- 10,031 Posts. Joined 3/2011
- Location: Selected Ambient Hype 85 - 92
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Half-way to MS-1000 and Getting Upgrade-titus Last post on 8/20/10 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- MS1000 vs RS1 vs GS1000 VS MS pro Last post on 8/26/10 at 4:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 2/26/15 at 5:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alessandro MS Pro: Bass Distortion Problem? Last post on 11/14/11 at 5:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones (Alessandro MS Pro) Last post on 9/27/11 at 3:10am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Master & Dynamic for providing me with a review sample of ME03 in exchange for my honest opinion. Also, I have to apologize for some of the...
Hey the bang for your buck ratio is great for these. I got them years ago for $500. I've been using them to replace the little tin box in my TV for years. The satellite surrounds are ignored/not...
So this is my first day impression of the Emotiva Stealth 8 speakers and I will be updating every week untilll I have come to the conclusion that I've finally made it through the burn-in process....
Intro Well, after almost two years on Head-fi, I feel it is time to put my words out there and write my first review. In doing so, I feel it is only right that it be about the newly released...
OK This is my first headphone review so please be easy. I am not much on technical terms and such. I know what I like but is difficult to come to words at times. A little about me: Love most...
Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning] - Page 155post #2311 of 24409/11/12 at 6:26amNowhere that I know of. I got mine from Head-fi's for-sale sub-forum.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2312 of 24401/7/13 at 9:23ampost #2313 of 24401/12/13 at 12:53am
Could someone check how deep are the jumbo pads? that is, what is the driver to ear distance?
I'm in the process of making a replacement an I'd really apprecciate if someone measured thid detail.post #2314 of 24402/6/13 at 11:35ampost #2315 of 24403/5/13 at 12:03pm
i have had these for quite a while , i didnt really give them much attention after my DT880's came in
and noe my DT880 are retired and i am using the Shure SRH-1840 , so this afternoon i was statring vacantly at my closet and remebered my MS1000 that were just sitting at the back of a box in the closet.
so i dug them out , gave the SRH-1840 a a short run with my ears for about 30 min to carmen gomes...
then i plugged the ms1000 the zero dac , and took a listen to a song...
i was instantly impressed and was listen for 10 min before i realized i side tracked , i realize i was missing more bass in my 1840 , dont get me wrong the 1840's has way better bass accuracy then these , but these seemed to have a nicer bass ? made it seem more full
the soundstage was another , i instantly felt like i was "cheated " by the 1840's
these had a wider stage " due to the longer cavity"
the mids , well i could'nt concentrate on them the sound-stage was just taking all my attention.
and i dont know how to tell " treble rolloff " (i dont think i have realized this or maybe my hearing cant sense it or that i like it , ( alos couldnt sense it with the DT880's)
overall the ms1000 made the music feel...er musical ? i sensed a little more aggression from it when i was listening to utada hikaru
for me i only sensed a little diff between these two , and if say i was listening for long i dont think i would have been able to tell the difference , which make me feel alittle upset with the 1840 , even though i know their main title is to be super neutral with a slight bass shyness.
I dont understand when people say that these bowl pads are comfortable...honestly i find them bloody irritating , they touch my ears and the sponge texture is like sand paper to my ears and to the side of my face.post #2316 of 24403/24/13 at 9:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by SHAHZADA123
I will be trying this mod on these models
& last, but certainly not the least
Would appreciate inputs.
For the RS1i, is it OK if the distancers are glued on? I don't know how to liberate the drivers and would rather keep it this way.
A pair of vintage SR200 with HP-2 drivers are arriving in a week and I'll be able to try this mod.
Anyone have experience with this.
Curious if you ever 1000'd the Magnum... thoughts?post #2317 of 24404/3/13 at 5:18amThread Starter
Haven't been here for months, astonishing that the thread still seems to be (kind of) alive.
To the Magnum issue: I 1000'ed a Magnum for someone last year. The result was a bit ambivalent: The mids and treble section outperformed even my MS Pro Ulti (a 1000'ed MS Pro for those who don't know), that was a new benchmark in respect of "being there" naturalness. What I personally didn't like were the lower registers, there was simply less bass. Maybe this can be cured by the punch hole mod, but as that pair of cans wasn't mine...post #2318 of 24404/9/13 at 12:08pmIts been asked before but since this is recent, is there a place in the US I can get the distancers? Im actually really interested in converting my MS1s. I love them as they are but this mod sounds like its extremely fun.post #2319 of 24408/13/13 at 5:55pm
Hopefully this hasn't been posted already, but if it has I apologize for the redundancy.
Off brand G cushes for less than half the price! I ordered a pair for my MS1000s and they are great! They fit wonderfully.post #2320 of 24408/21/13 at 4:49pm
So you can get distancers 3d printed from here. I did the CADing. A pair in alumide will cost you $25 shipped. The specs are in-line with those on the first page.
It's cheaper to do some DIY, but the novelty of this is kind of cool. I don't know if they'll work well for this mod yet, as the ones I ordered aren't going to come in for a while, but I'll give an update when they do.
Edited by chanman - 8/21/13 at 5:17pmpost #2321 of 24408/21/13 at 11:46pmHuh, I wonder if doing some full cups through them would be possible. I don't see why not. I got no CAD experience, personally, so not something I can look into with concerns of price and such. I'm still waiting for 3D printers to reach consumer-level and get a little more refined, but I think they're going to be A LOT of fun for those of us into modding.
Actually, I'd love to see what kind of costs cups would incur, even if they're made of plastic. One coud still have some really unique designs in plastic and I imagine you could design it thicker than the original Grado plastic to help with resonance.post #2322 of 24408/22/13 at 8:02am
Based on what I've seen on the site, I don't think it would be much more than $20-25 per cup, even if you got fancy with it, as long as you keep the material usage reasonable. However it seems that all of their plastics are non-rigid. Alumide seems to be the closest thing they have to a rigid plastic.. it's a polymer infused with a aluminum dust apparently. Not too sure about the acoustic properties of it though. I might try CADing out a cup analogue at some point to see some actual costs.post #2323 of 24408/22/13 at 10:47amThread Starterpost #2324 of 24408/22/13 at 2:09pmQuick question, what would you recommend for use as glue? I decided I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for some nice 3d printed ones and fashioned a couple out of some pvc pipe. Just waiting for the pads to come in.post #2325 of 24408/22/13 at 2:46pmQuote:
I used gorilla glue with PVC and it worked nicely
- Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 18 seconds ago
- › Pictures of your speaker setup! 37 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 57 seconds ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 1 minute ago
- › Matrix M-Stage Static/Crinkling Noise 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 3 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › AKG K7XX by Change is Good
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3