Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread - Page 512

post #7666 of 9056

Ok, my TF10s have been sitting forlornly since the cables died. Any know of any cheap and durable replacements? I'm looking at the Fiio's but the Amazon reviews indicate a reliability even worse than the stock cables.

post #7667 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by yslee View Post

Ok, my TF10s have been sitting forlornly since the cables died. Any know of any cheap and durable replacements? I'm looking at the Fiio's but the Amazon reviews indicate a reliability even worse than the stock cables.

Dark Lord upgrade cable, many people use this one. I had one with my TF10, very good build, good sound!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-for-Ultimate-Ears-UE-TF10-5-/261125589494?pt=UK_Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM&hash=item3ccc4c49f6

Here's what it looks like on my old TF10

post #7668 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Dark Lord upgrade cable, many people use this one. I had one with my TF10, very good build, good sound!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-for-Ultimate-Ears-UE-TF10-5-/261125589494?pt=UK_Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM&hash=item3ccc4c49f6
Here's what it looks like on my old TF10


+1, great cables, improves the SQ as well as durable.

post #7669 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by yslee View Post

Ok, my TF10s have been sitting forlornly since the cables died. Any know of any cheap and durable replacements? I'm looking at the Fiio's but the Amazon reviews indicate a reliability even worse than the stock cables.


The older run of FiiO cables did have issues with the sheathing around the socket at the earpiece, haven't seen this issue in the newer batches.

post #7670 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme987 View Post


+1, great cables, improves the SQ as well as durable.

Agree, and a sensible price too.
post #7671 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


I thought it was $1.49 US Free shipping? I bought a pair yes still coming, I was only charged $1.49 to my understanding.

I'm located in the U.S as well and its charging me $1.00 shipping maybe they changed it?

 

Maybe you can re-link?

 

Thanks.


Edited by Inear - 11/25/12 at 4:02pm
post #7672 of 9056

This made me laugh out loud: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0019RBJOE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

 

The prices under "Featured Merchants" start out reasonable. Then increase. Then more. Then the last one on the list is $100,000. I can't begin to comprehend this.

 

Also I'm  considering buying TF10's this holiday season. I own Shure SE215's and love them but am starting to want an upgrade. I've read about some quality issues but for the most part are these as awesome as they generally sound?

post #7673 of 9056

They are definitely an upgrade to the SE215, but they are also very, very different. SE215 is a "warm and sweet" kind of IEM, its tonality is a bit warm with forward mids and emphasized bass; the TF10 are V-shaped, and rather bright with much more and better extended treble, as well as punchier, more extended bass The bass sometimes sounds shallower and less "full" than the SE215 because it is a BA based earphone and has a midbass hump, whereas the SE215 emphasizes the whole range of the bass spectrum until it rolls off (around 22 hz according to Shure's specs, but I would say closer to the 25-30 hz range), but I also think it goes deeper and shows better detail in lower bass. In general the TF10 is a noticeably more resolving, more detailed phone. The  midrange is brighter and clearer, but a bit glossy and not as forward and full as the SE215. The TF10 has a wider soundstage with better imaging and ability to contrast. I will say that the TF10 sounds a little hollow and is more revealing next to the SE215, which is a hinderance on some vocal tracks, especially the ones that aren't impeccable recordings; I prefer the SE215 for Amanda Palmer, Alanis Morissette, Bob Marley, Sublime...the TF10 has more midrange precision and detail, but it's also glossy and a bit recessed (though not horribly so), and detail isn't everything. I think the SE215 sounds more "real" on most vocal music.

 

The short answer: the TF10 is definitely an upgrade to the SE215 in terms of overall quality, but it is not a direct upgrade, because the overall sound is a very different one. If you want a triple driver monitor that is a more direct upgrade, try the UM3x. It's bass quantity is noticeably less than SE215, and close to TF10 but with less punch, and more body and decay. It has mids that are forward and just a bit warm, and similarly laid-back treble, also like the SE215. When I heard the UM3x, it was what I had expected the SM3 to be (although I like the SM3 for entirely different reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahZ View Post

This made me laugh out loud: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0019RBJOE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

 

The prices under "Featured Merchants" start out reasonable. Then increase. Then more. Then the last one on the list is $100,000. I can't begin to comprehend this.

 

Also I'm  considering buying TF10's this holiday season. I own Shure SE215's and love them but am starting to want an upgrade. I've read about some quality issues but for the most part are these as awesome as they generally sound?


Edited by Gilly87 - 11/26/12 at 7:10pm
post #7674 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

They are definitely an upgrade to the SE215, but they are also very, very different. SE215 is a "warm and sweet" kind of IEM, its tonality is a bit warm with forward mids and emphasized bass; the TF10 are V-shaped, and rather bright with much more and better extended treble, as well as punchier, more extended bass The bass sometimes sounds shallower and less "full" than the SE215 because it is a BA based earphone and has a midbass hump, whereas the SE215 emphasizes the whole range of the bass spectrum until it rolls off (around 22 hz according to Shure's specs, but I would say closer to the 25-30 hz range), but I also think it goes deeper and shows better detail in lower bass. In general the TF10 is a noticeably more resolving, more detailed phone. The  midrange is brighter and clearer, but a bit glossy and not as forward and full as the SE215. The TF10 has a wider soundstage with better imaging and ability to contrast. I will say that the TF10 sounds a little hollow and is more revealing next to the SE215, which is a hinderance on some vocal tracks, especially the ones that aren't impeccable recordings; I prefer the SE215 for Amanda Palmer, Alanis Morissette, Bob Marley, Sublime...the TF10 has more midrange precision and detail, but it's also glossy and a bit recessed (though not horribly so), and detail isn't everything. I think the SE215 sounds more "real" on most vocal music.

The short answer: the TF10 is definitely an upgrade to the SE215 in terms of overall quality, but it is not a direct upgrade, because the overall sound is a very different one. If you want a triple driver monitor that is a more direct upgrade, try the UM3x. It's bass quantity is noticeably less than SE215, and close to TF10 but with less punch, and more body and decay. It has mids that are forward and just a bit warm, and similarly laid-back treble, also like the SE215. When I heard the UM3x, it was what I had expected the SM3 to be (although I like the SM3 for entirely different reasons).

Two other things to mention, is that the TF10 can be a really troublesome fit in some peoples ears. It is the only IEM I have ever owned that has given me bother trying to get a good fit with it and I am not alone in this. Also if you listen to any music that is sub-bass heavy the TF10 is not a good choice as it simply cannot reach low enough.

Other than those additional observations, Gilly87 has the comparison well summed up. Personally, I enjoy my TF10 more than my SE215, but they are nothing like each other soundwise.
post #7675 of 9056
After using the TF10s for a week I decided I just found the bass overpowering. I just recieved my 2nd pair of IE8 as my first one broke a few months ago. I have forgoten how much I use to love the IE8 and that awesome soundstage just blows the TF10s away. I have decided not keep the TF10s and just going to sell it.
post #7676 of 9056

I've had my TF10's for about a year now.  I love the sound quality, and I've found them pretty comfortable with Comply tips.

 

However... the two-prong cord connectors are now somewhat loose where they go inside the shells.  If I just gently tug at the places where the cords connect with the shells, they pop right out.  (It was originally very, very difficult to separate the cord from the shells).

 

Would buying a new cord help?  Should I superglue the cord connectors into the shells? 

post #7677 of 9056
Super gluing the connectors to the shell is not recomended at all.it will ruin the fi10s for sure.i recommend that u use a plier to widen the two male connector prongs at least to a point where the male connectors can exert some pressure or friction on the female plug once plugged in.it may be a bit difficult to insert the connector in at 1st as the wider connector do not align with the holes but with some dexterity and slight adjustment u will be able to get it in.hope I'm making sense with what I'm trying to explain.if not u could try after market cables.im using Chris himself cables and it fits snugly compared to stock cables.they sound amazing too.smily_headphones1.gif
post #7678 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ince View Post

After using the TF10s for a week I decided I just found the bass overpowering. I just recieved my 2nd pair of IE8 as my first one broke a few months ago. I have forgoten how much I use to love the IE8 and that awesome soundstage just blows the TF10s away. I have decided not keep the TF10s and just going to sell it.

You find the bass overpowering on the TF10, yet you have gone back to the IE8, about which you previously said this "The bass is good (TF10) but not great as the GRO7 and not overpowering like the IE8's" ?
post #7679 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post

You find the bass overpowering on the TF10, yet you have gone back to the IE8, about which you previously said this "The bass is good (TF10) but not great as the GRO7 and not overpowering like the IE8's" ?

Well I was wrong. This could be that I use to listen to the IE8 with the bass knob set to 3. Back then I was more of a basshead where as in the past few months I have become less bass crazy and more soundstage and clarity.

When comparing the IE8 with the TF10s when I have both I find the TF10s to be too bass heavy compared to the IE8 which has a tunable bass knob and I set it to 0 with my Sony X-Series. Also note I did say, I had forgoten how great the IE8 sounded as it had been months it had broke down.
post #7680 of 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ince View Post


Well I was wrong. This could be that I use to listen to the IE8 with the bass knob set to 3. Back then I was more of a basshead where as in the past few months I have become less bass crazy and more soundstage and clarity.
When comparing the IE8 with the TF10s when I have both I find the TF10s to be too bass heavy compared to the IE8 which has a tunable bass knob and I set it to 0 with my Sony X-Series. Also note I did say, I had forgoten how great the IE8 sounded as it had been months it had broke down.

 

In my experience bass can vary hugely with the TF10 depending on how good a seal you get.. or even the tips used. If you find the bass to heavy try a tip size down or even complys, as the foam/sponge type material allows the iem to breath, reducing the level of the seal and therefore the bass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread