or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which 3 Headphones To Keep? (Decision Made!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which 3 Headphones To Keep? (Decision Made!) - Page 5

post #61 of 116
Everytime I read Fitz's comments about the k240sextetts my ebay window somehow opens...
post #62 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Ok, a minor update for those speculating on which I was going to keep for myself. Since I am allowed 3 headphones to stay, these are the ones I am keeping and the reasons why:

K240 Sextett (Middle Production): Hardly requires explanation. My favorite headphones EVER by a gap that makes the Grand Canyon look like just a crack in the ground. I was tempted by the early production for it's extra deep bass response, but the grilles on it hurt my ears on long listening sessions (or if I have them on when I fall asleep), so that ruled them out. It is still difficult for me to express with words just how perfect this phone is for me. People find their "perfect" headphone all the time, only to change to something else a few months later, but that is absolutely not the case here. I've been using this for well over a year now, and I'm still amazed by them as much as I was the first time I listened to them. I'm just so happy to have been able to share this headphone with so many other people, and to be able to wrap things up like this having already found my ideal headphone.


K1000: Again, not much explanation required for most people, but for those who do not hold the K1000 as the Holy Grail (which I don't either), I will elaborate. I am more of a speaker guy than a headphone guy, but necessity dicates I must use headphones most of the time. The K1000 is the closest headphone I have to my main speaker rig in tonality, balance and overall presentation (except the bass, but oh well ), so it is a good choice for me to use as an alternative when I must keep the volume down. Due to their value I can only use this phone for serious listening, and not while lying down or otherwise in a position to likely sling them across the room when finished listening, so that brings me to the last phone.

K401: It was a toss-up between this and the K290 for the third spot. As much as I love the K290, it was too similar to the K240 to merit keeping it instead of the K401. The K401 provides a nice contrast to the K240, and also gives a more "airy" sounding phone I can use in times when using the K1000 isn't an option. I ruled out the K400/K500 because I felt it would be better to let those go to other people due to their relative obscurity, and I've grown apart from the K501 a bit due to it's slightly sharp sounding upper midrange.


So there you have it.
Pretty much agree.. They been my go to cans ever since I got them last week.
post #63 of 116
I for one am glad to hear that you're keeping a K401, Fitz.
post #64 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
K401: It was a toss-up between this and the K290 for the third spot.
Why stick to the limit of three when four covers your ears better? Is it just the symbolic act or is there some practical reason? I think it still qualifies as rigorous whittling-down to keep only four, considering the collection as it once stood.
post #65 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by facelvega View Post
Why stick to the limit of three when four covers your ears better? Is it just the symbolic act or is there some practical reason? I think it still qualifies as rigorous whittling-down to keep only four, considering the collection as it once stood.
It's gotta be a woman.
post #66 of 116
Fitz, may you describe the differences between the sonic qualities of K401, K501, K601 and K701? Which are the best for female vocals(K501?) and for classic music(K701?)? And what about comfort and driveability?
post #67 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMe View Post
Good decisions Fitz. I have (essentially) 2/3rds of those and no intentions of ever buying a K1000, maybe I should wind things down too... but probably not.

What's your speaker setup?
Denon CD/DVD player as source using SPDIF output, Behringer DEQ2496 as digital equalizer (parametric EQ to cut the peaks due to a bad listening room, and also apply a very slight shelf eq to tone down the upper treble), Panasonic SA-XR57 digital switching amplifier, and Dahlquist M-907 speakers on 16" cinder block stands (which are going to get nice custom wood stands, because even I think they look silly ), toed in to point at the listening position.

It also serves as the "home theater" even though it is just 2 channel, but soundstage is very good and the "phantom" center channel is clear and focused, and it also doesn't really need a subwoofer for action stuff (SPL at 16Hz is same as 1KHz).



Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpoor View Post
just curious, how different do the k401 and k400 sound from each other?
Depends on which version of the K400, but they are generally more similar than different.
post #68 of 116
I think the price of cinder blocks just tripled on ebay...

Never knew there were variations within the K400, what are the telltale signs?
post #69 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvanrij View Post
Everytime I read Fitz's comments about the k240sextetts my ebay window somehow opens...
Hahaha



Quote:
Originally Posted by facelvega View Post
Why stick to the limit of three when four covers your ears better? Is it just the symbolic act or is there some practical reason? I think it still qualifies as rigorous whittling-down to keep only four, considering the collection as it once stood.
Because three is the number agreed upon.

One "fancy" headphone (K1000) and two "regular" headphones (K240 and K401). I could probably get away with four if I didn't keep the K1000, but I think I would be less satisfied with the choices if I did it that way.

Cheap phones I have for testing equipment don't count into the total though, because they'll stay at the workbench.

Many things are being downsized though, not just the headphones. For example, I just finished moving my anime DVDs into Slappa cases and put the original cases in storage, so now I can have as many DVDs as will fit into Slappa cases on the shelves of the AV stand. So that actually works out the opposite since I can have more, but they're "out of sight, out of mind" now.

The music DVDs and movies stay out on the regular shelf though (for now), for better access.

This is so much work!
post #70 of 116
so how does the k280 compare to the k290? I read you mention that the k290 is a more resolved version of the k280. And you comparing them to the sextett makes me think that the k290 has more detail than the k280, or more treble energy?
post #71 of 116
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I think I lied about the K401. I'm reconsidering going with the K501 instead of the K401, for a greater contrast to the Sextett. I'm also still a little partial to the way the K501 makes most things sound like they were recorded with an AKG vocal mic. If I had to only choose one, I'd probably go with the K401, but I think in this 3-way selection, the K501 might be a better choice. Decisions, decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post
so how does the k280 compare to the k290? I read you mention that the k290 is a more resolved version of the k280. And you comparing them to the sextett makes me think that the k290 has more detail than the k280, or more treble energy?
Neither the K280 nor K290 would have a lot of what I'd describe as treble energy, it's just the K280 leans towards being more warm and laid back, whereas the K290 has a clearer midrange and has a little more of that euphonic Sextett treble (hard to describe specifically, but it's very obvious when you listen to the Sextett). Overall, they're still both relatively dark phones.
post #72 of 116
I need to keep listening to the Sextetts then. It is not very obvious to me that the treble is euphonic.

I also am not quite sure why you want a lot of contrast with the Sextett, which you say is the perfect headphone for you. Mind if you clarify?
post #73 of 116
Thread Starter 
If it is not euphonic, either your Sextett or ears are broken.

If I am only keeping 3 phones, which would make more sense: A Sextett and two headphones that sound 90% like the Sextett, or a Sextett and two headphones that sound different than the Sextett? Is very obvious to me.
post #74 of 116
Who knows, it could be a bit of both. I doubt both sets are broken, and I'd notice an extreme variation not due to the difference in baffles/passives, so it may be my ears? That would suck, as I'm a violinist.

And personally I would take 3 variations on the same ideal sound for me, but I see your point.
post #75 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
K401: It was a toss-up between this and the K290 for the third spot. As much as I love the K290, it was too similar to the K240 to merit keeping it instead of the K401. The K401 provides a nice contrast to the K240, and also gives a more "airy" sounding phone I can use in times when using the K1000 isn't an option. I ruled out the K400/K500 because I felt it would be better to let those go to other people due to their relative obscurity, and I've grown apart from the K501 a bit due to it's slightly sharp sounding upper midrange.
Hey Fitz,
What do you mean by obscurity?

Also, how do you think the k400 ranks amonst current and older AKGs?

It has been my favorite AKG besides the k1000 and I feel very lucky to own one in fantastic condition. For me, it is hard to see why these were not more popular.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which 3 Headphones To Keep? (Decision Made!)