Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › MHDT Havana DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MHDT Havana DAC - Page 142

post #2116 of 2503

Vcap cutf installed for 15 mns (output), first impressions. Compared to Mundorf Silver/gold/oil I don't hear many differences in fact (what is quite surprising because s/g/o are burnt in for a long time). The global tonality is similar. The only real change is that bass are more controlled, it's a big weak of havana and I hear a nice improvement.

 

The rest is only impressions and can be placebo effect : may be trebles are slightly clearer and the sound very slightly fuller but I wouldn't stake my life on it. On last track of Summer - 4 seasons of Vivaldi (Carmignola version) in particular, which is a full ensemble and very fast track I have the impression the whole ensemble is better kept. More precise, not in the sense instruments are at their right place, but that the dac deals better with informations he receives (if you understand what I mean). This track can be a mess when not well controlled and i have the impression it's slightly better.

 

In fact for the moment I can't really highlight something special, except bass, but i have the slight impression the whole ensemble is a bit more homogeneous, better kept, precise. All this give a slight more natural sound. I must let it burn in now.


Edited by mako44 - 10/23/12 at 1:57pm
post #2117 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako44 View Post

Vcap cutf installed for 15 mns (output), first impressions. Compared to Mundorf Silver/gold/oil I don't hear many differences in fact (what is quite surprising because s/g/o are burnt in for a long time). The global tonality is similar. The only real change is that bass are more controlled, it's a big weak of havana and I hear a nice improvement.

 

The rest is only impressions and can be placebo effect : may be trebles are slightly clearer and the sound very slightly fuller but I wouldn't stake my life on it. On last track of Summer - 4 seasons of Vivaldi (Carmignola version) in particular, which is a full ensemble and very fast track I have the impression the whole ensemble is better kept. More precise, not in the sense instruments are at their right place, but that the dac deals better with informations he receives (if you understand what I mean). This track can be a mess when not well controlled and i have the impression it's slightly better.

 

In fact for the moment I can't really highlight something special, except bass, but i have the slight impression the whole ensemble is a bit more homogeneous, better kept, precise. All this give a slight more natural sound. I must let it burn in now.

 

CuTF will sound different after 250 - 300 hours and they will reach their full sound potential after 400-600 hours! The changes that occur after about 400 hours of burn are incredible. You will see..

Medium frequencies expressed on human voices are really beautiful and absolutely reliable in terms of realism & coherence (for me this means the feeling of disappearance headphones on my head!). Bass is already controlled and the higher frequencies extended and very refined. From this moment I feel like I want to listen to music without stopping. smile.gif


Edited by loserica - 10/24/12 at 8:03am
post #2118 of 2503

Vcap cutf are burnt in for 30 hours or so but they're already fantastic I understand why you love them. It's another dac blink.gif. Expensive but they worth their price, with them I listen to music and not a system anymore (well I tend to). Mundorf s/g/o sound very digital compared to them. Very nice silky textures, refinment, naturalness, openess, smooth rendering, definition. What a pleasure to hear tight bass at least. And this very enjoyable black background too.

 

I still hear some limits and a slight veil on sound but it can also come from my amp now. My note : 15/10...

post #2119 of 2503

I think CuTF sound pretty damn good out of the box, but now that mine are pretty much fully burned in I gotta say it gets way better!  The end result is very refined and truly exquisite.  You will see... smile.gif

post #2120 of 2503

I think I'm going to order a rcore and find somone to install it. Do you remember what it provides to the sound and if he also has defaults (brings bad things compared to stock one) ?

post #2121 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post

I think CuTF sound pretty damn good out of the box, but now that mine are pretty much fully burned in I gotta say it gets way better!  The end result is very refined and truly exquisite.  You will see... smile.gif


CuTF rules! biggrin.gif

post #2122 of 2503

Simply magical... I must say I also changed stock 0.1uf caps (nichikon i think) by Auricap Xo in the same time but their impact on sound must be very minor compared to cutf. For those who would be interested they're easy to install but just a bit large so I put them slightly upper than stock caps. Not ideal but as original auricap are discontinued now... No need to enlarge holes or solder thinner wires.

