Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: The Predator, or How I Learned to Love the iPod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: The Predator, or How I Learned to Love the iPod - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Really nice and easy to read review, makes me want this RSA beast. Anyone who heard it with ATH ESW9?
post #17 of 34
great review
meens a lot because I am considering this amp .
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
I'm starting to want the Predator.. uh oh Is the amp stage similar in design to any of the other RSA portables?
would love to know the same thing. NEVER use my portables with a computer, but am intrigued by the reviews it's getting. So is the sound anything like anything else Ray's producing???
post #19 of 34
Yeah, I own a Tomahawk, and I'm curious to know how different the amp portion of the Predator sounds in comparison.
post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
I guess only Ray can answer if it is the same amp design.

In my experience I compared the Tomahawk to my PR II and preferred the sound of the PR II. It had a much bigger sound, bigger soundstage, clearer high end. In comparing the Predator to the PR II, the differences were not as great, with the Predator having some characteristics I liked better although soundstage was still wider with the PR II.

Judging from that I would say the amp section is not identical to the Tomahawk, but the sound signature is somewhat similar - punchy, upfront, detailed with awesome bass and good dynamics.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikzen View Post
I guess only Ray can answer if it is the same amp design.

In my experience I compared the Tomahawk to my PR II and preferred the sound of the PR II. It had a much bigger sound, bigger soundstage, clearer high end. In comparing the Predator to the PR II, the differences were not as great, with the Predator having some characteristics I liked better although soundstage was still wider with the PR II.

Judging from that I would say the amp section is not identical to the Tomahawk, but the sound signature is someone similar - punchy, upfront, detailed with awesome bass and good dynamics.
Sound sig similar to Tomahawk?? Now THAT'S interesting. Might mean that the Predator is close to the Hornet, then. Good to know While I'm interested in Predator, it's turning me off due to the huge time it takes for burn-in plus the fact I won't use it with a computer, which means I'm paying for circuitry I'll never use. But maybe someone else can chime in???
post #22 of 34
The burn in time is absolutely insane but the amp is incredible. I was never a big Tomahawk fan, not sure why. I loved the Hornet and still have one. I personally think the Predator is a better amp than either the Hornet or the Tomahawk by a wide margin. It very much retains the Ray Samuels house sound but does everything better. I keep thinking you'd have to spend a lot t out shine the Predator. I rarely use mine with the computer, so the DAC is more of a nice to have novelty but it rocks.
post #23 of 34
The Predator is a better amp than the Tomahawk by a wide margin. It has more weight and authority over the music, and is much smoother sounding, while the Tomahawk seemed brighter and thinner (with 800 hours on both, I sold the TH).
post #24 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
The Predator is a better amp than the Tomahawk by a wide margin. It has more weight and authority over the music, and is much smoother sounding, while the Tomahawk seemed brighter and thinner (with 800 hours on both, I sold the TH).
I totally agree. My comment was that Tomahawk and Predator have the same RSA "house sound" but that the Predator definitely sounds better.
post #25 of 34
Well, if the Predator's amp is that much better than the Tomahawk, I think I know what my next big audio purchase will be...
post #26 of 34
post #27 of 34
Nice review

I'm looking to buy a Predator or Hornet and this review has helped.

Still undecided though.
post #28 of 34
Thread Starter 
Sorry to kick my old dead thread but I wanted to say that I put my money where my post is. I sold off my portable and home amps and bought the Predator. I'm looking forward to the burn in journey and many hours of musical bliss.
post #29 of 34

 

 
Hello, 
I wanted to ask an opinion on the Predator. Let me know how the sound quality compared to the P-51 Mustang, and then excluding the DAC section.
Thanks
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTTORWALKMAN View Post

Hello, 
I wanted to ask an opinion on the Predator. Let me know how the sound quality compared to the P-51 Mustang, and then excluding the DAC section.
Thanks


The Predator needs a lot more hours to burn-in than the P-51 (like over 600 hours for mine).  It sounds warmer and more forward than the P-51 which is still warm but also more open and airy sounding as well.  The Predator has a little more body and fullness, and is better suited for brighter headphones than the P-51.  The P-51 seemed to have slightly better detail and a bit more transparency, and it became one of my favorite portables with my IEM.  Prior to the P-51 the Predator was one of my favorites, although not as neutral as the P-51.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: The Predator, or How I Learned to Love the iPod