Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier - Page 5

post #61 of 735
Has the manufacturer got an official website ?

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #62 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio-Omega View Post
Has the manufacturer got an official website ?
Sure! Here ya go: Logon

post #63 of 735
I sneaked out of work at 10 to 5, made it to the PO at 1/4 past 5, and had the MKV connected up by 1/2 past 5. So that's 30 Jan - collected from Little Tube and left China, 05 Feb arrived in UK, 06 Feb attempted delivery and waiting for me at local village post office.
Not bad service!
The package got through customs and excise without me being charged extra for import duty, which I estimate would have added another $60 - which is nice!

Now the start of a review:
The unit is pretty big, sat next to my Slee phono stage - but then it does have power transformers inside rather than an offboard psu. I'd already got the wires waiting for its arrival, so was a simple case of connecting it up.

Full system is:
SimAudio Moon Nova cd player -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference -> Cyrus Pre X -> tape out -> Black Rhodium interconnect -> Little Dot MKV.
All 3 components (cd player, pre amp, headphone amp) are powered from an Isotek Minisub mains conditioner.
Headphones are Sennheiser HD580's (100% stock) and I use an extension cable made from Neutrik plugs and van damme cable.

The unit is well constructed, looks good, solid connectors, positive volume control, decent switches, the leds are quite bright but that's all. The volume control range is such that 9 o'clock is loud, so I settled on somewhere between 8 and 9 as being a good comfortable volume (I'll confirm the exact marking later). Selecting input 2 I could still hear input 1, but for my purposes, input 2 is likely to remain unused, so this is not an issue.

So how did it sound?
Last week I put another 100 hours on the 'phones in preparation, as I'm not sure how often I've used them in the past.

Straight from the box and cold, it was perfectly acceptable. I listened to 2 recent purchases, the recent Jeff Buckley "best of" and Cowboy Junkies "Trinity revisited". There was already decent bass extension, decent attack on drums, good stereo imaging.

I'm leaving the system powered up, so the MKV is on right now and playing Radio 2. I'll listen some more tonight, and attempt to make comparisons between the MKV and the headphone socket in the Cyrus Pre X.

regards, Robert
post #64 of 735
The amp needs a good 100 hours on it.

I used this program with the pink noise option from this site >> Download section for Burninwave generator

and ran it 120 minutes with 30 minute rests for 5 days (default settings) hooked up to my laptop. It does it all by itself so you can leave the amp on 24 hours per day untill next week. Believe me there is a big difference once you do this. The amp sounds much better. All the people that say burn in is bull don't have hi-fi ears. HA

I broke in the amp and the headphones at the same time.
post #65 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_cyrus View Post
I sneaked out of work at 10 to 5, made it to the PO at 1/4 past 5, and had the MKV connected up by 1/2 past 5. So that's 30 Jan - collected from Little Tube and left China, 05 Feb arrived in UK, 06 Feb attempted delivery and waiting for me at local village post office.
Not bad service!
The package got through customs and excise without me being charged extra for import duty, which I estimate would have added another $60 - which is nice!

Now the start of a review:
The unit is pretty big, sat next to my Slee phono stage - but then it does have power transformers inside rather than an offboard psu. I'd already got the wires waiting for its arrival, so was a simple case of connecting it up.

Full system is:
SimAudio Moon Nova cd player -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference -> Cyrus Pre X -> tape out -> Black Rhodium interconnect -> Little Dot MKV.
All 3 components (cd player, pre amp, headphone amp) are powered from an Isotek Minisub mains conditioner.
Headphones are Sennheiser HD580's (100% stock) and I use an extension cable made from Neutrik plugs and van damme cable.

The unit is well constructed, looks good, solid connectors, positive volume control, decent switches, the leds are quite bright but that's all. The volume control range is such that 9 o'clock is loud, so I settled on somewhere between 8 and 9 as being a good comfortable volume (I'll confirm the exact marking later). Selecting input 2 I could still hear input 1, but for my purposes, input 2 is likely to remain unused, so this is not an issue.

So how did it sound?
Last week I put another 100 hours on the 'phones in preparation, as I'm not sure how often I've used them in the past.

Straight from the box and cold, it was perfectly acceptable. I listened to 2 recent purchases, the recent Jeff Buckley "best of" and Cowboy Junkies "Trinity revisited". There was already decent bass extension, decent attack on drums, good stereo imaging.

I'm leaving the system powered up, so the MKV is on right now and playing Radio 2. I'll listen some more tonight, and attempt to make comparisons between the MKV and the headphone socket in the Cyrus Pre X.

regards, Robert
Congratulations! I went back over my notes and I believe that 100hrs is all you will need to "mature" the MKV totally. It should make a wonderful addition to your very nice stack!
post #66 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl357 View Post
The amp needs a good 100 hours on it.

I used this program with the pink noise option from this site >> Download section for Burninwave generator

and ran it 120 minutes with 30 minute rests for 5 days (default settings) hooked up to my laptop. It does it all by itself so you can leave the amp on 24 hours untill next week. Beleive me there is a big difference once you do this. The amp sounds much better. All the people that say burnin is bull don't have hi-fi ears. HA

I broke in the amp and the headphones at the same time.
Oh, well here is another 100hrs recommendation, so I guess my notes weren't to far off. Thanks for the link. I've been looking for it. I was going to mention how I have the MKV hooked up to my SPEC1 pre-amp. I took Tape 2 record out and ran in to input 1 on the MKV. Then, I took the output of my Zero DAC, and ran it to AUX1 on the SPEC1. With it connected this way, I can listen to the MKV from any source playing on the SPEC1, including the Zero's output, all of this without having the SPEC1 powered up! This really has opened up the possibilities and it sounds fantastic!

The other unconventional thing I did was run a 25' optical cable around the room to my desktop computer's X-Fi Optical out. Now I can play lossless recordings from my computer, to the Zero DAC and out to the SPEC1 and listen to the rest of the system, record, listen with headphones, whatever I want to do. My whole home office is now connected together and the sound is way better than I thought possible.
post #67 of 735
Anyone tried changing different op-amps on the LD MKV?
post #68 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosrah View Post
Anyone tried changing different op-amps on the LD MKV?
Not that I'm aware of. I think about it sometimes, but the stock ones make for such a nice sound, I'm not even sure if it would be worth the effort.
post #69 of 735
I didnt do much a/b'ing, so need to experiment more, but last night I was a little disappointed in that the MKV didn't do much if anything over the headphone socket in the back of the Cyrus Pre X. They sounded remarkably similar. I might need to do a bit of cable swapping, as the MKV takes its feed from the tape out on the preamp, not direct from source, and so perhaps a better interconnect might help.

The other experiment I'm going to attempt, to minimise the memory effect as much as possible, is to use 2 pairs of ipod headphones (the only one of which I have 2 pairs) so that I can swap quickly from Pre X to MKV - though the limitation here is the 'phones themselves and as I type I wonder if this might prove to be a pointless test.
post #70 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_cyrus View Post
I didnt do much a/b'ing, so need to experiment more, but last night I was a little disappointed in that the MKV didn't do much if anything over the headphone socket in the back of the Cyrus Pre X. They sounded remarkably similar. I might need to do a bit of cable swapping, as the MKV takes its feed from the tape out on the preamp, not direct from source, and so perhaps a better interconnect might help.

The other experiment I'm going to attempt, to minimise the memory effect as much as possible, is to use 2 pairs of ipod headphones (the only one of which I have 2 pairs) so that I can swap quickly from Pre X to MKV - though the limitation here is the 'phones themselves and as I type I wonder if this might prove to be a pointless test.
I'm not sure if the iPod headphones are going to help much. Another check you could try, would be to hook directly to your source. There was a noticeable difference in my case, between the pre-amp output and the source. However, my headphone output on my pre-amp is not functioning, so I was willing to continue using the "record out" to the MKV. When I hook directly to my DAC or one of my RTR's, it is quite astounding! It's worth a try to see if your HD-580s show the difference.
post #71 of 735
Do you need to de-solder the current opamps if you wanted to change it or the designer already provide DIP socket?
post #72 of 735
Out of interest how does this compare with the (around half price, yet op-amp customisable) Zero 24bit DAC/amp?
post #73 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capunk View Post
Do you need to de-solder the current opamps if you wanted to change it or the designer already provide DIP socket?
They are in sockets, here:



Have a good one!
post #74 of 735
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookygonk View Post
Out of interest how does this compare with the (around half price, yet op-amp customisable) Zero 24bit DAC/amp?
Usually a visual will help in these matters. Ok, here is the headphone amp board in the Zero:



Here is the internals shot of the MKV Dual Mono Design:



There really is no comparison.
post #75 of 735
Excellent review, Penchum.

Enjoy your new amp!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier