Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › What's the point of big fat thick high quality cables?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the point of big fat thick high quality cables? - Page 5

post #61 of 82
bigger = better

/thread. high gauge cables allow the sound to flow freely, so your are provided with a more dynamic sound with a higher gauge cable.
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderman View Post
bigger = better

/thread. high gauge cables allow the sound to flow freely, so your are provided with a more dynamic sound with a higher gauge cable.
But at what point is the cable big enough that there is no difference, or that other factors come into play?

Some companies make big honkin' heavy RCA's to make the current "flow freely", but Eichmann bullets use tiny connections to avoid eddy currents or something like that. One might be right, but both can't be right.......and the possiblity remains that both are wrong.

Think about the size of the traces on the PCB that lead to the connections to the RCA or XLR jacks.....virtually any interconnect is larger by orders of magnitude.

The concept of "flow" really needs to be put into perspective here.

Over 99% of the electrons in your IC's are the ones that were there when you bought them. It would take 48 years of running a 2V DC signal through a 1 meter, #22 AWG copper interconnect into a 22.1 kohm load (typical of many power or headamps) to replace the electrons originally in the conductor.....and that's a DC voltage. An audio signal is an AC voltage, so the effect is probably more akin to vibration than flow.
post #63 of 82
I've seen a few people mention "Bling" and I think that's most of it, weather people are willing to admit it or not. It seems to me that part audiophile pride is the artistic craftsmanship of the equipment. With the astronomical pricing of high end gear it's pretty safe to assume some people will spare no expense to get "the best"
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderman View Post
bigger = better

/thread. high gauge cables allow the sound to flow freely, so your are provided with a more dynamic sound with a higher gauge cable.
Reposted from page 5



post #65 of 82
anyone with ANY understanding of voodoo know that size matters with cables. I can d-bs cables at over 9000 resolutions
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Reposted from page 5



Are these the new solid gold wire cables?

I would imagine that anything over 26 gauge would be really expensive
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderman View Post
anyone with ANY understanding of voodoo know that size matters with cables. I can d-bs cables at over 9000 resolutions
post #68 of 82
About power cables... Wouldn't you need your own power plant, and rewire everything from the plant to your rig with optimum cables for this really to have any drastic effects? O.k. so then voltage is much higher most of the way so the efficiency loss is much lower, but there's quite some meters / kilometers between your nearest transformer and your rig that would have similar effects on your rig as the power cable ...? Or am I missing a point?
post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldwar View Post
About power cables... Wouldn't you need your own power plant, and rewire everything from the plant to your rig with optimum cables for this really to have any drastic effects? O.k. so then voltage is much higher most of the way so the efficiency loss is much lower, but there's quite some meters / kilometers between your nearest transformer and your rig that would have similar effects on your rig as the power cable ...? Or am I missing a point?
You're not missing the point, you just hit it square on the head. You also need to consider the miles of wire that are in the power transformer. I built my house and you would need to re-wire your house just for to equal a $1 computer power cable. As long as it doesn't restrict power, it's going to work well.

10 ga solid silver has only 0.944944945 less resistance per foot than copper and gold has 1.141141141 MORE resistance per foot than copper. Silver cables are smaller in gauge than the copper cousins so the resistance of copper is less in that case. Now where does gold cable fit in? It's much smaller gauge and therefore it's greater in resistance.

My signature says it all.
post #70 of 82
Cable's like this shouldnt suffer from the skin effect or eddy currents because it is made up of many small cables, right?

post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmorris View Post
Cable's like this shouldnt suffer from the skin effect or eddy currents because it is made up of many small cables, right?


Skin effect is only noticeable at freq far above the human hearing, not on the audio spectrum....


Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsalad View Post
You're not missing the point, you just hit it square on the head. You also need to consider the miles of wire that are in the power transformer. I built my house and you would need to re-wire your house just for to equal a $1 computer power cable. As long as it doesn't restrict power, it's going to work well.

10 ga solid silver has only 0.944944945 less resistance per foot than copper and gold has 1.141141141 MORE resistance per foot than copper. Silver cables are smaller in gauge than the copper cousins so the resistance of copper is less in that case. Now where does gold cable fit in? It's much smaller gauge and therefore it's greater in resistance.

My signature says it all.
You are missing the point completelly!!!!

We all know that, but they still insist, in making us beleive thay hear the differences. so go and figure?......
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldwar View Post
About power cables... Wouldn't you need your own power plant, and rewire everything from the plant to your rig with optimum cables for this really to have any drastic effects? O.k. so then voltage is much higher most of the way so the efficiency loss is much lower, but there's quite some meters / kilometers between your nearest transformer and your rig that would have similar effects on your rig as the power cable ...? Or am I missing a point?
Even if you rewire everything, the power is still being delivered as AC. The PSU would need to still convert it to DC. If anything, you should be upgrading a PSU over a power cord, but even then, PSUs are not difficult to design well.

It takes very little logic to see that a 4 foot power cable would have little effect. There is no evidence for any reason why a powercord would make a difference, so the most likely reason people hear a difference is the placebo effect.
post #73 of 82
What do people think of using cat5e for my interconnects. Does the way i braid it really make a difference? I'm only using runs of less than 3 feet.
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkovsky View Post
What do people think of using cat5e for my interconnects. Does the way i braid it really make a difference? I'm only using runs of less than 3 feet.
I have made several different braided IC's and I suggest Litz. Reason being it looks the coolest, you can use thin wire (looks cool if you multi color strands), and it all sounds the same (meaning I cannot tell any difference between the different braid styles).
post #75 of 82
This table appears to show that as diameter decreases, resistance rises.

American wire gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › What's the point of big fat thick high quality cables?