Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › STAX 4070's are in the house..... (pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

STAX 4070's are in the house..... (pics) - Page 3

post #31 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
I really enjoyed them in the wee hours at the Mayberry on Acid meet, which I assume was the selling period for Mikey.
Pretty much, I have had them in the back of my mind for a while, ever since the international meet in SJ.

But sitting down with them at Voltrons, and listening to them for a while with my equipment really helped out. At least enough that I wanted to give them an extended home trial.

I am liking them more and more as I listen to them. When I pump up my WA5 with some tube rolling, and compare the L3000's with the 4070's, that is when I will make a long term call on which direction I will go.

Cheers,
post #32 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymad View Post
Pretty much, I have had them in the back of my mind for a while, ever since the international meet in SJ.

But sitting down with them at Voltrons, and listening to them for a while with my equipment really helped out. At least enough that I wanted to give them an extended home trial.

I am liking them more and more as I listen to them. When I pump up my WA5 with some tube rolling, and compare the L3000's with the 4070's, that is when I will make a long term call on which direction I will go.

Cheers,
Good idea! I think I'll compare the 4070 to the L3000 today and not bother reading more posts (and trying to respond sensibly) in the "Why all the cables haters?" thread. It gets so annoying after a while... let there be music in my ears and a smile on my face again! Thanks for reminding me what I'm here for! (But I first need to replace my cables with coat hangers, since they don't matter anyway.)
post #33 of 70
Thread Starter 
Cheers Wmcmanus....

Just be sure to get the right gauge hanger.... then enjoy....

Cheers,
post #34 of 70
bumping thread...

Mikeymad, could I ask your longer term impression of 4070, now that you've had them awhile? If you had to choose between your 4070 and OII? what kind of music do you listen to? thanks for any input.
post #35 of 70

O2 anytime - except if CLOSED" is important

Dear Colleagues,

Sorry for repeating some aspects - I admit, that I did not read the whole thread.

I've got both an O2 and a 4070, driven by the 007T-2 amp.
If sound isolation (=closed) is not mandatory, I always preferred the O2.

Whenever I needed "privacy" with the 4070, I thought of missing some of the music, which I was accustomed to from the O2.

Mind you – it’s still one of the best closed systems I know; and if you like electrostats, there is no other.

(….There is one other one – dynamic, however & closed - , which I rate higher – but no more comments, otherwise the flame throwing starts……)

Regards


Urs
post #36 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by urs View Post
Dear Colleagues,

...

(….There is one other one – dynamic, however & closed - , which I rate higher – but no more comments, otherwise the flame throwing starts……)

Regards


Urs
Do you mind hinting @ which dynamic headphones you're referencing? PM me if you prefer not to post it.

Thanks!
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmcmanus View Post
Good idea! I think I'll compare the 4070 to the L3000 today and not bother reading more posts (and trying to respond sensibly) in the "Why all the cables haters?" thread. It gets so annoying after a while... let there be music in my ears and a smile on my face again! Thanks for reminding me what I'm here for! (But I first need to replace my cables with coat hangers, since they don't matter anyway.)
Wayne/mikeymad - could you give a comparison between the L3000 and the 4070 (and say which amp you use with each?)

The main weakness of the L3000 is that it doesn't have a very definite treble compared to most other headphones I've tried.

It's also a relatively slow compared to the top tier.

However, I love listening to it because it's like a big duvet. Very comforting and actually quite transparent and resolving - more so than the W5000 (to me) for instance.

I think it's got an almost peerless tone.

So how does the 4070 rate against it?
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by urs View Post
I've got both an O2 and a 4070, driven by the 007T-2 amp.
If sound isolation (=closed) is not mandatory, I always preferred the O2.
Same for me.
I got an SR-007BL and a 4070, driven by an SRM-007t. For sheer sound quality I would most probably pick the SR-007BL every time. But the 4070 certainly have its pro's when it comes to sound isolation.

They are both stunning headphones!
post #39 of 70
The 4070 is a nice headphone but simply not in the same league as the 007. That's hardly surprising as it wasn't meant as a competitor but rather a monitor system for the Japanese TV industry. Just the fact that a closed electrostatic comes this close to the best open air model is something Stax can be very proud of as managing the backwave is a pain.
post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by urs View Post
(….There is one other one – dynamic, however & closed - , which I rate higher – but no more comments, otherwise the flame throwing starts……)
R10?
post #41 of 70
I wouldn't refute that if it was the R10.
post #42 of 70
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the bump team. I have been meaning to get back at this one, but I ahve been busy with the L3000 journey (which I am almost finished with).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Mikeymad, could I ask your longer term impression of 4070, now that you've had them awhile? If you had to choose between your 4070 and OII? what kind of music do you listen to? thanks for any input.
Cheers JimP,

Long term impressions are pretty easy, even better. I have become more use to their sound and all the things that I found at the beginning are still there (Detail, speed, presentation, some isolation).

If I had to choose, pretty easy again. O2, everytime. It is just a better phone.

I listen to everything. Rock, classic rock, classical, country, vocal, jazz, Etc.... And I listen to everything all the time.

Not sure if you are in the market, but they both come with high recommendations from me (if that means anything to anybody )


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fing View Post
Wayne/mikeymad - could you give a comparison between the L3000 and the 4070 (and say which amp you use with each?)

It's also a relatively slow compared to the top tier.

I think it's got an almost peerless tone.

So how does the 4070 rate against it?
When I went after the 4070's I had the thought in my mind being a closed ES that it would be more like a ES/Dynamic... It is not for me. And It really can't be. In the speaker world a dynamic is going to throw air at you, and the ES will vibrate the air, very different.

So I don't find the 4070's as a replacement for my L3000's at this point. They are a 'closed' ES, and that is how I treat them. Like was said above. When I want/need isolation and still want the STAX sound then 4070's are the way to go. The L3000's give me the Dynamic sound and Isolation (a little more than the 4070's)

The 4070's are very much a monitor (as they are branded). They are not a ultra-musical, throw a big soundstage phone. It allows me to see into the music, and the instruments like no other phone that I have heard. And I like them for that.

Oh, my L3000 Rig is the Woo WA5. I am in the process of getting final rectifier tubes (different thread) for it. And it will be my dynamic rig. And possible future Speaker amp as well. I have tried the Apache and RPX-100. But they just didn't have the 'sound' that I was looking for that I do get out of the WA5. Granted I have not balanced my L3000. But I was not making that leap without the SS amps beating the Woo SE, and they didn't for me.

I don't find them that slow, but the R10 will beat them for sure. I agree with the tone being wonderful. Pushed from the W300B they are a nice combo indeed.

Do I like the 4070's above the L3000's. No, I like the O2's over the L3000's. But I use all three for different things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
Same for me.
I got an SR-007BL and a 4070, driven by an SRM-007t. For sheer sound quality I would most probably pick the SR-007BL every time. But the 4070 certainly have its pro's when it comes to sound isolation.

They are both stunning headphones!
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
The 4070 is a nice headphone but simply not in the same league as the 007. That's hardly surprising as it wasn't meant as a competitor but rather a monitor system for the Japanese TV industry. Just the fact that a closed electrostatic comes this close to the best open air model is something Stax can be very proud of as managing the backwave is a pain.
Agreed, they did a great job with them.... and they are monitors.

Cheers,
post #43 of 70
Thanks for all your thoughts and impressions Mikeymad. Really helpful!
post #44 of 70
Thanks for the information mikey. Should be interesting to see how your various setups end up.
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcoheda View Post
R10?
Yes,

Urs

(driven by Jan Meiers Opera Corda - gets damn close to the O2, on some aspects, such as dynamics - especially on non-classical music)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › STAX 4070's are in the house..... (pics)