New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Copper vs silver cables - Page 5  

post #61 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejarzo View Post
Then only one could possibly neutral--passing the input directly to the output--or they are all contributing coloration so some degree. To a lot of us, colored sound = defective sound.
I prefer flat response myself, and that's going to be the most lifelike and natural way to listen to music, but I don't see anything wrong with colored sound if someone wants to listen that way. However, coloring your system through random combinations of colored equipment is a terribly inefficient way to get the sound you want. It's best to start with stone flat equipment equalized for an acoustically balanced environment. That's the baseline where you start. Then you can add coloration with tone controls or EQ adjustments to your heart's content.

See ya
Steve
post #62 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
According to the article I read, yes. It also measured different in response. It was deliberately designed to not pass along the signal cleanly. It is possible to create a cable that sounds different. That isn't a good thing though.

See ya
Steve
You admit if it is possible to create a cable that sounds different. So, cables can and do sound differently. Thank you!
post #63 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover View Post
You admit if it is possible to create a cable that sounds different. So, cables can and do sound differently. Thank you!
It's certainly possible to build a defective cable that sounds bad compared to a properly constructed, non-defective cable.
post #64 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover View Post
You admit if it is possible to create a cable that sounds different. So, cables can and do sound differently. Thank you!
Yes. Defective cables sound different. Properly constructed cables all sound the same.

See ya
Steve
post #65 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Yes. Defective cables sound different. Properly constructed cables all sound the same.

See ya
Steve
Sigh.

Steve, you could have just said altered cables sound different. Defective implies that they did something wrong unintentionally. They altered them on purpose. I agree that there is no difference b/w standard copper/silver/gold cables terminated properly though. Each does have a flavor due to the different metals. However, gold to gold or silver to silver SHOULD sound exactly the same right?
post #66 of 245
Unshielded cables receiving RF interference sound different. Extremely long runs of cables sound different. Poorly manufactured cables that don't make a solid connection sound different. Cables that have been designed to deliberately hobble specific frequencies sound different.

Well designed and constructed silver cables and well designed and constructed copper cables sound exactly the same. Both metals are able to conduct electricity well enough to do the job. If you have a silver cable that sounds different from a copper cable, one or the other of them is defective.

I am saying the same thing over and over as clearly as I can. If you're perceiving me changing my point of view, you aren't understanding what I am trying to say. You can reword the question in a million different ways to try to get me to say that black is white, but that isn't what I'm saying.

See ya
Steve
post #67 of 245
Nope. I agree with you Steve. Was just trying to avoid the old argument.

Good point though. That is what I was trying to say.
post #68 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Unshielded cables receiving RF interference sound different. Extremely long runs of cables sound different. Poorly manufactured cables that don't make a solid connection sound different. Cables that have been designed to deliberately hobble specific frequencies sound different.

Well designed and constructed silver cables and well designed and constructed copper cables sound exactly the same. Both metals are able to conduct electricity well enough to do the job. If you have a silver cable that sounds different from a copper cable, one or the other of them is defective.
Shielding of (IC) cables in a headphone setup -- with a gain factor around 0.25 -- is dispensable. Renouncing it (resulting in lower capacitance) may even provide better sound, depending on system synergy.

The cables in my collection -- most of them homemade -- sound different from each other, although most of them aren't defective (the latter I don't use anymore). Also, the conductor material does make a difference, too, to my ears. So generalizing comments such as yours aren't adequate -- you should have stated that you couldn't hear a difference among the cables you've auditioned.
.
post #69 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspliff View Post
Nope. I agree with you Steve.
Sorry for the confusion! I see what you were saying now.

Thanks
Steve
post #70 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post
you should have stated that you couldn't hear a difference among the cables you've auditioned.
OK. In the hundreds of thousands of cables I have auditioned in the various studios I have worked with, I have never detected a difference between one non-defective cable and another. I've asked several of the engineers and fire crew members about it as well, and they had never auditioned a properly constructed cable that didn't sound exactly the same as every other one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post
The cables in my collection -- most of them homemade -- sound different from each other, although most of them aren't defective
Quote of the day!

See ya
Steve
post #71 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
OK. In the hundreds of thousands of cables I have auditioned in the various studios I have worked with, I have never detected a difference between one non-defective cable and another.
Working with cables and seriously comparing them with an open mind are different things.
.
post #72 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaZZ View Post
Working with cables and seriously comparing them with an open mind are different things.
.
Huh? That doesn't make sense. If cable construction or materials made a huge difference, that would be widely known within the pro audio world.

Those guys listen to live music more than almost any hobbyists, and it seems to me that too many here don't want to accept that fact.
post #73 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejarzo View Post
Huh? That doesn't make sense. If cable construction or materials made a huge difference, that would be widely known within the pro audio world.

Those guys listen to live music more than almost any hobbyists, and it seems to me that too many here don't want to accept that fact.
They may listen a lot to live music, but they don't occupy themselves with dedicated cable tests. That's where audiophiles have a clear advantage.
.
post #74 of 245
I think you're wrong in that regard.....think about classical recording engineers.

So you don't think that with their somewhat long runs from mics to mic pres, and likely more long runs from the mic pre to their remote recording gear, that they would take the time to be certain that they were using the best possible cable?

If the signal is screwed up at that point, it's screwed up forever.......and they certainly don't want that.
post #75 of 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejarzo View Post
If the signal is screwed up at that point, it's screwed up forever.......and they certainly don't want that.
But they also «know» that it doesn't screw up the signal, so they don't have to care and can renounce extensive and expensive evaluation tests.
.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked