Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › New Laptop, Stick with PC or go Mac?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Laptop, Stick with PC or go Mac? - Page 2

post #16 of 56
if you want a powerful laptop, go PC, but you dont lol

i just think macs are overpriced, and with all the software i have, hating of itunes/love of wmp 11, id go pc with xp
post #17 of 56
Thread Starter 
I already have an HP Desktop, Quadcore, 3gigs ram, Dual screens, surroundsound speakers, you name it.

I now want something to be my home away from home. The only reason i feel like straying from PC is that when using windows I sometimes feel cluttered and messy. Its very distracting and takes away from my productivity.

This is what attracts me to Macs, they look simple and functional. Am i just a victim of Apple Advertisement?

What also intrigues me is that every mac user swears by it. Theres no Ive been using mac for 7 years until i found PC. Its always the other way around from what I see.

If i get a mac I will get Bootcamp and Vista anyway to keep myself covered anyway.
post #18 of 56
I have a Macbook, and I couldn't be happier with it. I use it as the source for my home A/V rig, playing CDs, iTunes and DVDs in full DTS surround sound. Great fun.

See ya
Steve
post #19 of 56
You know what they say...................Once you go Mac, you never go back.
post #20 of 56
PC. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to repair, support more readily available, more software available, and let's face it: When you look at their business practices, Apple rivals Sony for most evil corporation.
post #21 of 56
Yeah, it depends on the individual, but I've been on a Macbook Pro for a while now, and it is just a wonderful environment. Unless you have special requirements, I would pick OSX over Windows any day.

Of course, before the Mac, I was a big linux user. (Still am.) It used to be a hugely nerdy OS, but now with distributions like Ubuntu Linux, I swear your mom could use it. I'd HIGHLY recommend this OS for most folks. (Oh and of course it, along with most of its software, is 100% free and open source.)
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al4x View Post
if you want a powerful laptop, go PC, but you dont lol

i just think macs are overpriced, and with all the software i have, hating of itunes/love of wmp 11, id go pc with xp
I used to be bias towards pc until i spent some time on a MAC then borrowed
my friends for a couple of days that did it unless the job calls for windows
i very seldom fire up the dell xps.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post
...I was a big linux user. (Still am.) It used to be a hugely nerdy OS, but now with distributions like Ubuntu Linux, I swear your mom could use it. I'd HIGHLY recommend this OS for most folks. (Oh and of course it, along with most of its software, is 100% free and open source.)
Although I absolutely love Ubuntu (I have it on both my main laptop and my super-portable Asus EeePC and have never once regretted the switch from Windows), I'd have to be pretty cautious about my recommendation for it. If you need to use specific commercial software (Photoshop, AutoCAD, Matlab, etc.), Linux is most likely not the solution. Although very good free alternatives to most of this software are readily available for Linux, sometimes they don't quite stack up, especially for educational or commercial use. Also, if you would like to play video games on it, or if you have hardware that you'd like to use with it (including some mp3 players) again, Linux is most likely not the best option.

However, if all you really need is a word processor, internet, instant messaging, a media player, and other fairly common types of software, I would highly recommend giving it a shot. There's a ton of really high quality software available that is completely free, and is incredibly easy to install in Ubuntu. You can purchase computers from Dell that are preloaded with Ubuntu, (Dell Home & Home Office | Ubuntu) if you're not comfortable enough finding another computer and installing it yourself. Ubuntu, like all Linux distributions, is free. You can download it, burn it to a CD, and even boot the CD up to try it without actually having to install it, just to give it a try. You can also order free installation CDs, but have to wait a while for shipping.

Linux, by nature, is nearly completely immune to viruses and spyware, and also crashes far less than Windows. Everybody who I know who has given it a try really likes it, although for some of them it's not the best permanent solution.

If you're interested, there's plenty of great information about Linux and Ubuntu available on the internet. Check out these links for more info:
Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
Ubuntu Forums
Why Linux is better

I don't have any experience with Mac, so I wouldn't be able to give you any useful advice as far as that goes, but I will say this: I always feel that it's best to avoid Microsoft if at all possible.

