Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp - Page 451

post #6751 of 6815

You are right

Thank you very much again Fred! :-)

 

Cheers

 

Toni

post #6752 of 6815

I just used the 50K and 50K pots. Plenty loud in my Sennheiser 650s especially with the CCS! 

post #6753 of 6815

I am looking for a DIY USB DAC that will play nice with SSMH, any idea?

post #6754 of 6815

GrubDAC or pupDAC from beezar.com (TomB)

post #6755 of 6815

Mine is working with a PCB version of the odac

post #6756 of 6815

Anyone with the 17ew8 build finds the highs a little piercing? I'm using the DT770 pro 250ohm. It's specially noticeable when watching action movies with moderate to high volumes. If I switch to my portable amp (Fiio e6), everything is fine.

 

Is there something I can do to decrease high frequencies on the amp?

I'm thinking my problem could be the combination of the DT770 and the MSSH, because the DT770s are known to have piercing treble and the amp is probably adding even more.

post #6757 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatsu View Post
 

Anyone with the 17ew8 build finds the highs a little piercing? I'm using the DT770 pro 250ohm. It's specially noticeable when watching action movies with moderate to high volumes. If I switch to my portable amp (Fiio e6), everything is fine.

 

Is there something I can do to decrease high frequencies on the amp?

I'm thinking my problem could be the combination of the DT770 and the MSSH, because the DT770s are known to have piercing treble and the amp is probably adding even more.


No such problem with my 17ew8 & dt1350

post #6758 of 6815

Hey all I just finished my build, original schematic using the 19j6 tubes, and the thing doesn't work. tubes don't light, sound doesn't come through, nothing. any ideas? everything looks hooked up correctly.

 

 

 

also, got a nice 2nd or third degree burn on my arm from my soldering iron whilst building it.

post #6759 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff View Post
 

Hey all I just finished my build, original schematic using the 19j6 tubes, and the thing doesn't work. tubes don't light, sound doesn't come through, nothing. any ideas? everything looks hooked up correctly.

 

 

 

also, got a nice 2nd or third degree burn on my arm from my soldering iron whilst building it.


Sorry about your arm!  You might try a soldering station that has an iron holder.  That tends to keep the hot iron off the table where you might brush it with your arm. ;)

 

As for the rest - assuming you have two good tubes (it's a bit against probability that both would be bad) - you should be able to light the tubes.  One thing to look for in the Starving Student is that the MOSFET tabs are part of the circuit, so they must be properly insulated from the rest of the amp.  If not, they will be shorted.  Since the tube-heater circuit is connected to and used to bias the MOSFETs, that might be why you don't get the tubes to light.

 

Just a guess ...

post #6760 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff View Post

 
Hey all I just finished my build, original schematic using the 19j6 tubes, and the thing doesn't work. tubes don't light, sound doesn't come through, nothing. any ideas? everything looks hooked up correctly.



also, got a nice 2nd or third degree burn on my arm from my soldering iron whilst building it.


Sorry about your arm!  You might try a soldering station that has an iron holder.  That tends to keep the hot iron off the table where you might brush it with your arm. wink.gif

As for the rest - assuming you have two good tubes (it's a bit against probability that both would be bad) - you should be able to light the tubes.  One thing to look for in the Starving Student is that the MOSFET tabs are part of the circuit, so they must be properly insulated from the rest of the amp.  If not, they will be shorted.  Since the tube-heater circuit is connected to and used to bias the MOSFETs, that might be why you don't get the tubes to light.

Just a guess ...
alright thanks for your help! I'm gonna post a picture or two for you to look at because I kinda get what you're saying but I could use some more help...
post #6761 of 6815

 

 

 

post #6762 of 6815

I can't get anything from those pics about the MOSFETs.  They're obviously on the other side of the copper plate.  How are they attached?  What are the tabs connected to?  (Must be something.  Otherwise, they'd burn up.)

post #6763 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

I can't get anything from those pics about the MOSFETs.  They're obviously on the other side of the copper plate.  How are they attached?  What are the tabs connected to?  (Must be something.  Otherwise, they'd burn up.)
I used the heater kit that's listed in the BOM sheet and installed it correctly (I think)
post #6764 of 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorseNamedJeff View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

I can't get anything from those pics about the MOSFETs.  They're obviously on the other side of the copper plate.  How are they attached?  What are the tabs connected to?  (Must be something.  Otherwise, they'd burn up.)
I used the heater kit that's listed in the BOM sheet and installed it correctly (I think)


The "I think" part is what we're trying to confirm. ;)  Can you show us a pic of the MOSFETs?  Or, can you measure to see if there's resistance between the MOSFET tabs and the copper plate?

post #6765 of 6815

Here ya go. I'll try measuring right now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp