Okay.... I am up and running again....
"you were down?"
Yep. Listening the other day swapping tubes, swapping headphones, having a grand ol' time. And the Cary went silent.
So I open it up.... nothing to see here. Put in the 'stock' tubes, and turn it on again. The 300B's have power and the 3 6sn7's have none. Interesting.
I called up Cary the next day to possibly ship it back to them for repair. Service Tech was great, and was pretty much walking me through repairing it.
Started to talk jibberish to me. "So did you check the output voltage on the bridge rectifier, and the filter capacitor."
Couple of searches to Wiki, and other good sites out there (thanks internet). So I go home, open it up, and follow wires here and there. Plug the amp in and check the voltage for the 300B bridge rectifier - 6.7V. Check the bridge rectifier for the 6sn7's and it was at 2.187V. Not good I think to myself.
Call up Cary again the next day, still thinking that 'yep it is bad, got to send it in'. Let him know the voltage, yep bad. So he was letting me know some part numbers if I wished to order them up.
So... what the heck. I asked him for the ratings of the parts that we were looking at (I have a local store). He went into jebberish mode again about microfarads (15000... okay that seems like a lot of those), various votages and amps. Got it.... (wrote it down).... Back to the internet.... Ahhhh...
Learned more that afternoon at work than I had in a long time.
Hit the local store, and walked out with a small bag of parts. Broke everything down last night. But I really wanted to take my time and put it together right. 12 connections for that little sucker.
Took longer than I wanted, but went together pretty smoothly. Hooked up some power, took a little step back, and turned it on. Okay... nothing went POP. Took a Voltage reading.... 7V!... now we are talking!!
Okay... put the bottom back on. Put it on the rack, drop the 'stock' tubes back in and give it a go.... (pause).... nice glowing all the way around.
CD player to go and headphone in.
Ah... back up and running. My first amp repair ever... well done me.
Oh... and it sounds pretty good too.