- 60 Posts. Joined 2/2013
- Location: Phoenix
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need a reccomendation for a desktop amp. Last post on 12/22/12 at 3:30pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable vs. desktop amps Last post on 1/21/12 at 3:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Apogee Duet with custom break out cable Last post on 10/5/11 at 9:41am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp - Page 429post #6421 of 70352/25/13 at 8:48amThanks equalizer. I figured that was the case. And thanks for your updated schematic! Without it this wouldn't have happened for me. Can read schematics fine, but designing/modifying is out of my league. Haha
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #6422 of 70352/25/13 at 8:51amQuote:
bought a Millet Max Hybrid in the FS forum [the Heat Sink on it is HUGE] it comes in today I'm super excited
it came with 3 pairs of tubes
rca clear tops n 5963 rca 12ua7s
Edited by Mshenay - 2/25/13 at 9:00ampost #6423 of 70352/25/13 at 11:10ampost #6424 of 70352/25/13 at 12:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Grumus
Very nice looking amp tdubl07! I am going for a similar design my self. Yes I will add a low and high gain switch as this thread suggests hissbuster and make it a high/off/low and use it for turning on and off while plugged in aswell
Thanks man, You will have a good time building this thing. My wiring is a mess, I'm actually embarassed it's so bad but it works perfect and you can't see it, so oh well. Maybe I'll redo it someday. It took me the entire day Saturday to build it, but that included drilling all the holes in my case as well which took some time. Also remember that the mosfets have to be insulated from ground. You can't ground the back of the mosfet out or it will blow, or so I've read. Thankfully I read that comment before I mounted mine. Good luck and have fun!post #6425 of 70352/26/13 at 9:31amI went searching the local shops for 19J6 tubes and picked up enough to share. I thought I post them in the sale/trade forum. Is there a minimum number of posts required to post there? I'm not seeing a reply box when I visit that forum.post #6426 of 70352/26/13 at 9:41am
You aren't really allowed to make any money over there. But, Tomb may be interested, if you got enough, he was talking about starting selling a full kit with boards and the old enclosure, if he found enough tubes.post #6427 of 70352/26/13 at 10:20ampost #6428 of 70352/26/13 at 10:32ampost #6429 of 70352/26/13 at 12:01pmQuote:
I mean, it's okay to make a few dollars on a deal here and there, I think - the real point is to prevent people turning head-fi into a business. I will admit, that there are some deals I've made where I made a couple of dollars and probably even more deals where I've lost a few. I've come pretty close to breaking even. I think if you were to make those tubes available at or near to what you paid for them, many would be appreciative, and few would balk. But, I could be mistaken.post #6430 of 70352/26/13 at 12:32pm
I got my Millext Hybrid in and it sounds nice! Although I'm sure EVERYONES sounds different since they are hand built and customized by each of u e.e still. I'm glad I bought onepost #6431 of 70352/26/13 at 1:31pmpost #6432 of 70352/26/13 at 5:32pm
Actually, I was going to say 100, but I thought I might be just able to support another run if we had 50. The original kits were based on lots of 30 kits. However, that means you need 60 PERFECT tubes. You can't sell someone a kit and then say, "too bad you got a bad one - there are no more tubes." The bad thing is with the 19J6 and its rarity now - about 1 in 5 tubes are bad right out of the box. So, you really need 72. Then there's the odd microphonic tube that doesn't show up in testing - you're up to 80-85, now, so with matching - you might as well make it 100.
Keep in mind that a PCB run of only 30 PCB's will be fairly expensive. The other parts are best bought at 100, too. So if we only get 30, that's going to drive the cost up even more. The original SSMH PCB kits sold for $120 with the machined case from Hammond, but we had at least 3 rounds of 30 kits if memory serves - maybe 4. Then again, the number of tubes I had to support that when we started was 400. There's the proof, unfortunately: a single run of 30 kits means about 100 tubes.
I still have about 2 dozen tubes - for the reason stated above. I had to be certain that everyone who bought a kit had a pair of good, working tubes. In my mind, that meant holding the extras for at least a year. It's been longer than that now, but that's why I still have them and haven't sold them.
Anyway, I thought we might think seriously about it if we found another 50 and I could add the ones I already had. That's the practicality of the situation.post #6433 of 70352/27/13 at 7:17amTom,
I am finding about the same reject ratio. I have discarded two shorted tubes and set aside another two with low readings on one section and i have more to go. i intend to test in circuit and listen to those with low readings in one side to see if they are usable. Given the circuit design, it wouldnt surprise me.
The Emerson branded seem to be the best for matching but in this application, with paralleled sections, I don't think that mismatching is a particular liability. Do you have an opinion on that?
Have you used MYRA for boards? I have some Maida boards that they did. They were very nice and crazy cheap.
I'm always looking for good SE and PP output transformers. I have quite a few of these and I'd trade with you if you have something interesting.post #6434 of 70352/27/13 at 9:55am
Hi again. I've almost finished my amp. I have one question. This is schematic that I'm using:
I noticed that pins 4 and 5 are unused. Is it ok to leave them like this or I should connect these pins to the ground?
Thanks.post #6435 of 70352/27/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
Those are pins for the diodes features in the 12SR7 tubes. The Millett Hybrid amp family (MAX, MiniMAX, MOSFET-MAX) uses tubes that have diode connections. We tie them to ground.
- Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★FAQ in 3rd post!★☆ 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Music to test your headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo3 Wireless - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 5 minutes ago
- › Cyberdrive Clarity Feather DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 6 minutes ago
- › New Pioneer XDP-300R - 2xES9018K2M, Balanced, Android 5.1. 2x... 6 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear