Just for reference, as detailed on the Ibasso page:
- Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706
- USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding
- Work as a DAC+AMP Combo or a standalone AMP
- 2-Setting Gain Switch for impedance matching
- 470mAh rechargeable Li-polymer battery with integrated charging system
- Measures 51*21*82mm, and weights only 108g
- Battery life is 38hours
- leather pouch, AC adapter, USB cable, warranty card, and owner's manual
Anyone know much about the Wolfson DAC chip used and what kind of reputation it has?
The Wolfson dac is made in different grades, like anything. The one they use is very good.
On the switch, I assume they use the on/off at the volume control, like before but I could be wrong. I have ask them about this. I would want to be able to turn off the charging if I was on the road and happened to use the dac with the laptop but to be honest I don't use my laptop as a portable source but there are some very small laptops now that could provide this mobile source.