Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Remote Desktop software?...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Remote Desktop software?...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey All,

I know there're quite a few of you out there that are quite adept with computers.. and I'm wondering, what's the best software for use with remote desktops? Right now, I'm using VNC.. but it's painfully sllloooowwwwww.. Is there anything that's more realtime than VNC?

It doesn't have to be free, but not too expensive, either.. I'm just using it to VNC from school to home and fix things on my server and home computers.. mainly XP Pro and 2000 boxes.. So the cross-platform benefits of VNC aren't very useful.

Also, security is a big thing, as this will be on 24/7. VNC's alright, but not the most secure.. and for some reason, my firewall doesn't want to filter VNC connections out.

Anyhow.. any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!
post #2 of 14
https://www.gotomypc.com/

Good stuff. I think they have a trial available.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
https://www.gotomypc.com/

Good stuff. I think they have a trial available.
Yeah.. they have a trial available.. but any ideas on ones that can be hosted directly on my systems, as opposed to going through a third party? Secure or not, I don't know if I'm thrilled with logging into a third party that then logs into my computers.. [This is how I'm understanding that it works..].. and I don't think it will work with private IPs..

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
post #4 of 14
It's secure. The brokerage I worked for used it to fix client desktop installations.
post #5 of 14
pc anywhere?
post #6 of 14
If the machine you want to ACCESS is win xp, you can use remote computing built into Win XP from any comp running Win 98 or later. Check out Win XP, it's somewhere in the start menu.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by grancasa
If the machine you want to ACCESS is win xp, you can use remote computing built into Win XP from any comp running Win 98 or later. Check out Win XP, it's somewhere in the start menu.
Does 2kpro have remote administrater?
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
While I know there are built in options in Windows XP, I don't believe they built anything into Windows 2000. My Windows XP boxes are behind a firewalled Windows 2000 box running ICS, so the Windows XP boxes can't be directly accessed from the outside world...

Keep'm coming
post #9 of 14
TightVNC is a VNC derivative with compression. Give that a whirl.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by neil
TightVNC is a VNC derivative with compression. Give that a whirl.
Yeah.. that's what I'm using... I'm not seeing a difference between the Best and Fast compression modes, other than the image quality degradation... Further, I find it odd that it's painfully slow over my LAN.. So I get to keep lookin'..

Thanks for the suggestion, though!
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by vwap
While I know there are built in options in Windows XP, I don't believe they built anything into Windows 2000. My Windows XP boxes are behind a firewalled Windows 2000 box running ICS, so the Windows XP boxes can't be directly accessed from the outside world...
Unless you set up a VPN that will then get you access to your XP boxes.
This is assuming that you have 2K server running.
post #12 of 14

Try using gosupportnow www.gosupportnow.com remote support service in order to remotely access computers from anywhere. It is easy to use and costs only $19.95 / month, next to free.
 

post #13 of 14

Just get Team Viewer and call it a day. Best remote desktop software I've ever used and the best part is that it's free.

 

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

post #14 of 14
You guys realize you are posting to a 10 year old thread, right? How the heck did you even find this thread??? I'm guessing Mr. Peterson works for go support now...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Remote Desktop software?...