Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › All the DACs money can buy, pt. 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All the DACs money can buy, pt. 2 - Page 3

post #31 of 198
Looks like this interesting new comer should make it on the list :

iRoc

Also, Hagerman nows launched Hagerman Audio Lab, and the Chime is now called DA10:

Hagerman Audio Labs: DA-10 Vacuum Tube USB DAC

F. Lo
post #32 of 198
The MSB Platinum DACs have the ability of having their proprietary DAC modules (4 of them in true balanced configuration) upgraded with their Signature DAC modules, a $6K upgrade. I have a Platinum II with Standard DAC modules and a Platinum III with Signature DAC modules and the difference is just stunning.
post #33 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkclo View Post
Also, Hagerman nows launched Hagerman Audio Lab, and the Chime is now called DA10:

Hagerman Audio Labs: DA-10 Vacuum Tube USB DAC
Are they still selling the Chime or is that discontinued forever? The DA-10 appears to be twice as expensive (over $1,000 more).
post #34 of 198

Peter Daniel DAC

Excellent work!

For those interested in the AudioZone DAC 1...

Contact Peter Daniel direct - phdaniel@sympatico.ca

He sells kits for DIY as well as complete units, including USB input. My completed unit is mounted on a maple plank and has USB input/RCA output - $350 including shipping - price may vary with exchange rate...

UD-10 info - Analogue output is via 1/8" mini plug only (could be used as headphone jack, but not that well regarded). I use mine as USB/SPDIF converter for input with Paradisea+ and like it better than native USB input...

t
post #35 of 198
Quick question about the listings: why are PCM2702 and PCM2702E listed as such? Isn't PCM2702E just a packaging of the PCM2702? At least that's what the datasheet at TI seems to imply. If there is a difference between the chips, what exactly would that entail?

Thanks.
post #36 of 198
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea-head
UD-10 info - Analogue output is via 1/8" mini plug only (could be used as headphone jack, but not that well regarded). I use mine as USB/SPDIF converter for input with Paradisea+ and like it better than native USB input...
Thanks for the info... Like the Headamp Pico, I couldn't be sure of the size. Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcrown View Post
Quick question about the listings: why are PCM2702 and PCM2702E listed as such? Isn't PCM2702E just a packaging of the PCM2702? At least that's what the datasheet at TI seems to imply. If there is a difference between the chips, what exactly would that entail?
They probably are the same, but where the DAC manufacturer listed the full model name in the specs, or where there has been confirmation from a designer or Head-Fier, I've listed it as well. Revisions can always crop up later, but it's true that for the case of the PCM2702, they probably won't release a K-grade.
post #37 of 198
DACs for almost 70k, wow.

What is so much different to a DAC for lets say 2k?

Is it possible to build such a high-end DAC and what would it cost?

Thanks
post #38 of 198

ONTech

I have one for you. ONTech (small Danish company).
The dacs have got rave reviews.

Link

Uses the AD1865N-K

They come in 3 types,
single ($2622),
dual mono ($4617),
dual balanced ($4617).

...more info on their kind of crappy page.
post #39 of 198
Can't see the Ensemble Dichrono Hi DAC? Ensemble Audio
post #40 of 198
Thread Starter 
Updated with more DACs.
post #41 of 198
May be we should also add Audio Horizon's tube and solid state DAC ?

Tube DAC

Solid State DAC

They are pretty active at Audiogon.

F. Lo
post #42 of 198
Thread Starter 
Added.

Do you know if the DAC-2a uses the AKM AK4396 like the TD 3.0? I couldn't find a confirmation... Also, do you know what inputs / outputs it has? Their page for it seems to lack that information.
post #43 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesymphony View Post
Added.

Do you know if the DAC-2a uses the AKM AK4396 like the TD 3.0? I couldn't find a confirmation... Also, do you know what inputs / outputs it has? Their page for it seems to lack that information.
I'm not sure too on the chips.

Regarding outputs:

The 3.0 seems to have coaxial (S/PDIF) and balanced XLR (AES/EBU) as input, and single ended RCA and balanced XLR as outputs.

The 2.0a seems to have coaxial (S/PDIF) RCA and ST Optical as input, and both RCA single ended and balanced XLR as outputs.

Also, Audio Horizon appears to offer some customisation on the 3.0 for additional cost.

F. Lo
post #44 of 198
Great effort .. just fantastic list. What would be interesting is to compare all models (using a spreadsheet i guess) listing all the DAC's, Op-Amps and Receivers used. There seems to be a big price difference between manufacturers who use virtually the same components.

I couldn't see the McIntosh MCA 1000 DAC in your list? Perhaps it is not made anymore?
post #45 of 198
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › All the DACs money can buy, pt. 2