Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best sounding mp3 player?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best sounding mp3 player? - Page 6

post #76 of 92
I own the NW-HD5 as well and it easily beats (for me) the clip and the Iriver E10, which are both above par. But I rarely ever use it outside of my house since it's slightly heavy (and ugly) and it can't read Korean, which is odd.
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernado View Post
I'm afraid that statement is subjective too. Flat may be best for you, not for many others. I wouldn't want to listen to music on studio reference monitors for long either (or at least not recreational listening)
No matter what you like or don't like, I stand by that accuracy is the "best" thing. I for one enjoy studio monitors or whatever else gives me the most accurate to source sound.

opinion vs. measurements.
numbers aren't subjective.

I guess we may have to agree to disagree.
post #78 of 92
I've spent hours and hours listening to a zune, a d2, sony 738, and sansa fuze/clip. I mainly used my shure e530, sometimes senn. hd595 and no eq or sound enhancements. These I consider the top contenders for me. I already have an touch 2g which I think sounds awesome, just lacking some definition sometimes. Anyways, here are my thoughts, and know I am obsessive/compulsive for real. I beat a dead horse to death so to speak, if you know what I mean. So here is just one "nut's" list in order of SQ only.

1. Fuze/clip- at first I didn't like the presentation, but it has everything covered and has no major weakness. Great organic sound and great detail- definition and soundstage- smooth yet detailed and very musical.

2. ZUNE- this is one fine sounding dap, everything is present with no major weakness. The fuze/clip just sounds a little fuller (more 3d with my cans) but A+ none the less.

3. Sony S738- very musical and warm but with plenty of detail, but percussion can sound a little off and lacks somewhat in power. Not quite as neutral as 1 and 2 and slightly aggressive- which can be good sometimes- Or not so good, depending on the music. still an amazing dap.

*Tie- Ipod touch 2g- I like the sound very much! great highs, lows, mids and awesome detail and big soundstage. But when music gets complicated some stuff blends together (bad definition) unlike the others.

4. Cowon D2- great separation of instruments and powerful amp, good detail. Things can somewhat sound synthetic with this dap, like percussion and vocals, plus it lacks body and has a small soundstage. The bass is also not as good as the others IMHO.

Please keep in mind these are all great daps and I am splitting hairs here and it is very subjective/personal of course. Plus when you throw different cans into the mix, all my observations could go out the window and my order could change. Also these where all HO , no amp involved. And if I used eq, the order would definitely change.


So yes. fuze/clip is my favorite
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads View Post
So yes. fuze/clip is my favorite
first time I listened to a clip/fuze I thought that it sounded bad. I am convinced that I had been so used to bad sound, that good sounded bad. The fuze is really is my best sounding dap and I have a lot of daps such as ipod video, cowon d2, sony s639, and rio karma.
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads View Post
I've spent hours and hours listening to a zune, a d2, sony 738, and sansa fuze/clip. I mainly used my shure e530, sometimes senn. hd595 and no eq or sound enhancements. These I consider the top contenders for me. I already have an touch 2g which I think sounds awesome, just lacking some definition sometimes. Anyways, here are my thoughts, and know I am obsessive/compulsive for real. I beat a dead horse to death so to speak, if you know what I mean. So here is just one "nut's" list in order of SQ only.

1. Fuze/clip- at first I didn't like the presentation, but it has everything covered and has no major weakness. Great organic sound and great detail- definition and soundstage- smooth yet detailed and very musical.

2. ZUNE- this is one fine sounding dap, everything is present with no major weakness. The fuze/clip just sounds a little fuller (more 3d with my cans) but A+ none the less.

3. Sony S738- very musical and warm but with plenty of detail, but percussion can sound a little off and lacks somewhat in power. Not quite as neutral as 1 and 2 and slightly aggressive- which can be good sometimes- Or not so good, depending on the music. still an amazing dap.

*Tie- Ipod touch 2g- I like the sound very much! great highs, lows, mids and awesome detail and big soundstage. But when music gets complicated some stuff blends together (bad definition) unlike the others.

4. Cowon D2- great separation of instruments and powerful amp, good detail. Things can somewhat sound synthetic with this dap, like percussion and vocals, plus it lacks body and has a small soundstage. The bass is also not as good as the others IMHO.

Please keep in mind these are all great daps and I am splitting hairs here and it is very subjective/personal of course. Plus when you throw different cans into the mix, all my observations could go out the window and my order could change. Also these where all HO , no amp involved. And if I used eq, the order would definitely change.


So yes. fuze/clip is my favorite


Nice reviews, I am still on the fence about "upgrading" to the Cowon D2 but your review helps!
post #81 of 92
Quote:
first time I listened to a clip/fuze I thought that it sounded bad.
I completely agree. And part of me thinks that the amp needed some time to break in. I'm sure part of me is more used to the sound now, but I'm also pretty sure that it's a bit more open sounding now than it was when I first fired it up.
post #82 of 92
Can anyone of ya say something about the sound quality of the S639 or the Fuze in compariso n to the 1G Shuffle, which is ver very very good sounding device?
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy93 View Post
I completely agree. And part of me thinks that the amp needed some time to break in. I'm sure part of me is more used to the sound now, but I'm also pretty sure that it's a bit more open sounding now than it was when I first fired it up.
I agree with you. I do believe in burn in, specially headphone burn in after many many experiences. But I think this case was more of a mental burn in and the result of careful listening. One thing it is for sure, I can hear my fuze for hours and my satisfaction of the sq increases, but with other daps, they may sound great at first and then I grow more dissatisfied the more time I spend with them.
post #84 of 92
I have been reading a lot of praise about the Fuze in these forums and they seem to deliver the goods sound wise but having a look at photos people have posted the interface looks horrible.
If the ipod nano had better SQ and FM radio there would be no doubt in what to get. It is just a much more polished device.
post #85 of 92
The new iPod nano is in no way bad when it comes to SQ. Fuze probably tops it in SQ, but you probably wouldn't notice without very critical listening, and a high-end set of cans.
post #86 of 92
I am looking for a new mp3 player too. The most important for me is a good sound quality. i listen to all kind of rock primary (Emocore, hardcore etc). I will use th eplayer with the Westone 3. What playe rwould you recommend me? At the moment i use the meizu and i like it a much but i want something better now, if this is possible cause the meizu is already a very goodsounding one.
post #87 of 92
Have the iPhone just wondering should I buy a mp3 player or just get an amp
post #88 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

Have the iPhone just wondering should I buy a mp3 player or just get an amp

How important is sound quality to you?
What headphones do you use?
What listening conditions? Outdoors noisy/indoors quiet
How often do you use your phone during the day?
What is your budget?

It isn't a simple question and many factors may influence your choices.

I can tell you what I'd do.

Buy a dedicated MP3 player.
post #89 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

Have the iPhone just wondering should I buy a mp3 player or just get an amp


Which iPhone do you have?

post #90 of 92

3gs 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best sounding mp3 player?