Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread - Page 591

post #8851 of 9073

Great review! I think I just might drop the bucks on this little guy :)

 

One more thing, can you use the amp while it is charging/plugged in to power?

post #8852 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBAKZ View Post
 

Great review! I think I just might drop the bucks on this little guy :)

 

One more thing, can you use the amp while it is charging/plugged in to power?


Yes it can.

Although it runs for an honest 80+ hours per charge. 

post #8853 of 9073
@KaBakz - I was THIS close to getting a BH2 as so many have reported a great synergy with the TF10, but opted for the Fiio E12, for a little more money IMO you get a lot more amp. More power (capacity to handle harder-to-drive cans, a big + for me), and better build quality (metal vs. plastic). Not to mention a subtle but (for me) essential bass boost switch, truly adds a texture and slam to the bass performance of the TF10's. 2 things I'd point out to you, 1st don't dismiss the E12 due to your experience with the E11, from everything I've read, they're 2 totally different amps, the 12 spanks the 11 in every way. 2nd you don't mention whether you're using an LOD. An LOD allows you to bypass the amp in the pod, IMO this is essential with whichever amp you decide on. Lastly, when your budget allows, if you decide to keep them you might want to consider an aftermarket cable. Whether you believe cables affect SQ or not (I definitely do), I believe in a pride-of-ownership factor, kinda like adding a snazzy set of rims and radials to yr car! I own a beautiful HPL cable made by Mr Ted (Headfood) and I'm a happy TF10iac!wink.gif
post #8854 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hijodelbrx View Post

@KaBakz - I was THIS close to getting a BH2 as so many have reported a great synergy with the TF10, but opted for the Fiio E12, for a little more money IMO you get a lot more amp. More power (capacity to handle harder-to-drive cans, a big + for me), and better build quality (metal vs. plastic). Not to mention a subtle but (for me) essential bass boost switch, truly adds a texture and slam to the bass performance of the TF10's. 2 things I'd point out to you, 1st don't dismiss the E12 due to your experience with the E11, from everything I've read, they're 2 totally different amps, the 12 spanks the 11 in every way. 2nd you don't mention whether you're using an LOD. An LOD allows you to bypass the amp in the pod, IMO this is essential with whichever amp you decide on. Lastly, when your budget allows, if you decide to keep them you might want to consider an aftermarket cable. Whether you believe cables affect SQ or not (I definitely do), I believe in a pride-of-ownership factor, kinda like adding a snazzy set of rims and radials to yr car! I own a beautiful HPL cable made by Mr Ted (Headfood) and I'm a happy TF10iac!wink.gif


Well, you mustn't of researched to hard. C&C BH's chassis is made out of metal for a start (not plastic).

Unless the member in questions preparing to drive full size headphones there's completely no need having that amount of power for TF10, total over kill. You're basically telling him to lug around an oversized amp with shorter run times that cost more. The convenience of C&C BH, is it's no bigger than the footprint of a credit card and runs for 80+ hours tucking neatly behind any DAP or phone. In all my time on these forums I haven't seen any members (besides yourself) recommend an E12 for the 32ohm TF10.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 3/13/14 at 2:20am
post #8855 of 9073
My bad! Thought I read it was made outta plastic! You sure schooled me alright. I'll slink outta here now as obviously your advice is the only advice that matters!wink.gif
post #8856 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


Well, you mustn't of researched to hard. C&C BH's chassis is made out of metal for a start (not plastic).

Unless the member in questions preparing to drive full size headphones there's completely no need having that amount of power for TF10, total over kill. You're basically telling him to lug around an oversized amp with shorter run times that cost more. The convenience of C&C BH, is it's no bigger than the footprint of a credit card and runs for 80+ hours tucking neatly behind any DAP or phone. In all my time on these forums I haven't seen any members (besides yourself) recommend an E12 for the 32ohm TF10.

 

The E12 gets glorious reviews from users of in-ears and heapdhones, it has power to drive a TF10 or future purchases, it is well built, it is backed by a big company and you know they will be there, looks totally slick, decently affordable...

