Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › k1000 w/ sub ???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

k1000 w/ sub ??? - Page 3

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post
Would it make any difference (enhance) if I add a preamp in the K1000 rig?
Could you give me some examples/suggestions of Signature 30.2 preamps?
Maybe the power Signature 30.2 (power amp without volume know) would fit in here perfectly?
I know headphone amps don't need a preamp and anything with a volume know shouldn't be used as a preamp (it would only lead to degradation of the sound).
I suggest you check out the RWA Isabella.
Its said to be an excellent match for the 30.2. Perhaps not a surprise since the Isabella are developed as a pre-amp specifically for the 30.2 and 70.2.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
I suggest you check out the RWA Isabella.
Its said to be an excellent match for the 30.2. Perhaps not a surprise since the Isabella are developed as a pre-amp specifically for the 30.2 and 70.2.
The Isabella looks lovely! For now it's a bit expensive for me. I don't know
if I would really need a preamp. I might be able to buy a Signature 30.2 power amplifier in a couple of months (I believe the stereo power amp is meant to be used as a preamp only).
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
I suggest you check out the RWA Isabella.
Its said to be an excellent match for the 30.2. Perhaps not a surprise since the Isabella are developed as a pre-amp specifically for the 30.2 and 70.2.
I have read on RWA Olivia's description: "On the outside you will enjoy simple yet elegant aesthetics and superb build quality that matches our award winning Signature 30.2 and Signature 70.2 amplifiers."

With the outside, they probably mean the design?

I have also read that the Signature 30.2 has no pre-amp input. So whatever you do, you'll always go through the pre-amp stage of your current amp, unless you swap it out entirely. This was taken from Slim Devices' Transporter from Logitech - Page 4 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

So I don't believe you can combine them? Correct me if I am wrong.
The 70.2's are mono blocks (for each channel you need one monobock).
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post
I have read on RWA Olivia's description: "On the outside you will enjoy simple yet elegant aesthetics and superb build quality that matches our award winning Signature 30.2 and Signature 70.2 amplifiers."

With the outside, they probably mean the desing?

I have also read that the Signature 30.2 has no pre-amp input. So whatever you do, you'll always go through the pre-amp stage of your current amp, unless you swap it out entirely. This was taken from Slim Devices' Transporter from Logitech - Page 4 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

So I don't believe you can combine them? Correct me if I am wrong.
The 70.2's are mono blocks (for each channel you need one monobock).
Outside refers to the metal enclosure.

The 30.2 has one set of line inputs. These can be fed from an active preamp or a source like a CDP, DAC, Squeezebox, etc.

Vinnie from RWA is your best source of answers for the questions you ask. But in most cases you can use the 30.2 with volume control with a preamp. RWA will also remove the volume control from a 30.2 if desired.
post #35 of 45
I haven't been able to test my subwoofer yet, the 8 meter RCA cables haven't been delivered yet because of the holidays
post #36 of 45
Should I connect the rca IC's (from the RWA Signature 30.2 output) to the low-level or high-pass
subwoofer inputs?
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post
Should I connect the rca IC's (from the RWA Signature 30.2 output) to the low-level or high-pass
subwoofer inputs?
While you may want to validate this with ACI and / or RWA, here is what I do with my rig...

Sub-out RCAs from 30.2 --> to Line Level Inputs on sub (I assume from your words above, this would be be the 'low-level inputs').

The 'high-pass' is probably an output from the sub used for other purposes.
post #38 of 45
Sorry, I thought there were 2 kinds of inputs (low-level and high-pass). Do you use a high-pass filter (as you can see on the ACI diagrams)? Vinnie doesn't recommend those filters.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post
Sorry, I thought there were 2 kinds of outputs (low-level and high-pass). Do you use a high-pass filter (as you can see on the ACI diagrams)? Vinnie doesn't recommend those filters.
I do not use the high pass. I have not tried it to compare, so I can't tell you whether it helps or hurts. Kent
post #40 of 45
Now I am trying to get information about which speakers would be a good match for the RWA Signature 30.2.
I have created a thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/spe...30-2-a-362077/
Since I have an ACI sub, it might be useful to check out the ACI Sapphire or Emerald? The Signature 30.2 only has 30 watt. It might be good to look for speakers with an integrated amp?
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post
Now I am trying to get information about which speakers would be a good match for the RWA Signature 30.2.
I have created a thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/spe...30-2-a-362077/
Since I have an ACI sub, it might be useful to check out the ACI Sapphire or Emerald? The Signature 30.2 only has 30 watt. It might be good to look for speakers with an integrated amp?
Many of today's audiophile amps are low power -- some as low as 2-3 watts per channel. These amps are being paired with highly effecient speakers -- typically 93 - to nearly 100db.

I don't know how effecient ACIs speaker are, but I can personally recommend Omega 8" Hemp speakers, which run close to 100 db (with 1 watt of power). At least in a small room, the combination of Omega Hemps and 30.2 will play louder than any normal person could stand for more than a few seconds.

Best bet is AudioCircle. Check out the Omega and ACI Circles. Also, there are a few posts on Red Wine's Circle where people talk about which speakers they have paired with 30.2s.

BTW: There is no need to go to a powered speaker. Doing so would bypass the excellent sound quality you already get from the RWA amp.

Kent
post #42 of 45
The bass is really awesome of the Emerald XL speakers! Unfortunately, I can only listen to the sub in mono because I am still missing a second 10 Van den Hul IC cable
The RWA Sig is a stereo amplifier, it doesn't have a subwoofer output so most likely while everything above 20 Hz sound will be outputted by the Emerald speakers, while everything below 20 HZ will be heard through the sub.
post #43 of 45
Would it "hurt" to listen to the sub in mono (only one IC) while the sub hasn't been burnt-in completely?
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post
Would it "hurt" to listen to the sub in mono (only one IC) while the sub hasn't been burnt-in completely?
Check with Mike in the ACI Circle at AudioCircle.com. I know that can be run in stereo, so each sub takes one channel (i.e. a mono signal per channel).

What I don't know is whether or not you need to modify setting to run them mono. I doublt you do, but Mike could give you the correct answer.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdemaet View Post
The bass is really awesome of the Emerald XL speakers! Unfortunately, I can only listen to the sub in mono because I am still missing a second 10 Van den Hul IC cable
The RWA Sig is a stereo amplifier, it doesn't have a subwoofer output so most likely while everything above 20 Hz sound will be outputted by the Emerald speakers, while everything below 20 HZ will be heard through the sub.
RWA Sig amps have a set of stereo outs that are line level -- they are adjusted by the volume control -- but run a full-range unapplified signal.

So if you hook your Emeralds to the speaker outs, they receive full range amplified like any normal stereo amp. If you use the RCA outs from the Sig to connect to the sub, they will also be full range, but again not amplified (i.e. line level).

The sub has an internal crossover -- with frequency adjustment on back -- so the sub can be set at a wide range of crossover points. If the Emeralds go low, you in turn will be able to set the sub a lower freqency too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › k1000 w/ sub ???