- 602 Posts. Joined 10/2001
- Location: King of Prussia, PA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone remember the Koss K 2+2? Last post on 1/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Rank all your Headphones - Mini Review Thread Last post on 8/20/12 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over the head phones from radioshack? Last post on 8/20/10 at 7:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me find the "perfect pair" =P Last post on 7/19/10 at 4:28pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Koss Pro4AA Renovation - How far should I go? Last post on 2/14/13 at 3:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
Old 'phones: Koss Pro-4a. Anyone have any info?post #1 of 1010/30/01 at 7:25pmThread StarterMy dad had some old headphones in the basement that he's not using anymore. I believe the model number is Koss Pro-4a, but the writing is rubbing off and I can't be sure. Other tan that they are in excellent condition. They are closed headphones, with a cord attached to one ear and olive-green colored earpieces. They have a black headband with foam underneath. Does anyone have any info on these?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1010/30/01 at 8:48pmI remember finding a pair of these collecting dust in a music instrument store some time ago. I also was very interested, but disappointed at the end. First of all they're big, extremely heavy and clamping on my head. I couldn't wear tham for more than 15 min. The sound was nothing exceptional either. Collapsed soundstage and slow boomy bass. In a word, IMO you can do a lot better for not a lot of cash today.post #3 of 1010/30/01 at 8:55pmThese are the Koss Pro4AAs. They are still in production. They're decent. I'd mainly use them for studio monitoring but they are really uncomfortable and there are much better phones out there. They're certainly better than the craptacular headphones given with portables and stuff but I'm still conflicted as to whether or not I should even have them as back up 'phones. Biggest problem is comfort, but your head may be different, therfore YMMV.post #4 of 1010/30/01 at 10:43pmI used to use them (and the 'AAA follow-up) on the flight line hooked up to a walkman. The fluid filled ear pieces work great, but they fossilize quickly. They certainly do clamp ones head effectively - which is useful if you are moving about.
Two pair died due to cable problems between the earpieces. The poor 'AAA died after a certain woman sat on them. If you saw her, you would feel sorry for anything that had to support her. No, she's NOT my wife!!!!
Either way, I don't miss those headphones.post #5 of 108/21/10 at 1:04pm
A few years ago I sent my ancient Pro4AA back to Koss for a factory rebuild. If I recall, I only had to pay shipping. They are still not so comfortable. As soon as I put them on, I had flash backs of Zeppelin and Jimi. Just this week, I started burning them in to see if they sound improves.post #6 of 108/21/10 at 10:16pm
My Pro4AAT (very similar model) craves a beefy amplifier to drive it. I actually quite like the sound when amped properly, it's a strong contender at that price point, in my opinion.post #7 of 108/22/10 at 12:45pm
They are good phones for the money but do need strong amping to sound their best for sure. They need but loads of power to be driven properly.
I know when mine (when I had them) were underpowered that they sounded muffled, thin, and the bass was weak. Get a PHENIX G3 to amp them. It's a $100 OTL tube amp that should give them a dose a the power they need.
EDIT: WOW two years later and now I own a PRO4AAAT. It sounds good to me (purely nostalgia) but these do require good amping to not sound muffled and slow. Also when amped they get a tad brighter and the bass tightens up quite a bit. Are they worth full $150 when new? No for $150 they aren't worth it but I got mine from Koss directly for $60 and for $60 the are great to me.
Edited by Zombie_X - 10/1/11 at 12:09pmpost #8 of 101/30/12 at 4:59am
I AM Older Than Dirt
Having said that, these are really nice cans. I had a pair some time ago, in fact they were the first set I ever bought. At the time they were considered top drawer. Clean them up and use them. Frequency response is pretty good and I don't think you'd be able to replace them for less than $100.post #9 of 101/30/12 at 5:44amMy dad also has a set of these. He got them when he graduated high school(1975). They sound good when driven by his vintage receiver. The fluid has all evaporated/dried from the earpads and they aren't comfortable anymore. But Koss only charges $10 or so to fix them up and I've been meaning to do that.
Overall, especially if they're free, they're worth getting fixed up and keeping/using.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalkpost #10 of 105/26/13 at 11:36am
I'm new here and first time posting, but I also just got a set of Koss Pro 4A headphones almost new in box but the ear pads are very empty of what ever fluid they were filled with. I found a site that asked that I register the set for warranty use but I purchased them on Ebay and didn't want to suggest they were purchased second hand. Have any of you ever sent a set back to Koss for the warranty upgrades, and do you know if this is only some vintage models or does it include Radioshack Koss headphones? I'd like to register the Pro 4A set that I've got but don't know what year they were made and don't know what stores sold them in the day, and that's two questions they ask when registering a Koss product? The instruction brocure in my box only says that the cost of these were $50.00 and doesn't suggest the manufacture date.
- Old 'phones: Koss Pro-4a. Anyone have any info?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Looking for a good sturdy headphone amplifier 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 2 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 2 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3 modded 4 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 7 minutes ago
- › iPhone 5C and 5S: audio output 8 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum, MDR-1R, QC15, DT1350,... 8 minutes ago
- › Music > Gaming > Movie All-round Cans 11 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi