Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi - Page 9

post #121 of 281
My Shanling with all the mods was 6500
post #122 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey20 View Post
Its funny how when you go above 2-3k+ for source, there doesn't seem to be a FoTM. Its a pretty big random list of many high end sources all spread out with different owners. Either that or when you start getting into the high end source their sound begins to differ so theres like a brand sound for everyone
Well, there are many Esoteric (including the APL NWO 3.0) and EMM Labs owners on the list. I honestly expected more people to own dCS gear... I guess their 'entry level' is way above $10k and there is a lot of choice in that range.
post #123 of 281
I wish I could join the list any time soon. Heck, I'll be waiting this one for a long time! Perhaps I should try some lottery...
post #124 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkpowder View Post
Well, there are many Esoteric (including the APL NWO 3.0) and EMM Labs owners on the list. I honestly expected more people to own dCS gear... I guess their 'entry level' is way above $10k and there is a lot of choice in that range.

Their pro line starts at around $5k SRP... Elgar was just a repackaged 954 because they had strong demand from japanese audiophiles (or at least I seem to remember reading something to that effect).
post #125 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
My Shanling with all the mods was 6500
Its good to know there is someone out there whos sickness runs deeper than mine.
post #126 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
Heh, well the price point won't be going any lower. As I said before, $2K is generous if we're using the term "high-end", pretty much the only reason I did that is because I'm aware of quite a few sources between $2K-$3.5K like the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 (owned by krmathis) and the Arcam FMJ CD36 (owned by HiWire) that don't really deserve to be cut off from a list like this. If that has to include sources I don't think are high-end like the SD Transporter then so be it. (But at least the SD Transporter uses a pretty good DAC, the AKM AK4396.)

The many sources punching in right at $1K or just above (Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10, PS Audio Digital Link III, Apogee Mini-DAC, CA Azur 840C, NAD M5, et al) are not high-end, those are either studio-grade or just products that think they are, so there!
Based on this definition the Lavry Gold, being a "studio-grade" DAC, would not qualify as a "high-end" source, interesting even if it cost 8500$.
post #127 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hankins View Post
Its good to know there is someone out there whos sickness runs deeper than mine.
I'm afraid to think what Wayne has done to his three
post #128 of 281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post
Based on this definition the Lavry Gold, being a "studio-grade" DAC, would not qualify as a "high-end" source, interesting even if it cost 8500$.
You mis-interpreted my post - for any source to make the list it has to cost at least $2K. And IMO anything less than $2K isn't high-end (which is why I referred to the DAC1, DA10, DLIII). So the Lavry DA2002 does count as high-end in my book.
post #129 of 281
Made the list with the Audio Logic, but don't know how it happened haha ( I am guessing some kind of search of profiles)?

But actually I am using an Accustic Arts DAC1 Mk4 right now that is much much better than the AL. It actually lives up to the hype Audiogon has on it.
post #130 of 281
I havent been around here in a few months. But thought I would add another to the Esoteric list.
Got the P-03/D-03.
Does my clock count as part of the system? Got the G-ORb as well.
Grand total: $44k
post #131 of 281
NM
post #132 of 281
Sony XA777ES Kern Mods /Chord DAC64 ($9K)
post #133 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
And IMO anything less than $2K isn't high-end.
Though I agree with the rest of your post in principal and for the sake of this list, this line reads like: "High end equipment has nothing to do with the quality of sound and is only relating to its high price tag."

This I don't agree with.

I also don't agree with the idea that everything that costs more than $2k is automatically better than everything costing less than $2k. I'm fairly certain that if I compared all of the sources in that list to my own, there would be a number of them that I would not prefer. Personal preference factors in here as well as the fact that not everything that costs a lot of money is necissarily any good.

EDIT: And for the third scenario, that cost is the only measure of high end audio equipment, I think you'd find that any non-audiophile would find it absolutely insane to spend more than $500 on a CD player.
post #134 of 281
I use an Accuphase DP 700.
post #135 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodox View Post
Though I agree with the rest of your post in principal and for the sake of this list, this line reads like: "High end equipment has nothing to do with the quality of sound and is only relating to its high price tag."

This I don't agree with.

I also don't agree with the idea that everything that costs more than $2k is automatically better than everything costing less than $2k. I'm fairly certain that if I compared all of the sources in that list to my own, there would be a number of them that I would not prefer. Personal preference factors in here as well as the fact that not everything that costs a lot of money is necissarily any good.

EDIT: And for the third scenario, that cost is the only measure of high end audio equipment, I think you'd find that any non-audiophile would find it absolutely insane to spend more than $500 on a CD player.
Totally agree with ya.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi