Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Is it time to boycott cable companies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it time to boycott cable companies? - Page 5

post #61 of 411
spend whatever amount you are comfortable with. there are cables for every price range.
post #62 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
Boycott? I've never bought from them in the first place.

I prefer to DIY my own garden hose.
haha, this really made me laugh
post #63 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcoheda View Post
spend whatever amount you are comfortable with. there are cables for every price range.
Are you saying that people who spend a lot on cables wouldn't care if the prices were lowered?
post #64 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
Are you saying that people who spend a lot on cables wouldn't care if the prices were lowered?
This is a huge straw man. We're talking about a luxury good here. You could say the same thing about Coach and Channel but in the end without the accompanying price tag, it's not Coach or Channel.
post #65 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
This is a huge straw man. We're talking about a luxury good here. You could say the same thing about Coach and Channel but in the end without the accompanying price tag, it's not Coach or Channel.
I would argue that luxury is defined by its affects rather than its pricetag. A Nordost Odin power cable would still be a luxury item if it cost $50.
post #66 of 411
Whoops, I thought this was the 'boycott cable TV' thread. I think I best get some sleep soon.
post #67 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
I would argue that luxury is defined by its affects rather than its pricetag. A Nordost Odin power cable would still be a luxury item if it cost $50.
You misunderstand the meaning of the word luxury! By definition, luxury and price are inextricably linked.

If something is cheaper than it's competition, it is not a luxury item.

Semantics, but internationally accepted.
post #68 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
I would argue that luxury is defined by its affects rather than its pricetag. A Nordost Odin power cable would still be a luxury item if it cost $50.
Exclusivity has always been a large component of luxury. You're trying to fight human nature.
post #69 of 411
I agree that some companies charge a ridiculous premium for the sound their products deliver. Snake oil salespeople, some of them! There is no doubt that cables make a difference, but those prices cannot justify the amount of performance boost you'd get, no f-ing way.

There are a few that do this right. Empirical Design has great cables at very reasonable prices. One critic at Absolute Sound gave Empirical Design a Golden Ear Award b/c he's been A-B testing all the expensive cables that he'd review with Empirical Design products, and he always preferred the Empirical Design products over the interconnects costing many times more. I use their products & another good thing is that they custom make the interconnects/cables specific to your needs, too. Very hands on.
post #70 of 411
Quote:
...Except Blue Jeans doesn't make claims worthy of the next Nobel prize. Their marketing is no-nonsense and whether you can claim to hear it or not, the stated differences between their cables is scientifically sound (e.g. low capacitance interconnects)...
It takes little to convince cable skeptics as long as it comes over as «scientific» and they're not forced to judge it by own ears. In fact BJC is just exploiting a merketing niche: cables for cable skeptics -- that sound how a cable should sound: guaranteed absolutely neutral and non-audiophile.
.
post #71 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post
It takes little to convince cable skeptics as long as it comes over as «scientific» and they're not forced to judge it by own ears.
Please don't overgeneralize. There were a number of skeptics, including myself, who recognized the serious flaws in that particular study and spent a fair amount of time having a fairly civil discussion about how a similar test could be constructed to address those flaws and potentially provide meaningful results.
post #72 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post
It takes little to convince cable skeptics as long as it comes over as «scientific» and they're not forced to judge it by own ears. In fact BJC is just exploiting a merketing niche: cables for cable skeptics -- that sound how a cable should sound: guaranteed absolutely neutral and non-audiophile.
.
I fail to see where BJC ever talks about how their cables "sound."

I also fail to have read about any study that has ever concluded that different cables sound different from one another, not even if one is better than the other.
post #73 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlordXenu View Post
I fail to see where BJC ever talks about how their cables "sound."
Well, that's the trick! That's why they're the «good guys».
.
post #74 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post
Well, that's the trick! That's why they're the «good guys».
.
So not making false claims makes them have an ulterior motive?
post #75 of 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post
Well, that's the trick! That's why they're the «good guys».
.
This is the most bizarre logic I have encountered in a long time.

It's like saying professional nutritionists with a high rate of successful weight-loss treatment are tricksters in the same boat as late-nite TV infomercials that push no exercise/eat as much as you want diet pills.

--Chris
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Is it time to boycott cable companies?