I reeeeeeeally didn't like the stock MS1. It was so thin. Only mids and a ton of treble. Listening to rock on the MS1000 is great because the bass boost provides the punch for the drums and the mids aren't too affected IMO. The MS1000 does sound completely different than the MS1 though (obviously). Still though, the MS1000 definitely isn't a 'flat' headphone with the amount of bass holes I made so I can understand your experience.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Half-way to MS-1000 and Getting Upgrade-titus Last post on 8/20/10 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- MS1000 vs RS1 vs GS1000 VS MS pro Last post on 8/26/10 at 4:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 6/5/15 at 11:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alessandro MS Pro: Bass Distortion Problem? Last post on 11/14/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones (Alessandro MS Pro) Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:10am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I bought these on Geekbuying after a considerable price drop to about $16 USD. Having missed out on the hype for the Piston 2, I decided to pick up the Piston 3 instead. The other bang-for-buck IEM...
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
INTRODUCTION Being a fan of the RHA MA750 (RHA's first flagship IEM), I was quite excited to hear when RHA released the T10i. The new stainless shells, novel "memory wire" implementation,...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning] - Page 162post #2416 of 24454/17/14 at 8:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2417 of 24454/21/14 at 3:08amThread Starter
Mids are are a question of taste. I personally dislike recessed mids as much as overpronounced mids. IMO, the stock Gradessandros have too much mids, and the mods fixes that. I've compareded the MS1K and the Ulti to many other HPs, their tonality is very close to the super natural AKG K701...plus punch, of course. My wife is a violin player, she hasn't yet to listen to any HP that sounds as natural as the MS1K / Ulti when violin or cello sonatas are to be displayed.
4 bass holes is a lot though, maybe...post #2418 of 24455/20/14 at 4:14ampost #2419 of 24458/27/14 at 4:47pm
My first attempt. Not as good as I wanted (appearance-wise), but nicer than I expected on a first attempt. The outer grill/screen will come later. Onto the sound....the sound is a million times better...and I loved the MS-1 originally. The punch hole mod really extended the bass a bit without sacrificing that tight kick that is unique (among my collection, anyway) to the MS-1. I tried the thin layer of felt on the inner side of the distancers and wasn't happy with it--currently, it is removed. Very odd as I usually consider myself a borderline bass-head and fully expected to want to tame the treble significantly.
Dumb question, but for those out there who have the MS-1 and the MS-2, does the MS-2 have the same punch to the bass?
Dumb question number 2: Is there much reason to try an MS-2 after constructing the MS1000? I keep wondering if having a stock Grado/Alessandro is something I'll miss, and some head-fiers claim the MS-2 reproduces female vocals like nothing else...and with the correct pads, can still have the awesome punch.post #2420 of 24458/28/14 at 2:28am
I'd say all Gradessandros have the punch... it's just that some can have a bit more than others... It's a trademark actually
Through the thread there is feedback that MS2 is not so good of an option compared to MS1. My MS1s are not PS1000'd, just woodied btw. I do however have a pair of Magnum 3.5 woodied and distanced (the shorter version) with gen Grado bowls. And they're wonderful.
If you have the distancers installed in a non permanent way on the MS1s, I'd say you should go for it and just play with what you have, assuming you own the MS2 already.
Edited by xaval - 8/28/14 at 3:51ampost #2421 of 24458/28/14 at 2:52ampost #2422 of 24458/28/14 at 3:29ampost #2423 of 24458/28/14 at 3:50am
@kcdecker MS2 don't sound anything like a PS1000 or MS1000. The pads make all the difference. What the PS1000 concept brings to the table is that you get the bowl effect inherent to PS1000 + distancers, without negatively affecting the FR (on the contrary, actually lol).
Edited by xaval - 8/28/14 at 3:53ampost #2424 of 244511/11/14 at 9:38pm
Sorry to resurrect this thread but has anyone tried this mod on the rs1i? I did the mod on my MS Pro, like it quite a bit but I'm not sure whether I should do this on my RS1i or not.
Thankspost #2425 of 244511/12/14 at 8:03ampost #2426 of 244511/13/14 at 6:11amQuote:
Modding the RS1i is a waste of time IME.
MS Pro and MS1 did react favourably.
Modded RS1,RS1i,SR225 and SR325i didn't sound that good.post #2427 of 244511/22/14 at 9:52pm
Thanks. Since I'm in Singapore it's rather harder to find someone to mod the cups for me. I'm into this mod for 2 reasons, first for the sound. 2nd is for the comfort. Unfortunately getting warranty/service from Alessandro seems more diffifult than Grado (I'm in Singapore) so I sold my MSPro and get a RS1i instead.
@cosmopragma can you please tell how the change on RS1i was?post #2428 of 24451/10/15 at 5:35amI didn't want to buy a pair of MS-1 headphones, but I contacted ApatN some time ago and got the short 11.5mm distancers from him. I intended to put them on my SR325iS, but two days ago I was scouring Marktplaats.nl for Grados to fit with wooden cups and I found a pair of MS-1, with original box. So I'll be making an MS-1000.... At the end of Januari a friend from America will bring me a package with both Grado and EarZonk G-cushions...post #2429 of 24451/26/15 at 9:33amQuote:Originally Posted by 020Assassin
I didn't want to buy a pair of MS-1 headphones, but I contacted ApatN some time ago and got the short 11.5mm distancers from him. I intended to put them on my SR325iS, but two days ago I was scouring Marktplaats.nl for Grados to fit with wooden cups and I found a pair of MS-1, with original box. So I'll be making an MS-1000.... At the end of Januari a friend from America will bring me a package with both Grado and EarZonk G-cushions...
Okay, I managed to buy an MS-Pro (with a beautiful brown leather band, square rods, and wooden nubs) as well as an MS-1. I only had one set of distancers, so I figured I'd put them on the MS-Pro first. Without the modification, the MS-Pro sounds great, but the Pro definitely cannot compete with my Stax headphones. With the modification... it still couldn't. That was pretty disappointing.
So, I removed the mod from the MS-Pro and installed the distancers and G-cushion on the MS-1. The MS-1000 is a great improvement on the sound and the headphones sound ten times better than their components would let you to believe. Still not a match for my Stax, but I can accept that from a 99$ headphone (but not from a 699$ headphone).
So the MS-1 gets to stay, and the MS-Pro has to go. Anyone living in the Netherlands interested in an MS-Pro for 425 euro (and shipping), send me a PM or email.
Edited by 020Assassin - 1/26/15 at 9:43ampost #2430 of 24451/27/15 at 6:16amThread Starter
No wonder that you were undwhelmed by the Ulti when being a Stax creature. Stax is all about resolution and fidelity, whereas the whole Gradessandro bunch only does work-to-rule in that respect. In fact, I wouldn't say the Ulti's resolution is noticeably superior to HD600 or so. You get a MS1K or an Ulti when you want fun and tiptoeing. The Ulti is tiptoeing with the best SQ available IMO. But when SQ is your only concern, conventional HPs will serve you better.
Haven't been here for MONTHS. My Ultis still alive...just so...I had a cable damage close to the systems, so I had to grub them out of the wood without destroying anything. It worked, but they look a bit rugged since then ^^
- Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7) 30 seconds ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 48 seconds ago
- › For Sale: Mint AKG K3003 (Free Shipping to AU/USA) 1 minute ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 1 minute ago
- › Ottawa Region 2015 Head-fi Meet - Respond here 2 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 8 minutes ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 9 minutes ago
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)