or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Dream Theater LIVE! (first time impressions)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dream Theater LIVE! (first time impressions)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hi all!

Awesome. That is the single word I would use to describe seeing DT live for the first time. Here are some highlights of the 1.5-hour stage presence:

* Jordan Ruddess playing a keytar
* John Petrucci presenting a birthday cake (and b-day song) to James LaBrie, called him a "f_cking canuck" (!) and smashed the cake in LaBrie's face!
* Mike Portnoy spitting across the stage a lot during his performance
* An animated video playing in the background during The Dark Eternal Night, of "N.A.D.S" fighting a werewolf-type creatue... MP was spitting here too
* MP sticking drumsticks up his nose and making wierd faces at the cameraman without losing the beat
* MP standing up and "dueling" with JM
* Audience given opportunity by JL to sing the chorus of many songs
* There was an 'intermission' of sorts about 2/3 through the concert. This consisted of Mario 1 footage (!) with minor text edits -- the Mario music synced with music from DT's Systematic Chaos. Also there were multiple easter eggs and a couple subliminal frame flashes (a la Fight Club)
* The band played songs from almost every studio album, including Dream and Day Unite
* Theatrical / Classical versions of DT songs were playing for the 15-20 minutes it took to set up the stage
* After the aforementioned classical covers ended and the concernt "began", they played the entire theme song from Psycho. (!)

Overall I was quite impressed. DT is already one of my favorite bands - this concert just makes me realize they are cool personalities and have a great stage presence, AND the live music is even better than the studio albums (I didn't realize that was possible! )

Sweet.


Edited by Sduibek - 6/14/14 at 8:41pm
post #2 of 13
I'm glad you liked the concert. I saw them 3 times live and they always put out a good show.Mike Portnoy has to be the most entertaining rock drummer live.

Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of their 3 last albums and I don't think I'll go see them in the future unless they pull out a greatest hits tour or another excellent album.
post #3 of 13
Um...sorry to spoil your thunder, I love DT but I was very dissapointed with their performance in Oakland last saturday.

Opeth was simply stunning and then DT came on, the mix was off, la brie was too loud, drums were too loud, I could hardly figure out what petrucci was playing, and the song list was just boring, way too many slow songs, hardly any solo's or improvisational sections, very very unlike DT IMHO. Petrucci's performance/setlist/sound etc were all significantly better at G3 last year. I guess this can be specific to the venue, but the song selection was very weak as well.

Erotomania was the only shining moment in the whole performance. There was a nice little Nintendo Mario Bros parody video in the middle, that was funny.

But man, Opeth was stunning, super tight, "Heir Apparent" sounded fantastic.
post #4 of 13
I'm seeing DT and Opeth this Saturday as part of the Progressive Nation Tour, and needless to say, I'm excited as balls. It's going to be a helluva concert, and I fully expect to die of joy during it. These reviews only enhance the anticipation!
post #5 of 13
Omg your so lucky!

My brother saw G3 several years ago with john petrucci, joe satriani, and I think eric clapton.

He also saw them tour for systematic chaos last year.
Wish I could see them...
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebascrub View Post
I'm seeing DT and Opeth this Saturday as part of the Progressive Nation Tour, and needless to say, I'm excited as balls. It's going to be a helluva concert, and I fully expect to die of joy during it. These reviews only enhance the anticipation!
Yes, the entire concert itself lasted 5.5 hours

3 and Between The Buried And Me played for about 30 minutes each. Then Opeth for about an hour and the 1.5 hours of DT goodness. DT really stole the show, though.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
Um...sorry to spoil your thunder, I love DT but I was very dissapointed with their performance in Oakland last saturday.

Opeth was simply stunning and then DT came on, the mix was off, la brie was too loud, drums were too loud, I could hardly figure out what petrucci was playing, and the song list was just boring, way too many slow songs, hardly any solo's or improvisational sections, very very unlike DT IMHO. Petrucci's performance/setlist/sound etc were all significantly better at G3 last year. I guess this can be specific to the venue, but the song selection was very weak as well.

Erotomania was the only shining moment in the whole performance. There was a nice little Nintendo Mario Bros parody video in the middle, that was funny.

But man, Opeth was stunning, super tight, "Heir Apparent" sounded fantastic.
You know what's funny? I would've said the flip of that - Opeth sounded like trash at this concern. Just boring. Which sucks being I love Opeth. Opeth and DT are definitely in the Top 5 favorite bands of mine.
post #8 of 13
This is getting my all hyped up for the show on the 20th!
post #9 of 13
Awesome. I'm seeing this tour on the 26th here in DC. It will be my first Dream Theater show as well.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sduibek View Post
Hi all!

DISCLAIMER: So let me first say that if you don't like Dream Theater you have absolutely no taste in music and must stop reading this thread immediately.
I stopped. And I'd disagree. I like a lot of music.... I like some classical, some blues, some rock, some trance, some oldies, some bluegrass, some ethnic, some hip hop, some of almost everything except gangster rap and country.

Yet... they do nothing for me. I know they're extremely talented, but to me, that doesn't mean they make good music. Any dream theater fan has raved to me about how amazingly talented they are, but that doesn't necessarily make good music. It's like a Corvette. It's fast, it handles well, it stops well, and it's reasonably priced. It's still boring to me.

>shrug<
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEr1c View Post
This is getting my all hyped up for the show on the 20th!
at the orpheum? I'm gunna be there too!
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash68 View Post
I stopped. And I'd disagree. I like a lot of music.... I like some classical, some blues, some rock, some trance, some oldies, some bluegrass, some ethnic, some hip hop, some of almost everything except gangster rap and country.

Yet... they do nothing for me. I know they're extremely talented, but to me, that doesn't mean they make good music. Any dream theater fan has raved to me about how amazingly talented they are, but that doesn't necessarily make good music. It's like a Corvette. It's fast, it handles well, it stops well, and it's reasonably priced. It's still boring to me.

>shrug<
Well what can I say... us DT fans are crazy and opinionated

EDIT: When you say 'rock' can you be more specific? I consider Metal an Prog Rock a whole seperate sub-genre, and if you don't like Metal or Prog Rock I can see not liking DT as the logical next step.
post #13 of 13
DT came over to singapore in january. Fantastic show. It rained, smokes and booze was everywhere, I almost became deaf, mute and blind. There were a few hiccups here and there, but they made it up with comedic genius. At one point portnoy was playing petrucci's guitar with one of his sticks.

Crazy, memorable experience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Dream Theater LIVE! (first time impressions)