Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › K701 appreciation thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K701 appreciation thread! - Page 7

post #91 of 2356
I've had mine for about a month, and they already kicked the HD580 out the door. In truth I never loved the 580 (well, until the zu cable arrived) and even though they're different animals, I found myself putting on the 701 80-90% of the time.

Mine have a black dragon single ended on them, and my word they really sing. Even if my amp is generally considered unacceptable (Millett with TREAD) I still love them.

Now it's Stax while the sun is up, and 701 once it sets.

Really an astonishing pair of headphones. I disliked them for a whole year, until I heard the pair I bought.

Is there any way to tell how old they are? Mine are at least third hand...
post #92 of 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

Is there any way to tell how old they are? Mine are at least third hand...

Serial number maybe. But then again you never know. Your pair could have sat on a shelf for 2 years before being sold.
post #93 of 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vextrek View Post
Just got my K701s. I am currently burning them in but just had to have a sneak listen before they burned in completely. I was blown away at the sound. I just love them. Can't wait to see what the burn in will do for the sound
Vex,
Give them about 300 hours and you may be amazed at the transformation--the K701 should really open up! : )
PAB
post #94 of 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
I've had mine for about a month, and they already kicked the HD580 out the door. In truth I never loved the 580 (well, until the zu cable arrived) and even though they're different animals, I found myself putting on the 701 80-90% of the time.

Mine have a black dragon single ended on them, and my word they really sing. Even if my amp is generally considered unacceptable (Millett with TREAD) I still love them.</snip>
Your "Millett with TREAD" also includes Diamond Buffers, according to your signature. Who the h*ck has led you to believe that combo is "generally considered unacceptable?" You'd have to pay ~>$500 for a commercial tube amp that sounds as good, IMHO. It will hold its own against many solid state amps, as well. The fact that it can make K701's "really sing" should tell you something. Many amps will fall flat trying to drive a K701.

Sorry, I get a little perturbed at Millett-bashing (whoever led you to believe it was "unacceptable").
post #95 of 2356

Just ordered a pair

I just ordered a pair of the K701s yesterday. Can't wait to get them, but I think waiting for them to burn in will be the tough part. Don't have an amp for them right now, so I'm hoping they will still sound pretty good. What amp would some of you more experienced owners recommend? My budget is probably under $300. I don't know much about this kind of stuff so thanks in advance.
post #96 of 2356
For about $300, the Darkvoice 336i will do the K701 justice. Add about $200 more and the Bada PH-12 will do even better! : )
post #97 of 2356
AKG K701 is my favorite OPEN cans so far! They are simply amazing!!!
post #98 of 2356
ukcatz12:

I have K701 paired with Little Dot MKV and they sound amazing. Every time I listen to them my heart fills with joy that I have them.

Consider Little Dot MKV. ~$350 shipped. It's a dual mono design btw. Try to find a similar amp at this price...
post #99 of 2356
I've had the ALO k701's for a bit under two weeks now, none of my other headphones have seen any headtime...at all!!
post #100 of 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcatz12 View Post
I just ordered a pair of the K701s yesterday. Can't wait to get them, but I think waiting for them to burn in will be the tough part. Don't have an amp for them right now, so I'm hoping they will still sound pretty good. What amp would some of you more experienced owners recommend? My budget is probably under $300. I don't know much about this kind of stuff so thanks in advance.
The Shanling PH-100 at around 218 USD is an excellent match for the K701s.
post #101 of 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by arteom View Post
I've had the ALO k701's for a bit under two weeks now, none of my other headphones have seen any headtime...at all!!
X2 . I have had my APuresound V3 recabled AKG K701 for almost 3 weeks and I have used my D2000 during that span 2 times .
post #102 of 2356
i have just sold off my k701 today. awaiting gs1k to be delivered.
post #103 of 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post
It will hold its own against many solid state amps, as well. The fact that it can make K701's "really sing" should tell you something. Many amps will fall flat trying to drive a K701.
Duly noted. It's survived two years of upgrade-itis (save the brief consideration of a YJPS) and looks to be in position to survive many, many more. It's scaled well with every component upgrade so far, and I imagine it would only get better with a better power supply.

Please accept my apologies for continuing the cycle of abuse against an amp I dearly love. If you find one for sale, UKCatz, you'd do very well to pick it up. They go for about $150 on here, but they sound three times that good. The Millett MAX, from what I've read, sounds even better.
post #104 of 2356
For me, the K701 fared better with tube amps.

The RAL recabled K701 served me well for over a year. After some long range, critical a/b-ing between the K701 and the K501, however, I retained the K501 and have never looked back. : )
post #105 of 2356
I'm currently using my K701's with a Darkvoice 332 amp and Diyeden SVDAC04 DAC, and it's sounding really bright and sibilant at times, at least compared to my HD650's. Would further burning it in lessen the brightness and sibilance?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › K701 appreciation thread!