or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › MHDT Havana DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MHDT Havana DAC - Page 100

post #1486 of 2665

Havana reacts very easily to every change.


Edited by loserica - 2/17/14 at 9:14am
post #1487 of 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post



Waiting for your impressions, Havana reacts to this cap.


OK very promising  at the very beginning but it takes hours as you know. Anyway normally it is always getting better so let's see.

Cheers,

 

post #1488 of 2665

Dynobot,

I found the transformer meets the Havana specs. It's a superior R-Core type, it should be better than the stock toroid.

This one is appropriate dimentions, you should fit it with no problem.

I ordered that transformer and expect further sound improvement, even better dynamics, we'll see when it comes.

 

The other variant would be 2 or 3 separate transformers R-Cores or toroids. (much more powerful)

(I found them also), in this case the improvemnt of dymanics and bass control

should be obvious but it needs separate chassis due to dimentions.

 

 

The best trans. is C-Core type, Audio Note uses it in the highest DACs or preamps,

they are very hard to make and very expensive.

 

 

 

on the photo R-core type, also very good one. (will be trying this in two weeks time)

 

r-core1.pngr-core.png

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by robeeert1 - 11/6/11 at 8:11am
post #1489 of 2665

I see you changed your .22uf ranking. How is the FT3 as far as dynamics? ?  Is it as punchy as the Mundorf? I cant decide to go FT3 or Mundorf. 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelH2 View Post


Thanks, awesome.  By the way, I love the Mundorf silver/gold output caps. 
 



 



 

 


Edited by LionelH2 - 11/6/11 at 1:39pm
post #1490 of 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelH2 View Post

I see you changed your .22uf ranking. How is the FT3 as far as dynamics? ?  Is it as punchy as the Mundorf? I cant decide to go FT3 or Mundorf. 


 



 

 



Mundorf is more punchy then FT3. I'll probably stay with Jupiter. Personal preferences.

post #1491 of 2665


Thanks, that is what I suspected. Appreciate the help. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post





Mundorf is more punchy then FT3. I'll probably stay with Jupiter. Personal preferences.



 

 

post #1492 of 2665

This is my first post here. I have worked my way through most of this thread and believe I have a good plan for my Havana. I'm working on locating a PCM56P-K chip. I do have basic soldering skills and minimal experience with simple boards, but have never worked with a chip like this. So, newbie question - What is the best way to desolder the chip without damaging anything? What equipment (besides the soldering iron) would make things easier?

 

Also, I've taken the cover off the Havana, but how is the board removed? Just unscrew the bottom?

 

Thanks very much. Looking forward to getting to work. 

post #1493 of 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl View Post

This is my first post here. I have worked my way through most of this thread and believe I have a good plan for my Havana. I'm working on locating a PCM56P-K chip. I do have basic soldering skills and minimal experience with simple boards, but have never worked with a chip like this. So, newbie question - What is the best way to desolder the chip without damaging anything? What equipment (besides the soldering iron) would make things easier?

 

Also, I've taken the cover off the Havana, but how is the board removed? Just unscrew the bottom?

 

Thanks very much. Looking forward to getting to work. 



Chips PCM56P-L are in sockets, you do not need to desolder anything, just take them out with care.

To take the board out, unscrew the bottom, the front panel and the rca connectors on the back of the DAC.


Edited by robeeert1 - 11/7/11 at 5:18am
post #1494 of 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post



Chips PCM56P-L are in sockets, you do not need to desolder anything, just take them out with care.

To take the board out, unscrew the bottom, the front panel and the rca connectors on the back of the DAC.



Thanks. That's what I suspected for the board.

 

For the chips, I should have been more specific. I am referring to removing them from an old donor CD player. If all those pins are soldered in, do I need some type of solder sucker? I'm just not sure of the best way to proceed. Thanks for any input.

 

post #1495 of 2665

I got my Japan manufactured PCM56P-K on Ebay from this vendor.  Specify you only want Japan chips.  Huge difference over everything else out there.  I tried them all.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-BB-TI-DIP-PCM56P-PCM56PK-PCM56P-K-PCM56P-J-PCM56P-L-/250826335316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a666a2454



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl View Post

This is my first post here. I have worked my way through most of this thread and believe I have a good plan for my Havana. I'm working on locating a PCM56P-K chip. I do have basic soldering skills and minimal experience with simple boards, but have never worked with a chip like this. So, newbie question - What is the best way to desolder the chip without damaging anything? What equipment (besides the soldering iron) would make things easier?

 

Also, I've taken the cover off the Havana, but how is the board removed? Just unscrew the bottom?

 

Thanks very much. Looking forward to getting to work. 



 

post #1496 of 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelH2 View Post

I got my Japan manufactured PCM56P-K on Ebay from this vendor.  Specify you only want Japan chips.  Huge difference over everything else out there.  I tried them all.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IC-BB-TI-DIP-PCM56P-PCM56PK-PCM56P-K-PCM56P-J-PCM56P-L-/250826335316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a666a2454



 



 


Can you send a photo of the "K" grade chips from that seller?

 

post #1497 of 2665

I just today received a review sample of the newly released MHDT Stockholm DAC ...

 

So in a few weeks I should have a fairly extensive review done in comparison to the Havana...I'm doubtful that they will perform that much differently but I *am* curious as to how the higher bit depth/resolution capabilities of the Stockholm will sound.

 

If you haven't read about it yet, here's a link to the Stockholm info:

 

http://aloaudio.com/stockholm-dac-from-mhdt-labs.html

 

FYI.

 

Rock.

 

.j


Edited by s1rrah - 11/7/11 at 10:19am
post #1498 of 2665

For those interested in 470uF replacement, Elna silmic II RFS 35V is a genius cap there. (better than BG FK)

My mod is about to end, The Havana sounds perfect, when I first listened to that unmodded DAC,

the piano sounded horrible, now the piano sounds PERFECT,

fully holographic sound stage with a beautiful timbre.

Now you can count how many violins play in the orchestra.

 

The only transformer is left to be checked.

 

 

 

 


Edited by robeeert1 - 11/9/11 at 12:28pm
post #1499 of 2665

Which one is this?  Can I trouble you for a picture?  I think I am at the end of my mods as well. Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeert1 View Post

For those interested in 470uF replacement, Elna silmic II RFS 35V is a genius cap there. (better than BG FK)

My mod is about to end, The Havana sounds perfect, when I first listened to that unmodded DAC,

the piano sounded horrible, now the piano sounds PERFECT,

fully holographic sound stage with a beautiful timbre.

Now you can count how many violins play in the orchestra.

 

The only transformer is left to be checked.

 

 

 

 



 

post #1500 of 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelH2 View Post

Which one is this?  Can I trouble you for a picture?  I think I am at the end of my mods as well. Thanks!

 



 



470uFcap.JPG

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › MHDT Havana DAC