Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › TNS Sweet-1 or Sweet-2 ? (looking for Zero DAC and Little Dot MK amps...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TNS Sweet-1 or Sweet-2 ? (looking for Zero DAC and Little Dot MK amps...) - Page 2

post #16 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basta View Post
Hi everybody,

Looking for the Zero DAC and Little Dot amplifiers on eBay, I fell upon these,

Sweet-2 Mini Tube Amplifier W/ Tube Rectifier & USB DAC - eBay (item 300203830968 end time Mar-09-08 13:51:35 PDT)
Sweet-1 Mini Tube Amplifier W/ iPod Slot & USB DAC - eBay (item 300204184232 end time Mar-10-08 17:44:02 PDT)

I understand it's more than a Zero DAC or LD amp... Maybe a blend of both... Maybe more... But, maybe not...

Does anybody know these things? Is TNS a good company? Can we have a first feeling just looking at these amps?

Thanks,

Bass
I can give some observations and impressions from those observations, that would be about it though. Nothing is known about these amps yet.

Looking at the eBay listings, the first thing I noticed was an abundance of plastic. Who knows how much this impacts the unit. They are not showing us internals or even the sides.

The second thing I noticed was a lack of "proving it is a quality product" statements or testimonials and the like. There is a whole lot of nothing being said in those adds. Have they nothing to say about it? Also, why do they need to ship them to Canada for final QC before selling? That seems odd to me.

The third thing I noticed, was how it is a "all in one" solution. This means "generally" that all aspects of the unit have been cut back to keep the entire unit's costs low. No one area is worse, but no one area is better either. I wouldn't want to buy it just because they gave me enough stuff and features to warrant the price they are asking.

The last thing I noticed was the warranty. Forget about the tubes and look at the unit's warranty. One year, and YOU pay shipping both ways to Canada for your unit to be fixed. I don't like that part at all.

Every time I look at one of these adds, I get a feeling in my gut that says, "Run away!", "It's too good to be true!" It is just my uninformed opinion, but I'm sure others are having the same feeling too.
post #17 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchum View Post
Looking at the eBay listings, the first thing I noticed was an abundance of plastic. Who knows how much this impacts the unit. They are not showing us internals or even the sides.
I've asked the seller a week ago for a picture from inside or user/technical documentation. I've got no answer yet.

I guess we'll have to wait for a go/nogo from Skylab.
post #18 of 104
Penchum, I know you are an LD fan, and your LD reviews have been terrific. But a couple things to point out:

1. There is no reason to believe these products aren't good
2. They LOOK good
3. Many of the things you said about these could be said about the LD products if one was just looking at EBay ads
4. Shipping from Canada is MUCH cheaper than from China.
5. If you get the mod to use the 6X4, these amps use tubes that have VERY abundant tube rolling options

The only difference here is that these are new, and no one has tried them yet. Well, I decided to bite. I could use a tube headphone amp/speaker amp/USB DAC combo. I am sending a money order for one tomorrow. I will let everyone know how they are.
post #19 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Penchum, I know you are an LD fan, and your LD reviews have been terrific. But a couple things to point out:

1. There is no reason to believe these products aren't good
2. They LOOK good
3. Many of the things you said about these could be said about the LD products if one was just looking at EBay ads
4. Shipping from Canada is MUCH cheaper than from China.
5. If you get the mod to use the 6X4, these amps use tubes that have VERY abundant tube rolling options

The only difference here is that these are new, and no one has tried them yet. Well, I decided to bite. I could use a tube headphone amp/speaker amp/USB DAC combo. I am sending a money order for one tomorrow. I will let everyone know how they are.
Skylab, I'm glad you like my reviews. Please read the entire post before getting in a "point this out" mood. Did you not see these:

"I can give some observations and impressions from those observations, that would be about it though. Nothing is known about these amps yet."

"It is just my uninformed opinion, but I'm sure others are having the same feeling too."

The OP asked this of anyone: "Can we have a first feeling just looking at these amps?"

So, that is what I gave. Disclaimers and all. Besides, where you see promise, I might see trouble, or visa versa. It goes with the territory.

I'm glad you are willing to take one for the team. I'm having a dry run of funds, so I don't have that flexability right now. Everyone will be interested to find out "what they are all about".
Have a good one!
post #20 of 104
Penchum, I read your entire post, and there is no need to be snitty. I was presenting an opposite point of view from your post. That is all. You are welcome to your uninformed opinion, and I am welcome to my uninformed opinion
post #21 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Penchum, I read your entire post, and there is no need to be snitty. I was presenting an opposite point of view from your post. That is all. You are welcome to your uninformed opinion, and I am welcome to my uninformed opinion
The last thing on my mind is to be "snitty" to anyone.
post #22 of 104
what is the main difference between sweet 1 and 2 except from the ipod input and two tubes in the front of the unit?
post #23 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal007 View Post
what is the main difference between sweet 1 and 2 except from the ipod input and two tubes in the front of the unit?
That I can tell, that's it - you get an iPod input on the 1, but the 2 uses tube rectification. That made the 2 an easy choice for me.
post #24 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
That I can tell, that's it - you get an iPod input on the 1, but the 2 uses tube rectification. That made the 2 an easy choice for me.
In the Tube FAQ for newbies (wich obviously I am), we can read this...

Quote:
Tube rectifiers are inefficient, expensive, have high output resistance, have large voltage drops across them, need separate heater circuitry, and in the case of some examples of recent make - are notoriously unreliable.

Taking the above into consideration, why are tube rectifiers still used?

Tube rectifiers have one clear advantage over silicon, and that advantage is so convincing as to win many converts - rise time. Rise time refers to the time needed for output voltage from the rectifier to rise from zero to operating levels when fully loaded. For tube rectifiers this is a gentle curve that extends over 5s or so. This greatly reduces inrush current generated by various capacitors down the line and potentially saves many a regulator.

For silicon rectifiers, the voltage rise line is a hard, almost vertical line (that has led to many a blown regulator for the author of this guide).

Many die-hard proponents of tube rectification claim that tube rectifiers `switch' more cleanly than their silicon counterparts, leading to less resonance within the power supply circuit. Mr. Morgan Jones, author of "Valve Amplifiers, 3rd Edition " debunks this, stating "the author's [M. Jones] experience is that both types of rectifier produce switching spikes and it is the smoothing/snubbing arrangements that are important."

Finally, there is another undeniable advantage - albeit a small one - that must be accorded to tube rectifiers: they certainly are much prettier to look at when compared to their silicon cousins.
Generally speaking, do you believe tube rectifiers are worth it and why?
post #25 of 104
The majority of the tube amps I own do not use tube rectifiers. But there are lots of people who swear they can be part of the real magic of a good tube amp. Pretty hard for me to say - never heard the same amp wired both ways

The 6X4 rectifier tube is used in the @ $1,000 WooAudio2. The company selling the Sweet2 is modifying the amp I am buying to use the 6X4. I have some nice NOS vintage 6X4's here, and so I'm looking forward to hearing how much effect they have on the sound.
post #26 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
The majority of the tube amps I own do not use tube rectifiers. But there are lots of people who swear they can be part of the real magic of a good tube amp. Pretty hard for me to say - never heard the same amp wired both ways

The 6X4 rectifier tube is used in the @ $1,000 WooAudio2. The company selling the Sweet2 is modifying the amp I am buying to use the 6X4. I have some nice NOS vintage 6X4's here, and so I'm looking forward to hearing how much effect they have on the sound.
Thank you Skylab. I again owe you a debt for your generosity to help others. I thought I would be leaving your great reviews behind me after leaving the portable amp threads.

EDIT: Gotta ask, how much was shipping?
post #27 of 104
you're the man Rob, this amp can handle bookshelf speakers too and its a major plus for me
post #28 of 104
Thanks guys. Shipping was $35. So $334 total. If it does indeed drive speakers decently (I will be using some B&W 601's, small but good bookshelf speakers), as well as headphones, it will be worth it. It has 2 analog inputs plus USB, which is exactly what I need in my office.
post #29 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Thanks guys. Shipping was $35. So $334 total. If it does indeed drive speakers decently (I will be using some B&W 601's, small but good bookshelf speakers), as well as headphones, it will be worth it. It has 2 analog inputs plus USB, which is exactly what I need in my office.
Skylab, could you take some pictures of the internals when you get it? I e-mailed the seller to ask, but they never got back to me. Also look forward to hearing a review, it would be great if im in uni halls again next year.
post #30 of 104
Sure, as long as it doesn't seem like too much of a hassle to take apart
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › TNS Sweet-1 or Sweet-2 ? (looking for Zero DAC and Little Dot MK amps...)