- 60 Posts. Joined 2/2013
- Location: Phoenix
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need a reccomendation for a desktop amp. Last post on 12/22/12 at 3:30pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable vs. desktop amps Last post on 1/21/12 at 3:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Apogee Duet with custom break out cable Last post on 10/5/11 at 9:41am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Weston W80 Review Disclaimer: The W80 was loaned to me by the local distributor www.samma3a.com - I have to return it, I have not received any incentive, financial or otherwise for this...
Meant to be married to the OL DAC, the O2 headphone amp matches it in shape, size and simplicity. What’s neat about the O2 is that JDS Labs allows for some simple customizations—you can choose...
Acknowledgment This review unit was provided to me in exchange for my honest opinion by Penon Audio. This review was originally published on audioprimate.blog. Introduction I’m a regular watcher...
I know a lot of people say a DAC is a DAC is a DAC, but I’m not one of them. A DAC’s chipset and its implementation, among other things, play a very real role in determining how it sounds....
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp - Page 429post #6421 of 70492/25/13 at 8:48amThanks equalizer. I figured that was the case. And thanks for your updated schematic! Without it this wouldn't have happened for me. Can read schematics fine, but designing/modifying is out of my league. Haha
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #6422 of 70492/25/13 at 8:51amQuote:
bought a Millet Max Hybrid in the FS forum [the Heat Sink on it is HUGE] it comes in today I'm super excited
it came with 3 pairs of tubes
rca clear tops n 5963 rca 12ua7s
Edited by Mshenay - 2/25/13 at 9:00ampost #6423 of 70492/25/13 at 11:10ampost #6424 of 70492/25/13 at 12:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Grumus
Very nice looking amp tdubl07! I am going for a similar design my self. Yes I will add a low and high gain switch as this thread suggests hissbuster and make it a high/off/low and use it for turning on and off while plugged in aswell
Thanks man, You will have a good time building this thing. My wiring is a mess, I'm actually embarassed it's so bad but it works perfect and you can't see it, so oh well. Maybe I'll redo it someday. It took me the entire day Saturday to build it, but that included drilling all the holes in my case as well which took some time. Also remember that the mosfets have to be insulated from ground. You can't ground the back of the mosfet out or it will blow, or so I've read. Thankfully I read that comment before I mounted mine. Good luck and have fun!post #6425 of 70492/26/13 at 9:31amI went searching the local shops for 19J6 tubes and picked up enough to share. I thought I post them in the sale/trade forum. Is there a minimum number of posts required to post there? I'm not seeing a reply box when I visit that forum.post #6426 of 70492/26/13 at 9:41am
You aren't really allowed to make any money over there. But, Tomb may be interested, if you got enough, he was talking about starting selling a full kit with boards and the old enclosure, if he found enough tubes.post #6427 of 70492/26/13 at 10:20ampost #6428 of 70492/26/13 at 10:32ampost #6429 of 70492/26/13 at 12:01pmQuote:
I mean, it's okay to make a few dollars on a deal here and there, I think - the real point is to prevent people turning head-fi into a business. I will admit, that there are some deals I've made where I made a couple of dollars and probably even more deals where I've lost a few. I've come pretty close to breaking even. I think if you were to make those tubes available at or near to what you paid for them, many would be appreciative, and few would balk. But, I could be mistaken.post #6430 of 70492/26/13 at 12:32pm
I got my Millext Hybrid in and it sounds nice! Although I'm sure EVERYONES sounds different since they are hand built and customized by each of u e.e still. I'm glad I bought onepost #6431 of 70492/26/13 at 1:31pmpost #6432 of 70492/26/13 at 5:32pm
Actually, I was going to say 100, but I thought I might be just able to support another run if we had 50. The original kits were based on lots of 30 kits. However, that means you need 60 PERFECT tubes. You can't sell someone a kit and then say, "too bad you got a bad one - there are no more tubes." The bad thing is with the 19J6 and its rarity now - about 1 in 5 tubes are bad right out of the box. So, you really need 72. Then there's the odd microphonic tube that doesn't show up in testing - you're up to 80-85, now, so with matching - you might as well make it 100.
Keep in mind that a PCB run of only 30 PCB's will be fairly expensive. The other parts are best bought at 100, too. So if we only get 30, that's going to drive the cost up even more. The original SSMH PCB kits sold for $120 with the machined case from Hammond, but we had at least 3 rounds of 30 kits if memory serves - maybe 4. Then again, the number of tubes I had to support that when we started was 400. There's the proof, unfortunately: a single run of 30 kits means about 100 tubes.
I still have about 2 dozen tubes - for the reason stated above. I had to be certain that everyone who bought a kit had a pair of good, working tubes. In my mind, that meant holding the extras for at least a year. It's been longer than that now, but that's why I still have them and haven't sold them.
Anyway, I thought we might think seriously about it if we found another 50 and I could add the ones I already had. That's the practicality of the situation.post #6433 of 70492/27/13 at 7:17amTom,
I am finding about the same reject ratio. I have discarded two shorted tubes and set aside another two with low readings on one section and i have more to go. i intend to test in circuit and listen to those with low readings in one side to see if they are usable. Given the circuit design, it wouldnt surprise me.
The Emerson branded seem to be the best for matching but in this application, with paralleled sections, I don't think that mismatching is a particular liability. Do you have an opinion on that?
Have you used MYRA for boards? I have some Maida boards that they did. They were very nice and crazy cheap.
I'm always looking for good SE and PP output transformers. I have quite a few of these and I'd trade with you if you have something interesting.post #6434 of 70492/27/13 at 9:55am
Hi again. I've almost finished my amp. I have one question. This is schematic that I'm using:
I noticed that pins 4 and 5 are unused. Is it ok to leave them like this or I should connect these pins to the ground?
Thanks.post #6435 of 70492/27/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
Those are pins for the diodes features in the 12SR7 tubes. The Millett Hybrid amp family (MAX, MiniMAX, MOSFET-MAX) uses tubes that have diode connections. We tie them to ground.
- Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › "Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers 29 seconds ago
- › Bose QC35 - NEW - Box Opened once 40 seconds ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 1 minute ago
- › How to grow? 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android... 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX200 Firmware Modification Project 3 minutes ago
- › SpinFit Eartips Thread - The cheapest audio upgrade 4 minutes ago
- › Alo Audio - The national 5 minutes ago
- › The Playstation 4 Pro is Out! 6 minutes ago
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear