I reeeeeeeally didn't like the stock MS1. It was so thin. Only mids and a ton of treble. Listening to rock on the MS1000 is great because the bass boost provides the punch for the drums and the mids aren't too affected IMO. The MS1000 does sound completely different than the MS1 though (obviously). Still though, the MS1000 definitely isn't a 'flat' headphone with the amount of bass holes I made so I can understand your experience.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Half-way to MS-1000 and Getting Upgrade-titus Last post on 8/20/10 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- MS1000 vs RS1 vs GS1000 VS MS pro Last post on 8/26/10 at 4:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 9/4/14 at 8:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alessandro MS Pro: Bass Distortion Problem? Last post on 11/14/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones (Alessandro MS Pro) Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:10am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning] - Page 162post #2416 of 24234/17/14 at 8:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2417 of 24234/21/14 at 3:08amThread Starter
Mids are are a question of taste. I personally dislike recessed mids as much as overpronounced mids. IMO, the stock Gradessandros have too much mids, and the mods fixes that. I've compareded the MS1K and the Ulti to many other HPs, their tonality is very close to the super natural AKG K701...plus punch, of course. My wife is a violin player, she hasn't yet to listen to any HP that sounds as natural as the MS1K / Ulti when violin or cello sonatas are to be displayed.
4 bass holes is a lot though, maybe...post #2418 of 24235/20/14 at 4:14ampost #2419 of 24238/27/14 at 4:47pm
My first attempt. Not as good as I wanted (appearance-wise), but nicer than I expected on a first attempt. The outer grill/screen will come later. Onto the sound....the sound is a million times better...and I loved the MS-1 originally. The punch hole mod really extended the bass a bit without sacrificing that tight kick that is unique (among my collection, anyway) to the MS-1. I tried the thin layer of felt on the inner side of the distancers and wasn't happy with it--currently, it is removed. Very odd as I usually consider myself a borderline bass-head and fully expected to want to tame the treble significantly.
Dumb question, but for those out there who have the MS-1 and the MS-2, does the MS-2 have the same punch to the bass?
Dumb question number 2: Is there much reason to try an MS-2 after constructing the MS1000? I keep wondering if having a stock Grado/Alessandro is something I'll miss, and some head-fiers claim the MS-2 reproduces female vocals like nothing else...and with the correct pads, can still have the awesome punch.post #2420 of 24238/28/14 at 2:28am
I'd say all Gradessandros have the punch... it's just that some can have a bit more than others... It's a trademark actually
Through the thread there is feedback that MS2 is not so good of an option compared to MS1. My MS1s are not PS1000'd, just woodied btw. I do however have a pair of Magnum 3.5 woodied and distanced (the shorter version) with gen Grado bowls. And they're wonderful.
If you have the distancers installed in a non permanent way on the MS1s, I'd say you should go for it and just play with what you have, assuming you own the MS2 already.
Edited by xaval - 8/28/14 at 3:51ampost #2421 of 24238/28/14 at 2:52ampost #2422 of 24238/28/14 at 3:29ampost #2423 of 24238/28/14 at 3:50am
@kcdecker MS2 don't sound anything like a PS1000 or MS1000. The pads make all the difference. What the PS1000 concept brings to the table is that you get the bowl effect inherent to PS1000 + distancers, without negatively affecting the FR (on the contrary, actually lol).
Edited by xaval - 8/28/14 at 3:53am
- Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Motown had The Funk Brothers. Stax had Booker T. & The M.G’s. Rock... 41 seconds ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 minute ago
- › THE ACOUSTIC MUSIC THREAD 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Chi-Uni-Fi 8.5 Chicago Area HP Meet - Nov 8th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 3 minutes ago
- › IC: Montreal, Quebec Meet!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p - Price Drop 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)