 

Why would you dismiss the E12 when looking for a portable amp?

post #8857 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post
 

 

The E12 gets glorious reviews from users of in-ears and heapdhones, it has power to drive a TF10 or future purchases, it is well built, it is backed by a big company and you know they will be there, looks totally slick, decently affordable...

 

Why would you dismiss the E12 when looking for a portable amp?


Because it's large (particularly over sized) has low run times, and is not required for 32ohm TF10. If you read my post I explained exactly why I would dismiss it for this application.

Actually, let me ask you why you're asking me a question I already answered above?

post #8858 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


Because it's large (particularly over sized) has low run times, and is not required for 32ohm TF10. If you read my post I explained exactly why I would dismiss it for this application.

Actually, let me ask you why you're asking me a question I already answered above?

 

Because there are pro's and con's of the amp and you've only stated some! Some people would prefer a tiny amp like the pico while others would like a Talucent, just for IEMs! Heck I never need 80hrs of run time because I have a habit to charge all my gadgets each night!

 

And we aren't even talking to those who use an amp for a 32ohm TF10 vs those who use a clip zip for the TF10! Everyone has their preferences! If size/battery life/power was an issue, why bother with an amp, right? Because, people have different preferences!

 

Just gotta chime in because otherwise the facts you told would sound like the only facts! And I respect your opinion as well because they balance mine out.

 

And I use a FiiO X3 straight from the headphone out. Occasionally I add my TTVJ Slim to the mix but it depends.

post #8859 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post
 

 

Because there are pro's and con's of the amp and you've only stated some! Some people would prefer a tiny amp like the pico while others would like a Talucent, just for IEMs! Heck I never need 80hrs of run time because I have a habit to charge all my gadgets each night!

 

And we aren't even talking to those who use an amp for a 32ohm TF10 vs those who use a clip zip for the TF10! Everyone has their preferences! If size/battery life/power was an issue, why bother with an amp, right? Because, people have different preferences!

 

Just gotta chime in because otherwise the facts you told would sound like the only facts! And I respect your opinion as well because they balance mine out.

 

And I use a FiiO X3 straight from the headphone out. Occasionally I add my TTVJ Slim to the mix but it depends.


Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I  think E12 is total overkill for a TF10 application, regardless of the sound quality (which I still don't rate highly being FiiO  in general). Were not here in the Triple-fi 10 thread recommending a members "amp for potential full-size  headphone purchases" and I think that's where you're drifting off.

We were offering the member amp options that will work with his Triple-fi and suitable for portability, the amount of reviews I read about saying how cumbersome E12 is to lug around far out weight your little positive impression. I also think it's absolutely un-required an amp putting out so much power solely for a 32ohm Triple BA, you're basically wasting the amps full potential and probably not even able to sneak the volume pot a few hairs for adjustable volume levels.

 If you want a lug around something that size then sure, be my guest.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 3/13/14 at 9:09pm
post #8860 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I  think E12 is total overkill for a TF10 application, regardless of the sound quality (which I still don't rate highly being FiiO  in general). Were not here in the Triple-fi 10 thread recommending a members "amp for potential full-size  headphone purchases" and I think that's where you're drifting off.

We were offering the member amp options that will work with his Triple-fi and suitable for portability, the amount of reviews I read about saying how cumbersome E12 is to lug around far out weight your little positive impression. I also think it's absolutely un-required an amp putting out so much power solely for a 32ohm Triple BA, you're basically wasting the amps full potential and probably not even able to sneak the volume pot a few hairs for adjustable volume levels.

 If you want a lug around something that size then sure, be my guest.

 

Yea I'm not really suggesting someone or not suggesting something. I've got both some pro's and con's out, which is what I wanted to do, so I'm all good.

 

Have a nice day!

post #8861 of 9073

I'm gonna stick my head up outta my hole and weigh in here a bit.  I just upgraded from the BH, which I liked a lot for its sound, size and battery life, to the bigger JDS Labs C5 (with less battery life).  The C5 is just about the same thickness and width as the E12, but is more than a bit shorter in length.  It also costs about $80 more than the E12, and $100 more than the BH.  It is considerably more powerful than the BH, and I have really been enjoying that power as it relates to the sound I'm getting from my Colorfly C3 and TF10s.  And I use it (them) to listen to music (nearly) exclusively while walking.  I've never used the E12, so can't say how it would sound with the 10s.  And I'm not being pro or con re the current discussion.  I just wanted to say that, for me, moving up in power and size, and down in battery life, from the BH has made me happy.  And I really liked the BH.  I used mine daily for a year, very happily.  The BH is a lovely little amp.  I still have it and haven't decided whether to keep it or sell it.  

 

Going back in my hole now, gonna try to avoid the shrapnel.  :beyersmile: 

post #8862 of 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post
 

I'm gonna stick my head up outta my hole and weigh in here a bit.  I just upgraded from the BH, which I liked a lot for its sound, size and battery life, to the bigger JDS Labs C5 (with less battery life).  The C5 is just about the same thickness and width as the E12, but is more than a bit shorter in length.  It also costs about $80 more than the E12, and $100 more than the BH.  It is considerably more powerful than the BH, and I have really been enjoying that power as it relates to the sound I'm getting from my Colorfly C3 and TF10s.  And I use it (them) to listen to music (nearly) exclusively while walking.  I've never used the E12, so can't say how it would sound with the 10s.  And I'm not being pro or con re the current discussion.  I just wanted to say that, for me, moving up in power and size, and down in battery life, from the BH has made me happy.  And I really liked the BH.  I used mine daily for a year, very happily.  The BH is a lovely little amp.  I still have it and haven't decided whether to keep it or sell it.  

 

Going back in my hole now, gonna try to avoid the shrapnel.  :beyersmile: 



The problem is E12 puts out 880mW of power into 32ohms.

Your C5 puts out more around 43.66mW (32ohm load)

Two different beasts. C5 I would recommend without a problem to the member, though he only wants to spend $100.

I understand it was myself who recommend you move up from C&C BH to C5 and I'm terribly glad you're happy with it. :)

post #8863 of 9073

Ok so in the end, I went with the BH2, purely because of its portability, which is a huge need for me. 

 

Funny though, I was actually considering the E12 before I even read the threads here about it. I just got the one that was smaller, because the only full size headphones I have are VModa Crossfades (I pretty much only use IEMs, again because of portability.)

 

I respect all of your opinions and I honestly think that if I were to use my amp for anything more than IEMs then I would have definitely gone for the E12.

 

On another note (maybe not best suited for this page, but), I have been having issues with my DAP lately, usually I would go out of my iPod 5G, but I felt it needed amping for the triple fi's (subjective), but the rubber bands were getting in the way of the touch screen. Because of this I have been going out of my Sansa Clip+, which I feel sounds great, but its battery life is lacking and since it has no button lock option, I have a tendency to bump the buttons. I have been given the opportunity to maybe trade a guy some stuff for an iPod Classic, which seems good because of the storage capacity. Anyway, I am looking for advice for a DAP that would work well for the combination of the BH2 and TF10s. Should I go for the iPod Classic, or is there something that you guys in the audiophile community have found to sound better that is relatively small and has a way to lock the screen/buttons while still keeping them out of the way (not too intrusive/still usable) of the rubber bands?


Edited by KaBAKZ - 3/13/14 at 10:10pm
post #8864 of 9073

Colorfly C3.

 

And yes, I bought the C5 because of a very good recommendation, and continue to be very happy with it.  Only cons are a slightly bigger size and lower battery life.  but the sound makes up for it.  :o2smile:

post #8865 of 9073
I got rid of two older sansa players (e260 and fuze v1) and even ditched some other stuff to save for the upcoming Fiio x5 dap equipped with two 64gb microsdxc cards for budget or two 128gb for maximum aviable right now this would be a good idea overall
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread