikhail the only one who hadn't responded?

Or was the question asked of him based solely on this thread, with the action taken based, again, on this (or other similar) thread?

I haven't read through all the pages; just some here and there, but I get the gist. But something tells me that for every customer Mikhail has pissed off and (possibly) wronged, there are countless others who are happy with their purchase and ownership of a SP amp. And if he was going to exhibit his amps, isn't it a disservice to other show-goers who wanted to listen to one for themselves?

Just because a couple of people got really bad burgers and fries at Red Robin and got into a pissing match with the manager and vowed to never, ever eat there again doesn't mean that others have had the same experience, does it? I've been there a few times and I might not have been the happiest with the service a time or two, but I've always enjoyed my meal and considered it money well spent.

Others might feel the same way.

So if you chose to blacklist...I mean exclude SP from attending simply due to their (Mikhail) not following the guidelines and procedures that were put out, I say Kudos to you. However, if you felt pressured, however slight, from this thread and took the actions you did, I'd say you need to grow a pair.

Mamoru
post #1170 of 1953
dude...read the entire thread before u say something like above.
and if u still feel the same after reading the thread, then guess i can just ignore you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?