Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My 32GB Flash IPod Mini - Page 30

post #436 of 463

be VERY careful of the clickwheel ribbon cable.  I'm usually pretty good dealing with the insides of electronics... but the connector just snapped off the ribbon.  Now I got to wait for a 8 dollar replacement from china

post #437 of 463
Got one of the sd to cf adaptors to put a 128GBP sd card into my mini cause cf cards are insanely expensive here in Aus, and not many places ship those here.

Works fine capacity wise, but the transfer speed and battery life took a major hit. Dropped from about 20 hours to a bit over 6. And 15mb/s to 7. Looks like the adaptor is sucking way too much juice. Time to look for a cf card I reckon.
post #438 of 463
Double post
Edited by Uchuujin-san - 5/25/13 at 8:11pm
post #439 of 463

If you guys wouldn't mind me piling on to the number of subjects discussed in this thread regarding the Flash Mini iPod...

 
I performed the mod using a 1st gen 4GB iPod Mini.  I installed a 32GB card and I had no issues with the install.  Music plays fine and I get acceptable life from the battery.  
 
The only issue I noticed is that when the iPod goes into a deep hibernation the only way I can wake it up is by plugging it in to the dock connector for a second and then it's good to go.  Battery charge is still intact.  Previously, in it's factory state I was able to wake the iPod up with the combination of MENU + ENTER button.  Not so anymore.
 
Anyone else have this issue?
 
 
Thanks 
post #440 of 463

It should be "wakable" by holding MENU on it's own for a second or so, MENU+ENTER is used to restart which takes longer. Mine was a 2nd gen mini though so it might be different.

post #441 of 463

Correct.  I used Menu + Enter to do a full reboot but it stops during the reboot process.  In general though, when the iPod is in the deep sleep, as in it hasn't been used in a few days, I can't wake it up using any button combos.. MENU, MENU+ENTER.  None work.  Maybe I can try and reset the iPod and redo the firmware upgrade.  

 

Thanks for the tip though.

post #442 of 463

nice mod.

post #443 of 463

I just stumbled on this thread, looks like it's gone somewhat dormant, I'll revive it at least temporarily by detailing my iPod mini flash modification from 2013:

 

I used a CF -> SD adapter and Lexar Class 10 400x SDXC card, and also replaced the battery on this little iPod mini I bought used on eBay for $12 + shipping.

 

I use this unit when traveling lightest, or especially when excercising or doing anything else that involves some jostling/vibration that can harm the stock HDD iPods:

 

The now very quaint iPod mini, so 2004... unless you replace the HDD with a (Class 10) 128GB SDXC card. How 'ya like me now? Small form factor and Wolfson DAC make this model a great candidate for rescue from the scrap heap, for instance as an iPod to use while exercising where excessive bouncing, vibration/shock, and even a little sweat won't hurt it too bad. Short battery life means no marathon workouts.

post #444 of 463

Very nice!  Just a shame that the mini doesn't accept the 256 cards really :(

post #445 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
 

I just stumbled on this thread, looks like it's gone somewhat dormant, I'll revive it at least temporarily by detailing my iPod mini flash modification from 2013:

 

I used a CF -> SD adapter and Lexar Class 10 400x SDXC card, and also replaced the battery on this little iPod mini I bought used on eBay for $12 + shipping.

 

I use this unit when traveling lightest, or especially when excercising or doing anything else that involves some jostling/vibration that can harm the stock HDD iPods:

 

 

 

I really want to try this out.  I've had this ipod since 2005, still works fine.  I replaced battery a while back, but then it just sat for years.  Discovering rockbox gave me new options and brought it back to being something useful.  Now that I can play FLAC on it, I am limited by the 4G hard drive. 

post #446 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by my8950 View Post
 

 

I really want to try this out.  I've had this ipod since 2005, still works fine.  I replaced battery a while back, but then it just sat for years.  Discovering rockbox gave me new options and brought it back to being something useful.  Now that I can play FLAC on it, I am limited by the 4G hard drive. 


Give it a go, you can even use a CF card directly and skip the SD adapter if you want, although the CF cards are expensive in the higher capacities.

post #447 of 463

Ok, thanks for the reason on why to use SD card.

Is 128 the largest that will work with these older iPods? That has been tried anyways? 

post #448 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by my8950 View Post
 

Ok, thanks for the reason on why to use SD card.

Is 128 the largest that will work with these older iPods? That has been tried anyways? 


I don't remember seeing anyone try a 256GB SDXC in an iPod mini, the largest I ever tried was the pictured 128GB SDXC.

 

I've also used a Kingston 64GB CF card with good results in an iPod mini.

post #449 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
 


I don't remember seeing anyone try a 256GB SDXC in an iPod mini, the largest I ever tried was the pictured 128GB SDXC.

 

I've also used a Kingston 64GB CF card with good results in an iPod mini.


According to a comment at https://retrosonicfidelity.com/verge-256gb-retromod-minis/ at least one person has gotten it to work.

post #450 of 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruschme View Post
 


According to a comment at https://retrosonicfidelity.com/verge-256gb-retromod-minis/ at least one person has gotten it to work.


Interesting side note there however, the 12,000 track limit to the library size means you'd maybe need to use Rockbox to take real advantage of that storage.

 

In my case it would still work on stock firmware as I've got about 7,900 tracks in ALAC using abut 213GB, so I'd likely be ok even at full capacity with stock firmware.

 

Anyone using MP3, or even possibly ALAC too if you have tons of very short duration tracks rather than fewer longer pieces might hit up against that 12,000 track limit. But you use Rockbox anyway so this will not be a problem for you.


Edited by MikeyFresh - 12/4/14 at 7:06pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › My 32GB Flash IPod Mini