Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Ripping high res from DVD-A, it's easy now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping high res from DVD-A, it's easy now

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
There is now a front-end application that will do this with ease.

See here for more information;
DVD-A Explorer Alpha 8 - Hydrogenaudio Forums
post #2 of 40
Has anyone tried this out? There are ppl on Hydrogenaudio who claim that it works. Should give it a shot sometime, definitely something that will help a lot if it works right.
post #3 of 40
Yes, I can confirm that it works great. The actually thread where the developer is posting new releases is over on doom9:
DVD-Audio ripper - Doom9's Forum

The latest version as of this post is "Beta 1", several releases past "Alpha 8", and there are links for both Windows and MacOSX Universal binaries and source code there.
post #4 of 40
Interesting!
Have problems getting a hold of the Mac OS X binary though, as the host seems to be overloaded.
post #5 of 40
Excellent! I'm gonna go try it out. I'll be super-pleased if this works like I think it will...

Edit: And it does! What a great little program.

So far, so good... I just wish it could rip PCM streams from the VIDEO_TS section, since some of my DVD-As don't have MLP 2.0 stereo tracks.
post #6 of 40
I would like to get an update on this. I have no dvd capability on my computer at all. Would this allow me to rip and import my dvd-a's into my iTunes?
TIA..ciao
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido2 View Post
I would like to get an update on this. I have no dvd capability on my computer at all. Would this allow me to rip and import my dvd-a's into my iTunes?
TIA..ciao
Your drive must be capable of reading DVDs in order to rip them. Otherwise, the answer is yes; the program rips to WAV and you're free to compress the files using something like FLAC or Apple Lossless (ALAC).
post #8 of 40
Very cool...thank you. I guess I need a DVD drive then.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido2 View Post
I would like to get an update on this. I have no dvd capability on my computer at all. Would this allow me to rip and import my dvd-a's into my iTunes?
TIA..ciao
I'm afraid this tool is a little beyond me.
Opening my New Gold Dream audio folders, there are the tracks with L_R channel assignment, and those in another folder with different channel assignments. With Hotel California, the situation is even more complicated, with multiple audio folders. The manual states it doesn't matter which audio folder you extract from, but doesn't elaborate. Clearly it's not as straightforward as I thought. Just my 2 cents.
post #10 of 40
I'm not too up on this, but if I bought a DVD-A, could I rip it to my computer then play it back at full bitrate through a DAC capable of it? If so, then it might be time to invest in a new DAC.
post #11 of 40
yes it's been possible to rip DVD-A since 2005 (of course back then it required windvd and a hackish method for extraction)
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2 View Post
I'm afraid this tool is a little beyond me.
Opening my New Gold Dream audio folders, there are the tracks with L_R channel assignment, and those in another folder with different channel assignments. With Hotel California, the situation is even more complicated, with multiple audio folders. The manual states it doesn't matter which audio folder you extract from, but doesn't elaborate. Clearly it's not as straightforward as I thought. Just my 2 cents.
What you're seeing is the information exactly as it's organized on the disc. Those extra folders could contain song preview clips, sample clips from other albums, Dolby Digital or DTS mixes, or unencrypted PCM mixes in addition to the standard stereo and multi-channel MLP-encoded content. It's up to you to look at the file information to determine what a folder contains--there is no standard for organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
I'm not too up on this, but if I bought a DVD-A, could I rip it to my computer then play it back at full bitrate through a DAC capable of it? If so, then it might be time to invest in a new DAC.
Yes, that's one of the main goals behind ripping it. Once the encryption is stripped, the resulting WAV files can be sent digitally just like any other audio file up to 24-bit/192 kHz (assuming your sound card is capable of digitally sending that rate). This is the part that may be illegal, just like DeCSS stripped the protection on DVD-V discs.
post #13 of 40
Works like a charm for my DVD-a of the Beatles "Love". Quick too

I just ripped the whole album, and converted it to flac and multi channel ogg, to see if it were possible.. it is. Now for some listening tests
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesymphony View Post
What you're seeing is the information exactly as it's organized on the disc. Those extra folders could contain song preview clips, sample clips from other albums, Dolby Digital or DTS mixes, or unencrypted PCM mixes in addition to the standard stereo and multi-channel MLP-encoded content. It's up to you to look at the file information to determine what a folder contains--there is no standard for organization.
Thanx,
I'll look for the stereo or MLP content.
post #15 of 40
ooolala ...I have about 100+ DVD-A's (I like 'em better then SACD in many cases). Just what I've been looking for.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Ripping high res from DVD-A, it's easy now