Another interesting option if you're looking for a neat and portable laptop on a budget would be the Asus EeePC. You can get a pretty nice one for less than $400 USD. Wireless internet, 4GB hard drive, 512MB RAM (upgradeable to 2GB), 3 USB ports, SDHC card slot...the only downfalls are the small keyboard and lack of a CD/DVD optical drive. Check it out-->Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC 4G Surf - Galaxy Black Eee PC Intel processor 7" Wide VGA 512MB Memory 4GB HDD Integrated Graphics - Laptops / Notebooks

Good luck with your laptop search!
post #24 of 56
If you can afford the Mac (and comparatively equipped hardware and often forgotten software - and we're not talking bloatware/advertising, aren't much cheaper in laptop form) you really have nothing to lose.

Until recently I ran OS X, XP and Ubuntu on my MacBook.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozz View Post
I used to be bias towards pc until i spent some time on a MAC then borrowed
my friends for a couple of days that did it unless the job calls for windows
i very seldom fire up the dell xps.
really?

thats an expensive bit of kit to leave alone! (well mine is!)

i love the way i can use the laptop with 2 hdds because of removing the optical
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post
Yeah, it depends on the individual, but I've been on a Macbook Pro for a while now, and it is just a wonderful environment. Unless you have special requirements, I would pick OSX over Windows any day.

Of course, before the Mac, I was a big linux user. (Still am.) It used to be a hugely nerdy OS, but now with distributions like Ubuntu Linux, I swear your mom could use it. I'd HIGHLY recommend this OS for most folks. (Oh and of course it, along with most of its software, is 100% free and open source.)
Heh. We just got her an iMac for her birthday last month, but my mother ran Ubuntu for a few years beforehand. She was never sure where the power switch was (seriously), but Ubuntu was not a problem. It never crashed or did anything to freak her out.

To the OP, look at one of the refurb or educational discount MacBooks. You should be able to get one for $850 or less, which is comparable to PCs. Yes, some PCs are cheaper, but feature-for-feature they're very similar in price.

It's worth it for OS X, as well. It works. So does Linux, if that interests you. Windows is like an abusive relationship - it beats the hell out of you and then says it's your fault. Don't be a victim, run a real operating system. BSD is excellent, too.
post #27 of 56
I like mac laptops, have used them a lot in the past. Like you I like the simplicity and style. If you want them to surf the internet and take to the coffee shop or library thats cool... but thats about it. I know a lot of professional photographers that don't use a mac. In fact, most of the ones I know don't.

I have a windows PC. I have had it for almost 2 years now. I have never reloaded it, never had a virus, and the only time it has ever crashed is when I put new memory that wasn't fully compatible. Even then it only crashed a couple times before I pulled the old memory and it works perfect now. All I do is run mcaffee and dont do anything stupid as far as opening emails and downloads. I also download a lot of stuff. So as far as reliability, just take care of it and windows is fine.
post #28 of 56
Get the macbook, iTunes is bit perfect on mac, making hi-fi a lot simpler. Aside from that, Mac's have quality hardware. For example, Asus makes their motherboard, as opposed to Dell who has ECS make their motherboards.
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffles View Post
I like mac laptops, have used them a lot in the past. Like you I like the simplicity and style. If you want them to surf the internet and take to the coffee shop or library thats cool... but thats about it. I know a lot of professional photographers that don't use a mac. In fact, most of the ones I know don't.

I have a windows PC. I have had it for almost 2 years now. I have never reloaded it, never had a virus, and the only time it has ever crashed is when I put new memory that wasn't fully compatible. Even then it only crashed a couple times before I pulled the old memory and it works perfect now. All I do is run mcaffee and dont do anything stupid as far as opening emails and downloads. I also download a lot of stuff. So as far as reliability, just take care of it and windows is fine.
That has since changed with the introduction of the new Aperture 2 i know
of 2 photographers using it now with raw being fully supported.
post #30 of 56
Unless you need a Windows machine for some reason (and can't get by occasionally using Boot Camp or VMWare/Parallels), a Mac makes the most sense right now. There's a lot of interesting, high-quality productivity software for the Mac that's not being released on Windows, the overall system just performs better on equivalent hardware compared to Vista, and the little details are taken care of.

Most of us who use Macs now have used Windows for ages, so we're not just talking out of our rear by recommending it. It's a genuinely more polished system at this point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › New Laptop, Stick with PC or go Mac?