Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › My 32GB Flash IPod Mini
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My 32GB Flash IPod Mini - Page 15

post #211 of 444
Well thought things were going too smoothly. Installed the card ok, installed rockbox finally and eventually worked out how to copy music on to it. However no sound. So I start digging around in the menus and even read the manual all to no avail. So I make a post about it over on rockbox. One of them suggests checking that theres sound using the apple software. So I try that and there isn't (and I know works) and don't get sound out of that either. Also when I put the clicker to headphones theres nothing there either.

Going to crack the thing open tomorrow (can't be bothered tonight and I'd make another mistake). Anything I should be looking for or is it a case of making sure that everythings connected tightly? Guessing something happened when the top fell off it when I was resetting it into the case and didn't reseat it properly.

Any suggestions/comments gratefully recieved.

This is why I don't try these things very often. Hardly ever go right for me.

Cheers...

UPDATE

Well couldn't wait and reopened the thing up (funny thing was took less than ten minutes this time to do it!). Took off the top part and reseated, only thing I didn't touch was the battery. Put it back together turned it back on and still no sound. Made sure that both battery and the top part were firmly seated. So now I am stumped. My last resort is to unplug everything including the battery, leave it a couple of hours and reseat everything.

Damned annoying as everything else works perfectly. Looks like I'll be chucking the thing back on ebay as faulty/spares at this rate
post #212 of 444
well I finally received my new battery today. I waited almost 2 months to get a working iPod, finally get one that is cosmetically good, but the battery only lasts 20min (it was supposed to be new).

I only wish the replacement was a 2nd gen
post #213 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
Well thought things were going too smoothly. Installed the card ok, installed rockbox finally and eventually worked out how to copy music on to it. However no sound. So I start digging around in the menus and even read the manual all to no avail. So I make a post about it over on rockbox. One of them suggests checking that theres sound using the apple software. So I try that and there isn't (and I know works) and don't get sound out of that either. Also when I put the clicker to headphones theres nothing there either.

Going to crack the thing open tomorrow (can't be bothered tonight and I'd make another mistake). Anything I should be looking for or is it a case of making sure that everythings connected tightly? Guessing something happened when the top fell off it when I was resetting it into the case and didn't reseat it properly.

Any suggestions/comments gratefully recieved.

This is why I don't try these things very often. Hardly ever go right for me.

Cheers...

UPDATE

Well couldn't wait and reopened the thing up (funny thing was took less than ten minutes this time to do it!). Took off the top part and reseated, only thing I didn't touch was the battery. Put it back together turned it back on and still no sound. Made sure that both battery and the top part were firmly seated. So now I am stumped. My last resort is to unplug everything including the battery, leave it a couple of hours and reseat everything.

Damned annoying as everything else works perfectly. Looks like I'll be chucking the thing back on ebay as faulty/spares at this rate
Definately sounds like a problem with that little sub assembly board for the headphone connector/remote/hold switch. Look closely at the pins. Are any of them bent or missing? I've read people saying that connection is very fragile, but I have yet to have any trouble with it. Of course, I do take some precautions. If I'll have the Mini apart for awhile, I go ahead and remove that board and set it aside. I don't plug it back in until I'm ready to reassemble the device.

Editted: Thought of something else to add :P

You can buy that little board pretty cheaply on ebay. Only $5
iPod Mini 1ST 2ND Gen Headphone Audio Jack 4GB 6GB Part - eBay (item 130152165953 end time May-06-08 18:08:49 PDT)
I buy my plastics from this guy. He seems like a nice enough guy. I didn't get center buttons when I ordered my plastics, but he is sending them to me. I'm sure there are others selling this part, but I had this guy as a saved store on myebay.
post #214 of 444
so I think there might be something wrong w/ the ipod I have... the battery that was supposed to be new only lasted about half hour so I bought a new 850mah one off ebay, it hardly lasts at all and charging it now the iPod gets really warm.
post #215 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Definately sounds like a problem with that little sub assembly board for the headphone connector/remote/hold switch. Look closely at the pins. Are any of them bent or missing? I've read people saying that connection is very fragile, but I have yet to have any trouble with it. Of course, I do take some precautions. If I'll have the Mini apart for awhile, I go ahead and remove that board and set it aside. I don't plug it back in until I'm ready to reassemble the device.

Editted: Thought of something else to add :P

You can buy that little board pretty cheaply on ebay. Only $5
iPod Mini 1ST 2ND Gen Headphone Audio Jack 4GB 6GB Part - eBay (item 130152165953 end time May-06-08 18:08:49 PDT)
I buy my plastics from this guy. He seems like a nice enough guy. I didn't get center buttons when I ordered my plastics, but he is sending them to me. I'm sure there are others selling this part, but I had this guy as a saved store on myebay.
Cheers for the suggestion of ebay hadn't thought of that. Had the thing apart again tonight (I'm getting really good at that bit!) and had the battery disconnected for a good hour or so to wipe it. Put it back together again and still no sound. Still that little unit really did take quite a fall (which as I stated really surprised me as all the tutorials hadn't mentioned that little bit to watch out for), so it's quite possible that something got knocked/damaged when it happened.

Cheers again.
post #216 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
so I think there might be something wrong w/ the ipod I have... the battery that was supposed to be new only lasted about half hour so I bought a new 850mah one off ebay, it hardly lasts at all and charging it now the iPod gets really warm.
Are you charging by usb on the computer or a usb mains charger (not sure that that's going to make much difference mind)but just wondered if that could be the reason why.

Good luck.
post #217 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
Are you charging by usb on the computer or a usb mains charger (not sure that that's going to make much difference mind)but just wondered if that could be the reason why.

Good luck.
tried both :-/
post #218 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
so I think there might be something wrong w/ the ipod I have... the battery that was supposed to be new only lasted about half hour so I bought a new 850mah one off ebay, it hardly lasts at all and charging it now the iPod gets really warm.
If it's getting warm to the touch, that's bad. I would suggest trying to charge from a wall outlet instead of the USB form the computer. Do you have another cable to try? I also have a 30GB iPod Video. I have 2 ipod cables. The Video charges fine from both via the computer, but the Mini definitely doesn't like one of them (my wife rolled her desk chair into it while it was plugged into her PC). Took me awhile to figure out what was going on, but I did realize the Mini needed to be plugged into wall power to get it going. It seems I only have problems when the battery is really low.

But if yours is getting hot when plugged in, that's NOT good! If you have 2 batteries, does it get warm with both when plugged into the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
Cheers for the suggestion of ebay hadn't thought of that. Had the thing apart again tonight (I'm getting really good at that bit!) and had the battery disconnected for a good hour or so to wipe it. Put it back together again and still no sound. Still that little unit really did take quite a fall (which as I stated really surprised me as all the tutorials hadn't mentioned that little bit to watch out for), so it's quite possible that something got knocked/damaged when it happened.

Cheers again.
Did you inspect that connector for any damage? You said it took a good fall, but that sub board has very little mass, so it shouldn't have hit very hard.

I'll be DIYmodding one of my Minis this week, and hopefully this weekend I will have the first MiniMod totally finished. I'll post pics when It's complete, including some showing the work in progress
post #219 of 444
Yeah, actually it seems to be fine when I plug it into the wall. I think it'll work out. a fully charged battery says it will last 5-6 hours, but I haven't depleted it yet so it probably doesn't have much to go off of yet.
post #220 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
Yeah, actually it seems to be fine when I plug it into the wall. I think it'll work out. a fully charged battery says it will last 5-6 hours, but I haven't depleted it yet so it probably doesn't have much to go off of yet.
Let it sit on wall power charging overnight and it should be fully charged. Those time left estimations seem to get more accurate over time. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it keeps some sort of log to calculate with. Or maybe the battery just levels out a bit. I seem to recall seeing a graph of lithium battery life and there was a short initial drop, then it leveled out for a long time. Maybe they have a higher initial voltage and it throws everything off.

Edit: I just realized I'm using a WPS without the battery remaining esitmate on my Mini. I'll look for a WPS that shows battery time and see if it is accurate on mine. I use it on my Video and it seems fairly accurate. But only about 10 hours on a charge playing FLACs
I love this Mini's 20+ hour battery
post #221 of 444
Update. Well I finally received the replacement board today so opened up the mini and swopped it over (not as easy as it sounds as I had to unscrew the metal bracket that holds it and kept dropping the tiny (smaller than the top two screws on the mini!). Lost two of them but managed to get a firm grip with the remaining two and put it back in. Reconnected everything, fired her up (still works!) and guess what? Yep no sound. So I'm a little p**ed right now. Tried restoring using itunes and resyncing and thats not helped either. One last throw of the dice that I can think of is to reconnect the hard drive restore with that, then put the compact flash card back on. Can't see how that would make much difference myself but thats all that I can think of to do. Thats a task for the weekend as I've had enough of the thing now tbh. If that doesn't work then I'll probably shove the whole kit (mini and card)back on ebay as faulty

Cheers...
post #222 of 444
I am just curious but, my friend is planning to get a new mp3 player and I think she is at least considering a Mini mod, yet she has no modding experience and is not tech savy. I have no modding experience but at least have the tools where taking apart a mini and putting in a CF card would be fairly easy.

Anyway long story short, she asked a friend today if she had her old mini and tomorrow I am getting a broken mini, supposedly the click wheel is pushed in and it won't turn on, I don't know if it really is broken or not, though if that is really the only issue then taking it apart should make it possible to test, yet I would also like to try my hand at putting in a CF card but only have a 32 MB card here, so I was wondering if the firmware or anything takes up space on the CF card and if a 32 MB card is enough to just test functionality. Also, though I figure I can ask how broken the mini is tomorrow, I was wondering, what do you guys think the odds are that it really is damaged outside of repair?

p.s. What 850 mAh battery or higher capacity would be recommended for purchase? even if this mini doesn't work I intend to try my hand with another friend's mini over the summer when she replaces it for a new mp3 player.
post #223 of 444
Update

RESULT! Finally got the thing working WITH sound! Apparantly when I was fitting the new headphone assembly I'd flipped the metal bracket round so it still wasnt connecting properly. Tonight I figure kill or cure (I was THIS close to shoving the whole thing back on ebay and forgetting about it). Flipped the bracket over, immediatley felt the difference as I was putting it back together (before the assembly felt a little loose and the battery wouldn't fit snugly). Put it back together and hey presto.

Next step is to put rockbox on the thing (at least I know THAT works ).

Cheers.
post #224 of 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
Update

RESULT! Finally got the thing working WITH sound! Apparantly when I was fitting the new headphone assembly I'd flipped the metal bracket round so it still wasnt connecting properly. Tonight I figure kill or cure (I was THIS close to shoving the whole thing back on ebay and forgetting about it). Flipped the bracket over, immediatley felt the difference as I was putting it back together (before the assembly felt a little loose and the battery wouldn't fit snugly). Put it back together and hey presto.

Next step is to put rockbox on the thing (at least I know THAT works ).

Cheers.
grats David!

If you need that bootloader, PM me and I'll email it to you.

I'm loving mine. When I hike (everyday with the dogs), I don't worry about bouncing my iPod Video's hard drive to death. I even run parts of the trail now (the downhills of course hehe).
post #225 of 444
The 16GB A-Data card and replacement battery finally got here. I reassembled the iPod, restored the firmware, loaded rockbox, uploaded my entire music folder (about 13 gigs, 4900 songs or thereabouts, ogg q1 VBR format) and initialized the database (which took about half an hour).

Now every time I switch it on the little disk icon in the upper right comes on and stays there for more than an hour, and the interface is so slow I could go get something from the fridge in the time it takes from selecting the song(s) to it starting playback... and no, this isn't an exaggeration. We're talking 20, maybe 30 seconds here. It's also very slow in pausing and resuming, and in switching songs.

Occasionally it works correctly, but if I switch song, album or add more music or something there's a high chance that it'll go back to sloth-land.

Obviously something isn't right. The question is what, and how do I get it working correctly?

Thanks.

PS The Mini is 1st gen, if it helps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › My 32GB Flash IPod Mini