Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing -- Post Them Here!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing -- Post Them Here!! - Page 51

post #751 of 1075

These pics make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Wish there was a way to post tube SMELL!

post #752 of 1075

What f/stop and shutter speed are you guys using?  Pitch black room?

 

 

DSC_2372.jpg

post #753 of 1075

Totally dark room helps. If you dim incandescent lights enough that you can see the tubes glowing well the color temperature from the bulbs gets kind of warm and ugly - by the time you correct for the ambient light you loose all of the color in the tubes! If you have LED lights your pretty much a pimp so feel free to ignore me. 

 

I follow a method something like this:

 

Totally dark room.

 

Use a LONG exposure on a tripod. Set F-stop to get good depth of field, and shutter speed so that the glowing heaters are well exposed. I snap a few pics without flash to set this part of the exposure. F8 & 10seconds @ISO100 sounds like a good starting point but please dont quote me unless Im right :p

 

After you have settled on an exposure time & F-stop hold a flash somewhere off to the side & above and trigger it manually to get the body of the amp and the shapes of the bottles. Experiment with different distances & locations from flash to amp to get a pleasant exposure & highlights here. Don't bother with leaving the flash on the camera - you will get results 1000 times better holding it off to the side and triggering it manually and thanks to the epic-long exposure time you can safely fire the flash manually. 

 

You can use a VERY cheap flash here, no need for anything really fancy if you don't happen to have a nice flash. 

 

It does take a bit of experimentation to get a nice pic, but once you do it a couple times it becomes easy as habit and the results are SO worth it. 


Edited by nikongod - 2/6/12 at 1:38pm
post #754 of 1075

Thx for the tips NG.  I still can't figure out how to fire my flash separate from the body, will have to look into it!!

post #755 of 1075

Great shot of you relaxing in the chair, a wee whiskey by your side. A perfect evening I think. (A reply that was supposed to be attached to post 44, RhythmDevils)


Edited by FullPuku - 2/11/12 at 8:14pm
post #756 of 1075

DSC_6102.jpg

 

Schiit Lyr

ƒ/8.0 — 71.0 sec — ISO 100 (to keep down the noise)


Edited by mikenike - 2/12/12 at 1:48am
post #757 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike View Post

DSC_6102.jpg

 

Schiit Lyr

ƒ/8.0 — 71.0 sec — ISO 100 (to keep down the noise)


very cool. wish i could take photos like that lol

 

post #758 of 1075

That was a GREAT explanation nikongod. Reminded me of chapter 7 "Artificial Light Photography" from Ansel Adam's "The Negative". I'll definitely try the technique soon.

 

cheers!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post

Totally dark room helps. If you dim incandescent lights enough that you can see the tubes glowing well the color temperature from the bulbs gets kind of warm and ugly - by the time you correct for the ambient light you loose all of the color in the tubes! If you have LED lights your pretty much a pimp so feel free to ignore me. 

 

I follow a method something like this:

 

Totally dark room.

 

Use a LONG exposure on a tripod. Set F-stop to get good depth of field, and shutter speed so that the glowing heaters are well exposed. I snap a few pics without flash to set this part of the exposure. F8 & 10seconds @ISO100 sounds like a good starting point but please dont quote me unless Im right :p

 

After you have settled on an exposure time & F-stop hold a flash somewhere off to the side & above and trigger it manually to get the body of the amp and the shapes of the bottles. Experiment with different distances & locations from flash to amp to get a pleasant exposure & highlights here. Don't bother with leaving the flash on the camera - you will get results 1000 times better holding it off to the side and triggering it manually and thanks to the epic-long exposure time you can safely fire the flash manually. 

 

You can use a VERY cheap flash here, no need for anything really fancy if you don't happen to have a nice flash. 

 

It does take a bit of experimentation to get a nice pic, but once you do it a couple times it becomes easy as habit and the results are SO worth it. 



 

post #759 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_equalizer View Post

That was a GREAT explanation nikongod. Reminded me of chapter 7 "Artificial Light Photography" from Ansel Adam's "The Negative". I'll definitely try the technique soon.

 

cheers!


 



 


 

One thing I'd like to add is to remember to turn off stabilization on your lens when using a tripod as that can cause some vibration while taking a long exposure. 
 

 

post #760 of 1075

GEDC0012.jpg GEDC0012.JPG

 

GEDC0007.jpg GEDC0007.JPG

 

GEDC0004.jpg GEDC0004.JPG

 

GEDC0005.jpg GEDC0005.JPG


Edited by Zombie_X - 3/5/12 at 7:22pm
post #761 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X 

 

GEDC0007.jpg GEDC0004.jpg 

 


Nice, nice, nice.

Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (And outside.)

Great shots! All of 'em.

 

post #762 of 1075

Thanks man! All my pictures were taken from a cheap $40 digital camera.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post


Nice, nice, nice.

Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (And outside.)

Great shots! All of 'em.

 



 

post #763 of 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

Thanks man! All my pictures were taken from a cheap $40 digital camera.

 

Great to know. I've had no success with a $200+ digital camera. Please tell, what is the make and model of your camera? Thanks!

post #764 of 1075

The camera is a GE A1251. Got it at RadioShack for $40 a while back.

post #765 of 1075

While not a headphone amp, here are the tubes on my Budda Superdrive 18 guitar amp.

 

tubular.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing -- Post Them Here!!