^Not in this thread. Vixr did make a CKK2 SS amp that utilized Plexiglas walls that doubled as headphone stand. Whoever owns it got a really great build.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need a reccomendation for a desktop amp. Last post on 12/22/12 at 3:30pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable vs. desktop amps Last post on 1/21/12 at 3:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Apogee Duet with custom break out cable Last post on 10/5/11 at 9:41am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp - Page 445post #6661 of 704910/8/13 at 12:31am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #6662 of 704910/10/13 at 4:46pmpost #6663 of 704910/11/13 at 9:50amQuote:
IF you are willing to build and sell thosepost #6664 of 704910/11/13 at 1:36pmQuote:
That's a fantastic build vixr! Congratulations! I can only imagine what the other people at your wokrplace thought when you brought it in! Which tubes did you use in your build?
cheers!post #6665 of 704910/11/13 at 4:17pmQuote:
The folks at work are used to my unusual amps, but this one got some curious looks...we are in a low static, clean lab, so visitors are pretty rare.
I am swapping between some NOS 12AU7 RCAs and some used 12AU7 Mullards I got from a British guy on ebay...the Mullards sound fabulous but the RCAs have a bit more gain...
Edited by vixr - 10/11/13 at 4:19pmpost #6666 of 704910/11/13 at 4:28pm
Thank you for the kind comment, it probably will be for sale in the future.post #6667 of 704910/11/13 at 7:06pm
Beautiful work as you've always done in the past, Vixr!! This one may have outdone all the others, though. It's a long way from a Millett Hybrid in a lunch box (which I thought was great)! Simply fantastic!!post #6668 of 704910/11/13 at 7:17pmQuote:
Thank you sir...post #6669 of 704910/12/13 at 6:33amQuote:
Oh dang I'd better start saving up now >.> so what are the power specs!post #6670 of 704911/17/13 at 8:00pm
Well friends, I'm a long time lurker of the forum, first time tinkerer, first time poster here.
I decided I was going to see if I could build a SSH amp and it turns out I cannot.
When I turn her on she makes a quick chirp and nothing else. No smoke or flaming balls of fire but also, no glow from the tubes, no sound.
Any diagnostic help you could provide would be much appreciated. I think I'm a little depressed about the whole thing and the time I've put into it so far.
Thanks!post #6671 of 704911/17/13 at 8:23pm
I built a MHSS in a similar aluminum enclosure...I found that the kapton film in the isolator kits was too thin and the back of the transistors was able to bite through it and short. The aluminum was just rough enough to have some high spots...remove the isolator film and see if they dont have holes in them. Although, I must say your enclosure looks a bit smoother than mine.
Edited by vixr - 11/17/13 at 8:27pmpost #6672 of 704911/17/13 at 8:41pm
Thanks for the speedy reply! I pulled the the isolator kits off and they seemed to look okay, I did a quick power on/off with them 'floating' and the result is the same as before. I probably should mention I am attempting to do the 12au7 with most of the equalizer mods.
One thing I don't understand is the middle mosfet pin AKA pin 3, is wired to the bridge of tube pins 4/5 AKA the heaters, which are then connected to ground, so doesnt that mean the mosfet is grounded?
It appears I had my 48v line from the on/off switch attached to the right most pin, not the center pin. I made the switch back and tossed in a tube to test things out. My c1 cap on one side Git extremely hot in the matter of a few seconds and my heater glowed way too brightly. The heater thing tells me I have too much voltage on the heater like but the hot cap I don't get.
Edited by jshaffe - 11/18/13 at 9:24pmpost #6673 of 704911/19/13 at 8:06am
After tinkering around with my multimeter, I was able to correct the ground short, but my voltages seem to be all different than what others have posted on this thread. Both channels of tube heaters glow brightly, and my C1 Cap heats up dangerously and quickly. (Not C6, just C1 so it is isolated to one channel) Does anyone have a clear photo of a PCB that might help me see where I have gone wrong? I think I may be misinterpreting some part of the wiring diagram.post #6674 of 704911/20/13 at 5:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by jshaffe
After tinkering around with my multimeter, I was able to correct the ground short, but my voltages seem to be all different than what others have posted on this thread. Both channels of tube heaters glow brightly, and my C1 Cap heats up dangerously and quickly. (Not C6, just C1 so it is isolated to one channel) Does anyone have a clear photo of a PCB that might help me see where I have gone wrong? I think I may be misinterpreting some part of the wiring diagram.
C1 is a decoupling capacitor for the power line. If we are talking about the same relative part numbers, it's tied to ground on one end and R13 and the power line on the other.
Please double check the voltage rating for that cap, as well as the voltage output of your power supply.
Cheers!post #6675 of 704911/20/13 at 5:58pm
With the power switch in the off position:
When I hit the switch:
Both tubes glowing very brightly. This is super wrong.
- Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › AKG's new K872? 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 4 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 7 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 7 minutes ago
- › "Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear