I reeeeeeeally didn't like the stock MS1. It was so thin. Only mids and a ton of treble. Listening to rock on the MS1000 is great because the bass boost provides the punch for the drums and the mids aren't too affected IMO. The MS1000 does sound completely different than the MS1 though (obviously). Still though, the MS1000 definitely isn't a 'flat' headphone with the amount of bass holes I made so I can understand your experience.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Half-way to MS-1000 and Getting Upgrade-titus Last post on 8/20/10 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- MS1000 vs RS1 vs GS1000 VS MS pro Last post on 8/26/10 at 4:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 1/17/17 at 9:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alessandro MS Pro: Bass Distortion Problem? Last post on 11/14/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones (Alessandro MS Pro) Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:10am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have been using this for over a year now and use it nearly daily. Extremely versatile component can be used not only for mobile play, but also line out to my receiver (don't yet have funds for...
I purchased these headphones based on reviews, specifications, and looks and I am not disappointed in the least. The initial comfort for the headphones was good, but it took some adjusting to stop...
Disclaimer: The Noble Kaiser Encore sample was provided to me by Noble for the purposes of this review. The Noble K10 was my first Multi-BA earphone. While it might not be the as good as the...
For me the Encore shares the same sound signature as its predecessor Noble Kaiser K-10. There are already 31- K-10 reviews on H.F. including mine. Read what is written about the K-10, then think...
Sorry if my english is not so good. I bought this several days ago (200 euro) so I cannot post an opinion about durability. I use this dac/amp just on pc for everyday use: movies, voice,...
Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning] - Page 162post #2416 of 24594/17/14 at 8:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2417 of 24594/21/14 at 3:08amThread Starter
Mids are are a question of taste. I personally dislike recessed mids as much as overpronounced mids. IMO, the stock Gradessandros have too much mids, and the mods fixes that. I've compareded the MS1K and the Ulti to many other HPs, their tonality is very close to the super natural AKG K701...plus punch, of course. My wife is a violin player, she hasn't yet to listen to any HP that sounds as natural as the MS1K / Ulti when violin or cello sonatas are to be displayed.
4 bass holes is a lot though, maybe...post #2418 of 24595/20/14 at 4:14ampost #2419 of 24598/27/14 at 4:47pm
My first attempt. Not as good as I wanted (appearance-wise), but nicer than I expected on a first attempt. The outer grill/screen will come later. Onto the sound....the sound is a million times better...and I loved the MS-1 originally. The punch hole mod really extended the bass a bit without sacrificing that tight kick that is unique (among my collection, anyway) to the MS-1. I tried the thin layer of felt on the inner side of the distancers and wasn't happy with it--currently, it is removed. Very odd as I usually consider myself a borderline bass-head and fully expected to want to tame the treble significantly.
Dumb question, but for those out there who have the MS-1 and the MS-2, does the MS-2 have the same punch to the bass?
Dumb question number 2: Is there much reason to try an MS-2 after constructing the MS1000? I keep wondering if having a stock Grado/Alessandro is something I'll miss, and some head-fiers claim the MS-2 reproduces female vocals like nothing else...and with the correct pads, can still have the awesome punch.post #2420 of 24598/28/14 at 2:28am
I'd say all Gradessandros have the punch... it's just that some can have a bit more than others... It's a trademark actually
Through the thread there is feedback that MS2 is not so good of an option compared to MS1. My MS1s are not PS1000'd, just woodied btw. I do however have a pair of Magnum 3.5 woodied and distanced (the shorter version) with gen Grado bowls. And they're wonderful.
If you have the distancers installed in a non permanent way on the MS1s, I'd say you should go for it and just play with what you have, assuming you own the MS2 already.
Edited by xaval - 8/28/14 at 3:51ampost #2421 of 24598/28/14 at 2:52ampost #2422 of 24598/28/14 at 3:29ampost #2423 of 24598/28/14 at 3:50am
@kcdecker MS2 don't sound anything like a PS1000 or MS1000. The pads make all the difference. What the PS1000 concept brings to the table is that you get the bowl effect inherent to PS1000 + distancers, without negatively affecting the FR (on the contrary, actually lol).
Edited by xaval - 8/28/14 at 3:53ampost #2424 of 245911/11/14 at 9:38pm
Sorry to resurrect this thread but has anyone tried this mod on the rs1i? I did the mod on my MS Pro, like it quite a bit but I'm not sure whether I should do this on my RS1i or not.
Thankspost #2425 of 245911/12/14 at 8:03ampost #2426 of 245911/13/14 at 6:11amQuote:
Modding the RS1i is a waste of time IME.
MS Pro and MS1 did react favourably.
Modded RS1,RS1i,SR225 and SR325i didn't sound that good.post #2427 of 245911/22/14 at 9:52pm
Thanks. Since I'm in Singapore it's rather harder to find someone to mod the cups for me. I'm into this mod for 2 reasons, first for the sound. 2nd is for the comfort. Unfortunately getting warranty/service from Alessandro seems more diffifult than Grado (I'm in Singapore) so I sold my MSPro and get a RS1i instead.
@cosmopragma can you please tell how the change on RS1i was?post #2428 of 24591/10/15 at 5:35amI didn't want to buy a pair of MS-1 headphones, but I contacted ApatN some time ago and got the short 11.5mm distancers from him. I intended to put them on my SR325iS, but two days ago I was scouring Marktplaats.nl for Grados to fit with wooden cups and I found a pair of MS-1, with original box. So I'll be making an MS-1000.... At the end of Januari a friend from America will bring me a package with both Grado and EarZonk G-cushions...post #2429 of 24591/26/15 at 9:33amQuote:Originally Posted by 020Assassin
I didn't want to buy a pair of MS-1 headphones, but I contacted ApatN some time ago and got the short 11.5mm distancers from him. I intended to put them on my SR325iS, but two days ago I was scouring Marktplaats.nl for Grados to fit with wooden cups and I found a pair of MS-1, with original box. So I'll be making an MS-1000.... At the end of Januari a friend from America will bring me a package with both Grado and EarZonk G-cushions...
Okay, I managed to buy an MS-Pro (with a beautiful brown leather band, square rods, and wooden nubs) as well as an MS-1. I only had one set of distancers, so I figured I'd put them on the MS-Pro first. Without the modification, the MS-Pro sounds great, but the Pro definitely cannot compete with my Stax headphones. With the modification... it still couldn't. That was pretty disappointing.
So, I removed the mod from the MS-Pro and installed the distancers and G-cushion on the MS-1. The MS-1000 is a great improvement on the sound and the headphones sound ten times better than their components would let you to believe. Still not a match for my Stax, but I can accept that from a 99$ headphone (but not from a 699$ headphone).
So the MS-1 gets to stay, and the MS-Pro has to go. Anyone living in the Netherlands interested in an MS-Pro for 425 euro (and shipping), send me a PM or email.
Edited by 020Assassin - 1/26/15 at 9:43ampost #2430 of 24591/27/15 at 6:16amThread Starter
No wonder that you were undwhelmed by the Ulti when being a Stax creature. Stax is all about resolution and fidelity, whereas the whole Gradessandro bunch only does work-to-rule in that respect. In fact, I wouldn't say the Ulti's resolution is noticeably superior to HD600 or so. You get a MS1K or an Ulti when you want fun and tiptoeing. The Ulti is tiptoeing with the best SQ available IMO. But when SQ is your only concern, conventional HPs will serve you better.
Haven't been here for MONTHS. My Ultis still alive...just so...I had a cable damage close to the systems, so I had to grub them out of the wood without destroying anything. It worked, but they look a bit rugged since then ^^
- Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Prog rock 9 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 11 seconds ago
- › JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100 18 seconds ago
- › How to connect my home system? 42 seconds ago
- › Schiit Mani 46 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › [ FS ] Massdrop x HiFiMAN HE-350 -- Beyerdynamic T51i 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 2 minutes ago
- › Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphone with Mic -... by fusiondragon
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Noble Audio Encore Universal flagship in-ear monitor by WCDchee
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Saraguie
- › Hifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifier by td2004
- › Blue Ever Blue Model 1001 by B9Scrambler
- › Brainwavz B150 by dnun8086
- › SONY digital audio player Walkman NW-WM1Z N (Gold) by Whitigir
- › iFi Micro iDAC2 USB DAC/HP Amp by Sil3nce
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear