- 10,238 Posts. Joined 3/2011
- Location: Selected Ambient Hype 85 - 92
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Half-way to MS-1000 and Getting Upgrade-titus Last post on 8/20/10 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- MS1000 vs RS1 vs GS1000 VS MS pro Last post on 8/26/10 at 4:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on Yesterday at 9:56 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alessandro MS Pro: Bass Distortion Problem? Last post on 11/14/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones (Alessandro MS Pro) Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:10am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
INTRODUCTION I have received FiiO DK1 directly from FiiO company in exchange for my honest opinion (as you will surely find out soon). BACKGROUND This will be short, since you don't...
I do like this headphone quite a bit although I'll be the first to say that I have a soft spot for Beyer phones being my first taste of the audiophile world. This is a review of a...
When I was a child in the '80s, one of my neighbour's kids, a gloriously goofy-looking guy of the era, was always out on his driveway fixing his motorbikes, then later, his car, a vintage Ford V8....
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning] - Page 155post #2311 of 24579/11/12 at 6:26amNowhere that I know of. I got mine from Head-fi's for-sale sub-forum.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2312 of 24571/7/13 at 9:23ampost #2313 of 24571/12/13 at 12:53am
Could someone check how deep are the jumbo pads? that is, what is the driver to ear distance?
I'm in the process of making a replacement an I'd really apprecciate if someone measured thid detail.post #2314 of 24572/6/13 at 11:35ampost #2315 of 24573/5/13 at 12:03pm
i have had these for quite a while , i didnt really give them much attention after my DT880's came in
and noe my DT880 are retired and i am using the Shure SRH-1840 , so this afternoon i was statring vacantly at my closet and remebered my MS1000 that were just sitting at the back of a box in the closet.
so i dug them out , gave the SRH-1840 a a short run with my ears for about 30 min to carmen gomes...
then i plugged the ms1000 the zero dac , and took a listen to a song...
i was instantly impressed and was listen for 10 min before i realized i side tracked , i realize i was missing more bass in my 1840 , dont get me wrong the 1840's has way better bass accuracy then these , but these seemed to have a nicer bass ? made it seem more full
the soundstage was another , i instantly felt like i was "cheated " by the 1840's
these had a wider stage " due to the longer cavity"
the mids , well i could'nt concentrate on them the sound-stage was just taking all my attention.
and i dont know how to tell " treble rolloff " (i dont think i have realized this or maybe my hearing cant sense it or that i like it , ( alos couldnt sense it with the DT880's)
overall the ms1000 made the music feel...er musical ? i sensed a little more aggression from it when i was listening to utada hikaru
for me i only sensed a little diff between these two , and if say i was listening for long i dont think i would have been able to tell the difference , which make me feel alittle upset with the 1840 , even though i know their main title is to be super neutral with a slight bass shyness.
I dont understand when people say that these bowl pads are comfortable...honestly i find them bloody irritating , they touch my ears and the sponge texture is like sand paper to my ears and to the side of my face.post #2316 of 24573/24/13 at 9:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by SHAHZADA123
I will be trying this mod on these models
& last, but certainly not the least
Would appreciate inputs.
For the RS1i, is it OK if the distancers are glued on? I don't know how to liberate the drivers and would rather keep it this way.
A pair of vintage SR200 with HP-2 drivers are arriving in a week and I'll be able to try this mod.
Anyone have experience with this.
Curious if you ever 1000'd the Magnum... thoughts?post #2317 of 24574/3/13 at 5:18amThread Starter
Haven't been here for months, astonishing that the thread still seems to be (kind of) alive.
To the Magnum issue: I 1000'ed a Magnum for someone last year. The result was a bit ambivalent: The mids and treble section outperformed even my MS Pro Ulti (a 1000'ed MS Pro for those who don't know), that was a new benchmark in respect of "being there" naturalness. What I personally didn't like were the lower registers, there was simply less bass. Maybe this can be cured by the punch hole mod, but as that pair of cans wasn't mine...post #2318 of 24574/9/13 at 12:08pmIts been asked before but since this is recent, is there a place in the US I can get the distancers? Im actually really interested in converting my MS1s. I love them as they are but this mod sounds like its extremely fun.post #2319 of 24578/13/13 at 5:55pm
Hopefully this hasn't been posted already, but if it has I apologize for the redundancy.
Off brand G cushes for less than half the price! I ordered a pair for my MS1000s and they are great! They fit wonderfully.post #2320 of 24578/21/13 at 4:49pm
So you can get distancers 3d printed from here. I did the CADing. A pair in alumide will cost you $25 shipped. The specs are in-line with those on the first page.
It's cheaper to do some DIY, but the novelty of this is kind of cool. I don't know if they'll work well for this mod yet, as the ones I ordered aren't going to come in for a while, but I'll give an update when they do.
Edited by chanman - 8/21/13 at 5:17pmpost #2321 of 24578/21/13 at 11:46pmHuh, I wonder if doing some full cups through them would be possible. I don't see why not. I got no CAD experience, personally, so not something I can look into with concerns of price and such. I'm still waiting for 3D printers to reach consumer-level and get a little more refined, but I think they're going to be A LOT of fun for those of us into modding.
Actually, I'd love to see what kind of costs cups would incur, even if they're made of plastic. One coud still have some really unique designs in plastic and I imagine you could design it thicker than the original Grado plastic to help with resonance.post #2322 of 24578/22/13 at 8:02am
Based on what I've seen on the site, I don't think it would be much more than $20-25 per cup, even if you got fancy with it, as long as you keep the material usage reasonable. However it seems that all of their plastics are non-rigid. Alumide seems to be the closest thing they have to a rigid plastic.. it's a polymer infused with a aluminum dust apparently. Not too sure about the acoustic properties of it though. I might try CADing out a cup analogue at some point to see some actual costs.post #2323 of 24578/22/13 at 10:47amThread Starterpost #2324 of 24578/22/13 at 2:09pmQuick question, what would you recommend for use as glue? I decided I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for some nice 3d printed ones and fashioned a couple out of some pvc pipe. Just waiting for the pads to come in.post #2325 of 24578/22/13 at 2:46pmQuote:
I used gorilla glue with PVC and it worked nicely
- Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 59 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › How bright is an ultrasone pro 900? 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on AuGlamour R8 and Sennheiser IE80 AAA grade inspired? 4 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese CIEM and UIEM manufacturers 7 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 8 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO Multifunction Dock (DK1) by OSiRiSsk
- › beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO Studio Headphones by Soundsgoodtome
- › Chord DAVE by Currawong
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...