Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › MHDT Havana DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MHDT Havana DAC - Page 139

post #2071 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post

 

Try Russian 6N3P (not DR version) to tame the DAC.

Does the DR version sound brighter?

post #2072 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post

Does the DR version sound brighter?


yes

post #2073 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post


yes

Any other tubes that could work, maybe NOS?

post #2074 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post

Any other tubes that could work, maybe NOS?

 

You say your DAC has screaming hights even with the stock tube, then my advice is to try Russian 6N3P.

The sweetest of the sweetest :)


Edited by robeeert1 - 10/10/12 at 9:52pm
post #2075 of 2503

I was asked for photos of the 0.01uF CuTF caps inside the Havana so I thought I'd share them in case anybody else would be interested.  Here they are...

 

 

 

 

post #2076 of 2503

Nice, they fit inside well. But your Clarity Cap takes a lot of place oo

 

By the way if it interests someone I put Clarity cap MR on C12 and on input but will switch them with Jupiter HT because I hear a slight lack of musicality, a kind of dryness sometimes (especially on highs). Works fine most of the time but the more I reduce Jitter with Jplay the more it's obvious (jplay can be a bit harsh on treble with some settings). I think Jupiter may be more kind on this aspect, I'll tell you.

post #2077 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post

I was asked for photos of the 0.01uF CuTF caps inside the Havana so I thought I'd share them in case anybody else would be interested.  Here they are...

 

Looks very nice, I wonder how they compare with silver micas. I'm also ordering .01uF of CuTF... biggrin.gif


Edited by robeeert1 - 10/11/12 at 10:25am
post #2078 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako44 View Post

Nice, they fit inside well. But your Clarity Cap takes a lot of place oo

 

By the way if it interests someone I put Clarity cap MR on C12 and on input but will switch them with Jupiter HT because I hear a slight lack of musicality, a kind of dryness sometimes (especially on highs). Works fine most of the time but the more I reduce Jitter with Jplay the more it's obvious (jplay can be a bit harsh on treble with some settings). I think Jupiter may be more kind on this aspect, I'll tell you.

 

Yeah, the Clarity cap actually fit just right with the stock Nichicon 470uF/16 to the left of it, but then I replaced it with the Elna and had to put it in that awkward position because it is much bigger.  If I had put in the Elna first I could raise the Clarity Cap and move it over to the right a bit on top of the MHDT cap, but now my leads are too short.

 

For me I think Jupiter would be too warm.  As it is I am looking more towards the direction of definition/incisiveness/transparency.  Last night I replaced the power supply caps with Elna Tonerex 3300uF/25V and swapped the RCA input for Vampire BNC.  These definitely added some more inner detail/definition and also airy highs and liquid midrange.  Bass seemed a bit wooly but I'm sure will get better with burn in time.

 

Tonight I put in the WBT silver RCAs -- I'm anxious to see what that brings to the table.  Then I just wait for the vintage Japanese K grade chips and 6 Auricaps I was able to find and I'm probably done!

post #2079 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post

 

You say your DAC has screaming hights even with the stock tube, then my advice is to try Russian 6N3P.

The sweetest of the sweetest :)

So not the DR or EV or E, just a plain vanilla 6N3P? Does anyone else have experience with this tube? The manufacturer's website seems not to think of them too highly.

post #2080 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post

So not the DR or EV or E, just a plain vanilla 6N3P? Does anyone else have experience with this tube? The manufacturer's website seems not to think of them too highly.

 

I never heard about that tube. I'm not sure you should look for the reason of your problem on havana dac but on something else in your setup because, even if havana is not perfect on trebles, it's usually not a problem with highs. It's more rolled off than accurate and harsh. Did you change something in it or is it the stock one ? May be this dac highlights a default your system aready had ?... Difficult to say as I don't know most of your products.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post

 

For me I think Jupiter would be too warm.  As it is I am looking more towards the direction of definition/incisiveness/transparency. 

 

I agree with you that's why I chose the Clarity Mr which are known for their fantastic transparency and focus on recordings atmospheres. I must say it works great except this slight lack of musicality/dryness (that I impute to clarity caps but may be it's not the case). You give me a doubt now i wouldn't loose too many details and atmosphere feelings. May be I should wait to install vcaps cutf and the rest before changing.

post #2081 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mink70 View Post

So not the DR or EV or E, just a plain vanilla 6N3P? Does anyone else have experience with this tube? The manufacturer's website seems not to think of them too highly.

 



Purchase all versions of Russian 6N3P (they're dirty cheap) and try them yourself. They are very warm and smóoth. I personally prefer crystal clear sound that's why I stay away from Russian tubes.

JWWE396a and bendix 6385 '50 are too smooth for me too.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee411 View Post

 

For me I think Jupiter would be too warm.  As it is I am looking more towards the direction of definition/incisiveness/transparency. 

 

I put different caps in the place of  0,22uF to decouple CS8414 chip. The clearest is Jupiter vintage tone, I tried it to replace many times (tested Mundorfs, FT3s, Wimas), but Jupiter always backs to its place. :)

I'll try CuTF in the future there, but I don't think CuTF will be improving on every place.

 

Elna Tonerex 3300uF 35V power supply caps are my favourite too.  So cheap can sound pretty damn goodwink.gif

post #2082 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post

 

I put different caps in the place of  0,22uF to decouple CS8414 chip. The clearest is Jupiter vintage tone, I tried it to replace many times (tested Mundorfs, FT3s, Wimas), but Jupiter always backs to its place. :)

I'll try CuTF in the future there, but I don't think CuTF will be improving on every place.

 

Elna Tonerex 3300uF 35V power supply caps are my favourite too.  So cheap can sound pretty damn goodwink.gif

 

 

Interesting, I didn't even know about this cap, but I just ordered one.  When I said Jupiter I was thinking of the HT beeswax caps.  I think I'm going to draw the line at spending $100-$130 to put a CuTF here, but let us know how it works out for you!  If it's a big improvement I may push that line back a little.

 

I think the Havana already sounds like a several $k DAC with the mods I've put in so I wouldn't balk too much at spending a couple hundred more.  At least that is what I keep telling myself!

post #2083 of 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post

 

I put different caps in the place of  0,22uF to decouple CS8414 chip. The clearest is Jupiter vintage tone, I tried it to replace many times (tested Mundorfs, FT3s, Wimas), but Jupiter always backs to its place. :)

I'll try CuTF in the future there, but I don't think CuTF will be improving on every place.

 

Right I was surprised how Jupiter HT are clear, quite airy. I wouldn't say they're warm in the sense bold or "tuby". I could say warm but more on a pleasant feeling with nice textures, however I listened to them very few so don't remember how they rank about spatiality, atmosphere and so on but they're very good caps. On my mind Clarity MR caps go a bit more far everywhere regarding opening (a bit more highs, very wide, incredible transparency...) but may be less musical ? My dac is taken down at now so I'll put the Jupiter HT to see. Everything's a question of compromise, but I note it's not easy to decide on what's the best setup as everytime there's new changes to make elsewhere on the dac so change the situation then.

post #2084 of 2503

I listened to Jupiter HT instead of Clarity Cap MR on C12 only during 1h30 : the change is "radical". Clarity MR is definitely more opened, clear and transparent and goes farer on extreme frequencies especially trebles :  with Jupiter HT they sound like shortened while Clarity MR is more sparkling on that point. With Clarity MR trebles come to titillate your ears, to break out sometimes in them like a buble of soda. With Jupiter HT listening is more "calm" and even intimist. Atmosphere is a bit less present on recordings as I expected and I'm sure some details are lost too (it's a bit smoothed), in fact Clarity MR goes always a bit farer on all these aspects to finally transcend realism during the listening.

 

The problem is that Jupiter HT is obviously more musical :). This dryness I heard sometimes has simply completely disapeard. And how silky and lovely textures are ! I forgot that but that's striking. With Jupiter voices are just... crazy. Listening to music I oftened said to myself "wow voices are so great on my setup" but jupiter still brings something more : silky textures, full body sound. It gives a warm & friendly sound : imagine a beautiful girl who comes to sing sofly in your ears, well no this is Jupiter HT. Sax are so sensual too....

 

Well it seems obvious that Clarity MR caps are more analytical and excel in details, opening or atmospheres (realism in general) and are better than Jupiter HT on this aspects so it can be interesting to put one or two on the right place (I still have 2 on input and will keep them) but Jupiter are for me more musical and just let the music flow. They're obviously very pleasant to listen to. I wouldn't put too many however as sound is more stuffy (besides that's the reason why i didn't keep it on c12 first and was seduced by Clarity MR).

 

So what about my dac now : starts to be really pleasant and it looks like I finally found the right balance/sound I was looking for :). However it's still too closed for me and I feel a lack of air & details. I'll receive vcap cutf soon for output and i still have to put WBT nextgen connectors so may be it will help. Didn't put rcore neither because don't know how to do but seems good for that according to what I read. To be continued so...


Edited by mako44 - 10/12/12 at 7:42am
post #2085 of 2503

Memo for myself : could be interesting to test 2 Jupiter HT on input and Clarity MR on C12 to see if it's more opened but still as pleasant and musical

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › MHDT Havana DAC