 

I put back C5 cap as cutf bring a lot of openess and ordered Rcore this evening, it will be next step. It's useless to say that the Euphya Junction Dac I tested this summer, and which is objectively very good musically, is far far behind Havana regarding all aspects.

post #2123 of 2503

I have a question for you guys.  I want to try the Duelund CAST Cu caps 0.47uF for output coupling to compare to CuTF, but these have radial leads so I would have to lay them sideways as if they have axial leads and bend one of the leads back along the body of the cap, so one lead would be considerably longer than the other.  Is there anything wrong with doing this?  I would insulate them to avoid a short, of course.

post #2124 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post

I have a question for you guys.  I want to try the Duelund CAST Cu caps 0.47uF for output coupling to compare to CuTF, but these have radial leads so I would have to lay them sideways as if they have axial leads and bend one of the leads back along the body of the cap, so one lead would be considerably longer than the other.  Is there anything wrong with doing this?  I would insulate them to avoid a short, of course.

 



Have you checked the dimensions?, Havana is compact, will they fit? Aswering to your question - leads should be as short as possible, but they are very good quality I suppose, this will not influence the sound when one is longer. Let us know the results, please.


Edited by robeeert1 - 10/26/12 at 8:34am
post #2125 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post

I have a question for you guys.  I want to try the Duelund CAST Cu caps 0.47uF for output coupling to compare to CuTF, but these have radial leads so I would have to lay them sideways as if they have axial leads and bend one of the leads back along the body of the cap, so one lead would be considerably longer than the other.  Is there anything wrong with doing this?  I would insulate them to avoid a short, of course.

Sounds awesome!  Let us know how it sounds!  From me looking online, the only cap that some people say is better than vcap CuTF is Duelund cast cu, so I'm very interested to see if that's true in this case.

post #2126 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post

 



Have you checked the dimensions?, Havana is compact, will they fit? Aswering to your question - leads should be as short as possible, but they are very good quality I suppose, this will not influence the sound when one is longer. Let us know the results, please.

 

Should fit.  They are a little longer, but a little skinnier as well.  May have to push aside a cap or two.

 

CuTF: 1.4" dia x 2.25" len

CAST: 1.33" dia x 2.48" len

 

I can only do this if I can sell my extra CuTF at a minimal loss.  Maybe I jumped the gun a little on that purchase rolleyes.gif

post #2127 of 2503

Well my previous order of Rcore has been canceled because not in stock, can you confirm this one is the good one (there are many references i don't want to order the wrong one :

 

30W R-Core Transformer for amp 9V*2 15V*2 230V/115v (220V/110V) DUAL 9V,DUAL 15V

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-R-Core-Transformer-amp-9V-2-15V-2-230V-115v-220V-110V-DUAL-9V-DUAL-15V-/221025279682?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3272064305374728756%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D320680108067%26

post #2128 of 2503

Mako44,

The transformer seems to be appropriate for the DAC.

post #2129 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako44 View Post

Well my previous order of Rcore has been canceled because not in stock, can you confirm this one is the good one (there are many references i don't want to order the wrong one :

 

30W R-Core Transformer for amp 9V*2 15V*2 230V/115v (220V/110V) DUAL 9V,DUAL 15V

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-R-Core-Transformer-amp-9V-2-15V-2-230V-115v-220V-110V-DUAL-9V-DUAL-15V-/221025279682?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3272064305374728756%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D320680108067%26

 

That looks right to me.  Do you need 230V or 115V?  I have an extra one that is 230V only.  I bought it by mistake because the picture had a 230V+115V.  PM me if this is the one you need and I'll give you a deal.

 

A note on installation: I noticed in photos or loserica and robert's units that the output wiring was 0V-(hot)-(hot)-0V in left to right order of the wires coming out of the transformer so I tried and tested this configuration first and sure enough that was it for me too.  You might want to try that first.  TEST BEFORE CONNECTING TO YOUR DAC!  Are you pretty clear on the procedure otherwise?

post #2130 of 2503

Thanks for your confirmation Robert. Sorry kimchee but I already have ordered it yersterday morning. Try to put an ad on head-fi or an electronics forum i'm sure it would interest someone else who do diy tweaks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › MHDT Havana DAC