or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI] - Page 50

post #736 of 1377
I agree with you monolith..but I have to confess... I was in that party of amping inappropriately. That was when I first started into head-fi and just wanted to see the effects. I didn't know much about anything back then, but eventually you learn.
post #737 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipelli View Post
I agree with you monolith..but I have to confess... I was in that party of amping inappropriately. That was when I first started into head-fi and just wanted to see the effects. I didn't know much about anything back then, but eventually you learn.
Well I understand that to a certain extent. I had a PA2V2 myself, but that was before reading anything on this site or generally anything about what the components did, and even then once I had it I realised they had little effect other than increasing volume for the headphones I had at the time.

I've found that amps are in most cases unnecessary in portable rigs. Unless you're hell bent on using hard to drive cans or squeezing the last 1% of performance out of something. I only carried an amp with me and used it for all my listening early on when I had my iPod Video > T2 > UM1 rig. After I got the better earphones, the amps only got used when I was sitting down somewhere for a while *and* paying attention to music (rather than listening to it in the background).

</diatribe>

post #738 of 1377
My portable amp will noticeably improve the quality of my ER-4P, especially using the P-to-S switch. But I'm finding it's not really worth lugging around. It's three times the thickness of the iPod itself...
post #739 of 1377
Yeah, after going "full circle" (iPod, then LOD + amp, then iMod + LOD + amp, now back to iPod only), it's just not worth it to me, weight or sonic quality. I'll leave the high sonics to my home rig, and let the iPod have the honors of being able to carry all by music on-the-go.
post #740 of 1377
I have a very small amplifier which I do think improves my SF5s, but like many other people I don't bother with it 3/4 of the time.
post #741 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith
I've found that amps are in most cases unnecessary in portable rigs. Unless you're hell bent on using hard to drive cans or squeezing the last 1% of performance out of something. I only carried an amp with me and used it for all my listening early on when I had my iPod Video > T2 > UM1 rig. After I got the better earphones, the amps only got used when I was sitting down somewhere for a while *and* paying attention to music (rather than listening to it in the background).

</diatribe>

I agree to a certain extent but in my recent experience, using an iPod Touch > LOD > PA2V2 > SR60s DRAMATICALLY increases the SQ. The SQ from the Touch HP into the SR60s is ok, just ok but with the LOD and amp, it's simply superb! So yes, I can see that some people carry amps etc just because it MAY give a certain kudos but in most cases, it really is to improve the listening experience!
post #742 of 1377
Quote:
I've found that amps are in most cases unnecessary in portable rigs. Unless you're hell bent on using hard to drive cans or squeezing the last 1% of performance out of something. I only carried an amp with me and used it for all my listening early on when I had my iPod Video > T2 > UM1 rig. After I got the better earphones, the amps only got used when I was sitting down somewhere for a while *and* paying attention to music (rather than listening to it in the background).
i totally disagree with everything you say until you get to your last line, the background verses paying attention.

When i'm working I listen to ipod and phones without the amp. But again, i'm not really paying attention to the music so the little things like vastly improved dynamic range and substantially better crosstalk isn't something i'm enjoying. Its portability at that point, and keeping the volume low enough to hear things around me, which is more important to me at that time than quality of sound.

BUT, there is a night and day difference in the sound when I add the amplifier to my rig and my livewires are pretty far from the 'hard to drive' side of life.

My rig is 5.5gen ipod, LOD, XIN, livewires: hardly high end audio components and when you say that my amp is only pushing that last 1% of performance from my ipod you are misleading, unsubstantiated and simply wrong.
post #743 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fidelity View Post
i totally disagree with everything you say until you get to your last line, the background verses paying attention.

When i'm working I listen to ipod and phones without the amp. But again, i'm not really paying attention to the music so the little things like vastly improved dynamic range and substantially better crosstalk isn't something i'm enjoying. Its portability at that point, and keeping the volume low enough to hear things around me, which is more important to me at that time than quality of sound.

BUT, there is a night and day difference in the sound when I add the amplifier to my rig and my livewires are pretty far from the 'hard to drive' side of life.

My rig is 5.5gen ipod, LOD, XIN, livewires: hardly high end audio components and when you say that my amp is only pushing that last 1% of performance from my ipod you are misleading, unsubstantiated and simply wrong.
x2! Totally agree. I also listen to music in exactly the same way. I am sat at my desk in work using my iPod touch > Yuin PK3 from HP out at a low volume. When I get home though...different story.
post #744 of 1377
My cheepo rig:


Nothing too fancy here.
post #745 of 1377
ok you have grados but i cant make out your other stuff as the pic is a bit dark....hope that doesn't come across as nasty
post #746 of 1377
Should be easy to see that iPod Touch
post #747 of 1377
whats under the touch though?
post #748 of 1377
PA2V2
post #749 of 1377
Sorry for the crappy pic.
SR-60 - Ipod Touch - PA2v2 (with the mini to mini that comes with it, lol)
post #750 of 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicsPao View Post
Sorry for the crappy pic.
SR-60 - Ipod Touch - PA2v2 (with the mini to mini that comes with it, lol)
You're amping the headphone out? Get a LOD and marvel at the improved SQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]