Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules! - Page 3

post #31 of 615
Does anyone also have a Pico that they can compare to the D2? Also, which is supposed to sound better, the D1 or the D2?
post #32 of 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
I agree with you that it doesn't matter, but I'm just wondering why there is static when it's plugged into the wall and the amp is off, but no static when I turn it on.
Ok you're right, when the USB is plugged and the amp is off, there is a LOT of noise heh.

I am trying to get my DAC to work, but no sound seems to come out.
post #33 of 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoold View Post
Ok you're right, when the USB is plugged and the amp is off, there is a LOT of noise heh.

I am trying to get my DAC to work, but no sound seems to come out.
I had to go in and disable my on board audio DAC and that forced my pc to send the audio to the D2
post #34 of 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz View Post
I had to go in and disable my on board audio DAC and that forced my pc to send the audio to the D2
I got it working. I just had to replug the input without the USB and then replug the USB while the amp was on.
post #35 of 615
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin17 View Post
Does anyone also have a Pico that they can compare to the D2? Also, which is supposed to sound better, the D1 or the D2?
Let's keep these types of questions to a minimum. There will be comparisons when people who have both listen to them. We don't need 50 million posts asking to compare the D2 to this or that.

So far the D2 has a very nice bass sound signature. I'm still trying to figure out how to open the case. Maybe I don't have the right tools, but it seems like a 1/64 hex should be able to open it. I took out one screw, but my screwdriver bit would just turn in the other screws without actually catching on to it. I don't think I need a bigger hex since the 5/64 hex is too big. If anyone who has it has any luck opening this thing to roll opamps let me know.
post #36 of 615
These are just some initial pre-burn-in (which I don't believe in much, heh) impressions:

These impressions were made with the DAC.

With HD580s, the D2 isn't that great. It doesn't sound any better than out of my Audigy 2ZS Hot-Rodded with LT1469, but at around 1 o'clock high gain, it is louder than my Audigy (but I don't listen at such a volume). Take my impressions with a grain of salt because I am picky about music and my hot-rodded Audigy is already a good source

Although I don't think the D2 is great with headphones, it is very good with my FreQs. The bass is full and powerful. The highs are great, and my FreQs don't sound as muffled. There is amazing imaging; it really sounds like the instruments are coming from a single point in 3D space with some songs.

That's all I have now. Maybe my opinions will change regarding the D2 and HD580. I usually only use my FreQs anyway, so it's not much of a deal.


*** I'll try to take pictures of the inside.

*** Unfortunately, my hex-key set doesn't have a key small enough for the D2

*** Lol, it is so bright with headphones and doesn't have much bass (and I'm not a basshead).
post #37 of 615
Got my viper, it came at 1230pm, stuff usually comes around 6-7 pm? anyway I think it sound great! out of box, I'll wait for some burn in for real impressions. OK one problem, Kind of a big one, I have an old beater laptop, Compaq Evo N610c by bro gave me, when I use the USB it clips, I used a newer Toshiba and everything was fine. I tried, was using WMP and then tries iTunes and it seemed to fix it but then it started again, I used MediaMonkey, itunes, WMP, and QuickPlayer from cd and from the C: drive, still the same, any suggestions OTHER THEN BUY A NEW COMPUTER? I know it's a piece, that's why I got a DAC w/my Viper.
post #38 of 615
The battle of the D's:



The D1 (not sure what opamps are in there) also suffers from having little bass with the HD580s. The D2 sounds cleaner and better with a larger soundstage. All I can really say for now. The differences between similar amps are difficult to objectify.

I think the D bass is perfect with IEMs like the FreQs.
post #39 of 615
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoold View Post
The battle of the D's:



The D1 (not sure what opamps are in there) also suffers from having little bass with the HD580s. The D2 sounds cleaner and better with a larger soundstage. All I can really say for now. The differences between similar amps are difficult to objectify.

I think the D bass is perfect with IEMs like the FreQs.
I actually found the D1 with my favorite opamp combo to be brighter and less clear than the D2. The D2 has VERY good bass/bass punch which I really enjoy compared to the D1 which was lacking it. It's also more liquidy sounding in the midrange IMO.
post #40 of 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
I actually found the D1 with my favorite opamp combo to be brighter and less clear than the D2. The D2 has VERY good bass/bass punch which I really enjoy compared to the D1 which was lacking it. It's also more liquidy sounding in the midrange IMO.
Are you using the HD580 with the D2? I feel like there's no bass. I tried watching LOTR:ROTK, and during scenes where I know there's suppose to be bass rumbling (when the eye is destroyed and starts crumbling), there is very little. When I use my FreQs, the bass for the scene is great. There is that rumbling impact like in the theaters.
post #41 of 615
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoold View Post
Are you using the HD580 with the D2? I feel like there's no bass. I tried watching LOTR:ROTK, and during scenes where I know there's suppose to be bass rumbling (when the eye is destroyed and starts crumbling), there is very little. When I use my FreQs, the bass for the scene is great. There is that rumbling impact like in the theaters.
Well personally that is part of the HD580's nature. It is a warm headphone, but it won't give you rumbling bass. My 780's actually give me that. I just watched some clips of LOTR: ROTK with the D2 and HFI-780. I never thought of the HD580 to ever give me a rumbling sensation.
post #42 of 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
Well personally that is part of the HD580's nature. It is a warm headphone, but it won't give you rumbling bass. My 780's actually give me that. I just watched some clips of LOTR: ROTK with the D2 and HFI-780. I never thought of the HD580 to ever give me a rumbling sensation.
You're right that the low bass is a characteristic of the HD580s, but I don't agree that it's a warm headphone Thanks

*** Oh geez, the D2 sounds so good with the FreQs

*** Oh geez, the bass is so nice and smooth with the FreQs
post #43 of 615

Charging via USB?

Thanks for your helpful comments, nice forum!
I just ordered one D2, hoping the shipping to Germany will work ...

As the website of iBasso does not provide too much information, does anybody know, if charging over USB is possible (like the Meier-Amp's can do)?

BR
post #44 of 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophil View Post
Thanks for your helpful comments, nice forum!
I just ordered one D2, hoping the shipping to Germany will work ...

As the website of iBasso does not provide too much information, does anybody know, if charging over USB is possible (like the Meier-Amp's can do)?

BR
No, the charging cannot be done over USB. The charging circuit is 12V and USB only provides 5.5V.

There is no word on how long the battery lasts yet.
post #45 of 615
I know we are trying to not ask comparison questions with other amps, but I want an impression with a K701. If someone has tried yet or do you think it has enough current to drive them decently? If you guys think it would do rather OK then I want to order one, if not I will continue my search.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!